Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Region coding - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Region coding

#16 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:25 AM

• maybe she's born with it
  • Project:maybe it's maybelline
  • Wiki edits:20,569

View PostThe Claw, on 10 June 2018 - 01:28 AM, said:

A somewhat related mystery, is I've seen games with leftover text for error screens.
Despite all copies being region free.

I'm not sure about hacking such games to see if never-used yet functional error screens remain.

Also makes me wonder how many games deliberately recognize the rare occurrence of 50hz/JPN mode (some emulators don't support this).
I was pleasantly surprised PAL Chaotix displays the game's minimal Japanese text fine.

I would quite like to document this as well, much like the secrets pages on Sonic Retro. You could argue that TCRF will always be ahead in this regard as their volunteers are more devoted to the subject, but I think a bit of friendly competition is healthy. Also all Sega-related information should belong on Sega Retro - I want to see prototypes documented up there one day too, so it's all organised in one place.

Dissecting ROMs is outside my current set of skills though. Someone else would have to take the lead on that front.

#17 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 06 September 2018 - 01:48 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Bump

Regarding my post above: Jon has actually made a video on it, including the region switch part!

#18 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 06 September 2018 - 04:09 PM

• maybe she's born with it
  • Project:maybe it's maybelline
  • Wiki edits:20,569
I forgot to add that:

Mickey Mania: The Timeless Adventures of Mickey Mouse/Hidden content

ding!

For the record I think we have region coding pages for all Mega Drive/32X games. Never has a list been more accurate.

We're also the best resource in the world for the same basic messages in different fonts. Truly a time to be alive.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users