Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Shenmue I & II - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Shenmue I & II The saga begins... again

#16 User is offline Mecha Sally 

Posted 23 August 2018 - 06:25 PM

View PostDigitalDuck, on 23 August 2018 - 06:10 AM, said:

Yeah, the PS4 version seems to have the bulk of the problems at the moment because it's a couple of patches behind.

And that was the version I was looking to get. Go figure -.- I guess I'll be waiting a bit to pick it up.

#17 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 23 August 2018 - 09:56 PM

• Wiki edits:6

View Postitsstillthinking, on 23 August 2018 - 06:00 PM, said:

What i find interesting though is that the compression found in the first game in this collection is far worse than the DC version. It could be the audio mixing but i played though it a good chunk last week (On a Dreamcast SD card for fun) and the compression is defiantly not as bad

I'm guessing they didn't want to pay to license CRI middleware. On the PC version, all of the voices have been converted from ADX (Shenmue I) and AHX (Shenmue II) to xWMA. Yet they're still packed into an AFS container. I assume the console ports are using the same format or something platform appropriate. The original files seem to have been decoded incorrectly, resulting in the volume increase causing clipping and making things sound worse. This problem mostly affects Shenmue I.

#18 User is offline itsstillthinking 

Posted 24 August 2018 - 12:41 AM

• Project:Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 Dreamcast Website, Sega Saturn Netlink Voip

View Postsonicblur, on 23 August 2018 - 09:56 PM, said:

What i find interesting though is that the compression found in the first game in this collection is far worse than the DC version. It could be the audio mixing but i played though it a good chunk last week (On a Dreamcast SD card for fun) and the compression is defiantly not as bad

I'm guessing they didn't want to pay to license CRI middleware. On the PC version, all of the voices have been converted from ADX (Shenmue I) and AHX (Shenmue II) to xWMA. Yet they're still packed into an AFS container. I assume the console ports are using the same format or something platform appropriate. The original files seem to have been decoded incorrectly, resulting in the volume increase causing clipping and making things sound worse. This problem mostly affects Shenmue I.

That sounds like good reasoning. I been playing the PS4 version so it might be worse on that version

#19 User is offline Krigo 

Posted 24 August 2018 - 02:18 AM

• Wiki edits:30

View Postitsstillthinking, on 24 August 2018 - 12:41 AM, said:

That sounds like good reasoning. I been playing the PS4 version so it might be worse on that version

I've been playing the PS4 version and have noticed that the Japanese voices seem like they're at a more consistent volume over the English ones.

A shame too, as I'm pretty nostalgic for Shenmue 1's english dub.

#20 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 24 August 2018 - 06:35 AM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL
On the subject of Japanese voices: they're still using the English timings.

Which means that someone will say

something in Japanese but the next part of

the sentence will arrive ten minutes after

the previous part. I originally planned to play through in Japanese but all the awkward pauses were annoying the shit out of me and I had to switch to English. Hopefully when the Japanese version arrives in November they'll make sure the Japanese voices use the Japanese timings.

#21 User is offline Krigo 

Posted 24 August 2018 - 02:34 PM

• Wiki edits:30

View PostDigitalDuck, on 24 August 2018 - 06:35 AM, said:

the previous part. I originally planned to play through in Japanese but all the awkward pauses were annoying the shit out of me and I had to switch to English. Hopefully when the Japanese version arrives in November they'll make sure the Japanese voices use the Japanese timings.

Out of curiosity, is Shenmue 2 HD like that too?

I think you'd need to hold me at gunpoint to play Shenmue 2 dubbed.

#22 User is offline 360 

Posted 24 August 2018 - 03:56 PM

• Light Vision Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
Played Shenmue 1 in English back in the DC days and thought it was charming in its own B-movie way. That said I played Shenmue 2 in Japanese (had to, as the European DC release only had Japanese at the time - until Shenmue 2X on the Xbox had English which came much later) and God it was a so much better and more authentic experience that I think greatly amplified my enjoyment of the game. I remember thinking that Japanese was the way to go for both games, thinking the Japanese voice acting in 2 was just of a much higher standard relative to the English in Shenmue 1. It's hard to distinguish (especially given my hazy memory given this was so long ago) but I remember thinking that the Japanese voice actors in 2 actually gave a fuck and wanted to produce a movie-like performance and in that I think they succeeded. I remember thinking the Japanese voice actor for Ren in particular was just fucking amazing. Personified the character perfectly.

Good to hear you guys are enjoying the hell out of these games without much issue so far. Personally I'll be going PC but I'm waiting on an upcoming patch or two first.
This post has been edited by 360: 24 August 2018 - 03:59 PM

#23 User is offline Blue Spikeball 

Posted 24 August 2018 - 06:04 PM

View PostDigitalDuck, on 24 August 2018 - 06:35 AM, said:

Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably hold out on playing this port it until either someone fixes the timings in the PC version, or the Japanese version comes out. Hopefully the latter has right Japanese timings and includes an option for English subs and interface.
This post has been edited by Blue Spikeball: 24 August 2018 - 06:11 PM

#24 User is offline itsstillthinking 

Posted 25 August 2018 - 01:46 AM

• Project:Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 Dreamcast Website, Sega Saturn Netlink Voip
Unpopular opinion, i actually prefer the English Voice acting and probably will never try the Japanese dialog it in Shenmue 1. When i first beat Shenmue 1 i loved the voices for the same reasons as everyone else does. When shortly after i picked up the PAL copy and played threw that i found it less engaging, at least to me in terms of characters.

When i picked up the Xbox version sometime after that and played through it i must say i enjoyed it more for that reason, again unpopular but i though by Chapter 4 the voice acting quality in general really started to improve. Especially the many hours of conversations in Guilin

#25 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 25 August 2018 - 09:46 PM

View Postitsstillthinking, on 25 August 2018 - 01:46 AM, said:

When i picked up the Xbox version sometime after that and played through it i must say i enjoyed it more for that reason, again unpopular but i though by Chapter 4 the voice acting quality in general really started to improve. Especially the many hours of conversations in Guilin

But once you get to Guilin, it's just Ryo and Shenhua who are two main characters, and main characters got the good voice actors. The ones people make fun of are the bargain basement voice actors, where they had single people try to voice a handful of characters and that's where you end up with stuff like Wang who sounds like Kermit the Frog. I don't mind the English dub either, but for my first playthrough I'm playing both in Japanese. I've never played the first one in Japanese and since I've been slowly trying to learn that for the past year it's a nice experience to recognize some phrases occasionally. And I'm really looking forward to Shenmue 2, because I'll finally get to see how the male dub of Yuan compares to the female dub since they're using the uncensored version. When my copy of the Japanese Limited Edition arrives in November, I'll probably play that in English.

Regarding the timings, at least in Shenmue II they were stored in a separate file from the voice clips themselves. The same problems happened when people swapped the voices there. I had a pretty good idea at one point of where the timings were stored (not anymore) but never found the motivation to sit down and figure out the format difference between Xbox and Dreamcast to port them between the two versions. d3t seems to have done the same things fans did, and just used the same timing data for both.

#26 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 25 August 2018 - 10:32 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2

I'm guessing they didn't want to pay to license CRI middleware.

Doesn't Sega own CRI?

#27 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 26 August 2018 - 06:31 AM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL
I got the cutscene bug yesterday and it's amazing:

#28 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:13 AM

View PostJaxTH, on 25 August 2018 - 10:32 PM, said:

I'm guessing they didn't want to pay to license CRI middleware.

Doesn't Sega own CRI?

No.

View PostDigitalDuck, on 26 August 2018 - 06:31 AM, said:

I got the cutscene bug yesterday and it's amazing:

I'm behind where I wanted to be (busy most of the weekend) and I finally reached that point today. Got the cutscene bug for the first time on the scene after finding the phoenix mirror, like many people seem to have. Saved my game, closed the game and relaunched it and all cutscenes since then have been fine.

In other words, restarting the game seems to solve the problem.
This post has been edited by sonicblur: 26 August 2018 - 10:20 PM

#29 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 31 August 2018 - 05:49 PM

• Model2wannaB
  • Project:Formerly Sonic the Fighters
I haven't bought it yet but I was just aware there was a beta branch on Steam. This really excites me as I wonder if things like Passport could be restored through this track for potential paid DLC? I would pay additional for the Passport restoration!

Source:

Shenmue PC patch v2 now live on beta branch
Hi Shenmue fans,

Thank you for your patience and all your feedback on the previous patch. We've now rolled patch v1.01 over to the default branch and are staging a new patch v2 on a beta branch for community testing. As always, participation in this patch is voluntary, if you are not experiencing any of the issues below we recommend you stay on the default branch and do not download the patch.

Please note that patch v2 includes the fixes from patch v1.01, and so the patch notes include fixes from both patches.

Your feedback helps us a great deal. Please report any issue you encounter post-patch in this thread with your system specs.

To access the beta branch:
Right-click Shenmue I & II in your game library and select Properties.
Select the BETAS tab.
Enter the password luhIQLdMeQoDatbibCxK and press the CHECK CODE button (N.B. don't press enter, you'll close the whole window by mistake).
Choose beta in the drop-down menu.
The build will start downloading.

Patch notes (v2):

UI
• Fixed various instances of incorrect help screen text displayed around the game.
• Fixed various instances of incorrect button prompts being shown in the HUD.
• Fixed duplicated button prompts in QTE Title 2.
• Fixed an occasional issue when transitioning into the menu when in Shenmue 1.
• Fixed an issue with 2560 x 1080 UI resolutions.
• Fixed issues with resolutions wider than 2560.
• Fixed an issue with QTE prompts not flashing.

Controls
• Fixed inconsistencies when sparring in the dojo.

Graphical Issues
• Fixed various character skinning issues.
• Fixed an issue that caused bloom to re-enable itself when opening the notebook.
• Fixed an issue that would cause crushed blacks on some hardware setups.
• Fixed various instances of missing geometry and textures.
• Fixed various issues with cameras being incorrect in cut scenes.
• Fixed issues with hair sometimes rendering slightly transparent.
• Fixed some instances of missing facial animation.
• Fixed occasional issues with cloth rendering.

Miscellaneous
• Fixed an issue that caused increased CPU load on some hardware.
• Various stability improvements.
• Fixed a soft-lock when playing Shenmue 1 arcade games past Ryo's bed time.
• Fixed an issue that could cause stuttering on monitors that support 75Hz refresh rates.
• The gong in Bunkado Antiques can now be interacted with.
• Fixing various instances of localisation issues.
• Fixed an issue in Shenmue 1 where sleeping would sometimes not update move experience.
• Various performance improvements.

Audio
• Fixed various instances of crackling background music.
• Fixed crackling while listening to cassettes.
• Fixed various issues with arcade game audio.
• Fixed issues with rain.
• Fixed issues with some sound effects not looping correctly.
• Fixed issues with some sound effects crackling.

Thanks,
SEGA Dev

#30 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 01 September 2018 - 11:35 AM

View Postbiggestsonicfan, on 31 August 2018 - 05:49 PM, said:

I haven't bought it yet but I was just aware there was a beta branch on Steam. This really excites me as I wonder if things like Passport could be restored through this track for potential paid DLC? I would pay additional for the Passport restoration!

I think it's unlikely. The releases have many noticeable issues and the beta branch exists to show Sega's commitment to patching the game to fix those issues. Once the Japanese release is out in November, I'm expecting them to basically stop supporting the game.

On that note, I finished my playthrough of Shenmue 1 yesterday. (PS4 version, 1.0.1) I only encountered the cutscene problem twice: the first time being the cutscene after recovering the mirror that I already mentioned, and the second being during Ryo's 2nd day of work when he's driving to Warehouse #3. The first half of the cutscene outside was fine, it didn't glitch until he's in the warehouse but it's fine as soon as the fight starts. As soon as work was over that day, I saved and restarted the game and didn't encounter the cutscene bug for the rest of the game. Also had no problem saving after the credits, but I made sure to press the triggers on my controller every minute or so to prevent it from going to sleep. (I had noticed during normal playthrough that controller sleep is bugged. I would pause the game to go do something and as soon as my controller went to sleep the game would unpause and the "no controller connected" message would come up) Ended up with every single trophy + Platinum on the first game.

I didn't go to the level of completion that I originally intended. I was hoping to get a full capsule toy collection, but I decided that was too time consuming since I blew most of Ryo's money at the beginning buying all of the move scrolls so I didn't have enough money to buy lots of capsule toys until the 3rd disc where you've basically set your fate towards amount of game time left.

For Shenmue II, I haven't decided yet if I want to try for all of the move scrolls. I did one of the two really hard to get lucky hit scrolls on Dreamcast, that took hours. But I'll at least be trying for all trophies on the first playthrough. Not going to do the Fengmei sidequest due to starting in January, but I will definitely do duck racing.

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users