Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sega 1966 price list - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Sega 1966 price list

#1 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 23 June 2018 - 04:26 PM

• maybe she's born with it
  • Project:maybe it's maybelline
  • Wiki edits:20,569
So I came across this:

https://blog.goo.ne....a54522900035693

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

This is a "Nedan-hyō" (値段表) or "price list"of things our favourite company was selling in 1966. The resolution's a bit too low for a lot of it to be useful, but we know comparitively little about the 1950s/60s/70s so everything's a plus.

When this was produced, Sega's core business was importing things from the US for distribution in Japan. So actually most of this catalogue is Rock-Ola, Bally and Williams stuff with a Sega badge presumably slapped on somewhere.

There are undocumented Sega arcade games though, that I can't prove exist(ed)

- "Jungle Gun" (ジャングルガン)
- "Western Gun" (ウエスタンガン)

(all that's known about Space Ace is that a dusty cabinet existed once)

But what I'm most confused about is that last page, where there seems to be talk of model cars and railways. There's a Ford GT there. Were Sega selling model Ford GTs? That's an interesting thing.

#2 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:44 AM

• Wiki edits:6
Are you sure Jungle Gun isn't just one of these?
https://www.arcade-m...p?game_id=17458

My uncle used to collect & repair old arcade games, and had one of those at one point. The part in the back is actually mirror, everything that you shoot at is down inside the machine.

Edit: I see the sheet has it labeled as Sega, so I guess not? Western gun is pretty cheap, maybe it was a table-top machine?
This post has been edited by sonicblur: 24 June 2018 - 09:46 AM

#3 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 24 June 2018 - 02:26 PM

• maybe she's born with it
  • Project:maybe it's maybelline
  • Wiki edits:20,569
These are (presumably) electro-mechanical machines, so it would have been beefy.

In Japan, you don't visit an "arcade", you visit a "game centre", but apparently in the early days, when your choices were limited, these venues were called "gun corners" (later "game corners"). That is to say, until pinball and bowling became more of a thing, most games were about shooting things with guns.

So I'm thinking perhaps that "Western Gun" is less of a game, and more of a... old Western-style gun that you could fit to some pre-existing cabinet.

#4 User is offline Scarred Sun 

Posted 24 June 2018 - 06:58 PM

• In Defense of Lost Causes
  • Project:Staying woke
  • Wiki edits:36,091

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 24 June 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

These are (presumably) electro-mechanical machines, so it would have been beefy.

In Japan, you don't visit an "arcade", you visit a "game centre", but apparently in the early days, when your choices were limited, these venues were called "gun corners" (later "game corners"). That is to say, until pinball and bowling became more of a thing, most games were about shooting things with guns.

So I'm thinking perhaps that "Western Gun" is less of a game, and more of a... old Western-style gun that you could fit to some pre-existing cabinet.

I'm willing to bet the same, given the price.

As far as the last page goes, that doesn't surprise me too much--I've dug up stuff on bumper cars and other oddities from around that time, so I'm guessing they may be actual rides. I'd need to actually translate it to make a call on that, though.

#5 User is offline Gryson 

Posted 24 July 2018 - 07:01 AM

The last page is referring to slot car racing. It's hard to make out some of the text, but Sega was importing and selling "model car racing kits" and "home racing sets" as well as setting up circuits (tracks) at various locations.

According to Wikipedia, slot car racing became popular in Japan in the 1960s, and tracks could be found at game centers and bowling alleys and such. According to that page, the market soon crashed due to it being too difficult for beginners to get into the hobby because of "maniac" hobbyists, and children couldn't easily join due to high costs and it being judged as a hobby of low morals because many adults were gambling on races.
This post has been edited by Gryson: 24 July 2018 - 07:02 AM

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users