Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Mega LD dumping project - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 10 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Mega LD dumping project

#16 User is offline Meat Miracle 

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

  • Posts: 1634
  • Joined: 11-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:2
Not enough bubblewrap.

#17 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

  • Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Posts: 17028
  • Joined: 12-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Berkshire, England
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Your risk-running is for the greater good of the long-term gaming community archive, Eggfan. Grateful that you're doing this for all of us. =P

#18 User is offline doc eggfan 

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:03 AM

  • bona fide games journalist
  • Posts: 9000
  • Joined: 19-May 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:ACT
  • Project:GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
  • Wiki edits:2

View Postdoc eggfan, on 03 February 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

What's the likelyhood of raising about $1600 in the next couple of days?

http://www.ebay.com/...d-/151223300519

I'll pay for half if I can scrounge up the other half. (Of course, this is just me using your money to add to my collection, but I'll get it dumped too).


The sellers willing to give me 3 months to pony up the dough. Do you reckon we could rally 20 awesome individuals to send me $5 a week for the next 12 weeks. That gets me $1200 in 3 months, and I can manage the rest. Any volunteers to help me fund the dump of this rare piece of gaming history?

#19 User is offline Pirate Dragon 

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:48 AM

  • Posts: 163
  • Joined: 28-August 12
If you can get 19 others I'll chuck $60 towards it at some point within the next 3 months.

#20 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:08 AM

  • Pudding Deity
  • Posts: 8212
  • Joined: 29-March 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Los Angeles
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2
Jesus Christ, less than 10 were pressed? No wonder nobody wants to open theirs then.

#21 User is offline Pirate Dragon 

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

  • Posts: 163
  • Joined: 28-August 12

Quote

Both sides are identical and play in the LA. Picture 2 and Picture 3 are of different sides of the disc, in very good physical condition. (This is a plus, if it EVER got scratched, you still would be alright!


That really isn't a plus;

http://en.wikipedia....c_rot#Laser_rot

Quote

Laser Rot is the appearance of video and audio artifacts during the playback of Laserdiscs, and their progressive worsening over time.[2] It is most commonly attributed to oxidation in the aluminum layers by poor quality adhesives used to bond the disc halves together.[2] Single-sided video discs did not appear to suffer from laser rot while double-sided discs did. The name Laser Rot is a misnomer; the disc degradation does not involve the player's laser.[2]

Laser rot was indicated by the appearance of multi-colored speckles appearing in the video output of a laserdisc during playback. The speckles increased in volume and frequency as the disc continued to degrade. Much of the early production run of MCA DiscoVision Discs had severe laser rot. Many DiscoVision titles have ceased to function since their pressings in the late 1970s. Also, in the 1990s, LaserDiscs manufactured by Sony's DADC plant in Terre Haute, Indiana were plagued by laser rot.


With such few pressings of this particular double sided disc it's really important that it's preserved before it's too late, hopefully others will come forward to make it happen whilst we still can.
This post has been edited by Pirate Dragon: 23 February 2014 - 05:22 PM

#22 User is offline doc eggfan 

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:45 AM

  • bona fide games journalist
  • Posts: 9000
  • Joined: 19-May 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:ACT
  • Project:GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
  • Wiki edits:2
btw, Nemmie reports that the package arrived safe and sound.

#23 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:52 PM

  • Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Posts: 17028
  • Joined: 12-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Berkshire, England
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
That's a relief. Mind you, that's only half the transit. =P

#24 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:46 AM

  • Pudding Deity
  • Posts: 8212
  • Joined: 29-March 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Los Angeles
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2

View Postdoc eggfan, on 03 February 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

What's the likelyhood of raising about $1600 in the next couple of days?

http://www.ebay.com/...d-/151223300519

I'll pay for half if I can scrounge up the other half. (Of course, this is just me using your money to add to my collection, but I'll get it dumped too).

How is this going?

#25 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

  • NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Posts: 4198
  • Joined: 06-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:9

View PostPirate Dragon, on 23 February 2014 - 05:21 PM, said:

Quote

Both sides are identical and play in the LA. Picture 2 and Picture 3 are of different sides of the disc, in very good physical condition. (This is a plus, if it EVER got scratched, you still would be alright!


That really isn't a plus;

http://en.wikipedia....c_rot#Laser_rot

Quote

Laser Rot is the appearance of video and audio artifacts during the playback of Laserdiscs, and their progressive worsening over time.[2] It is most commonly attributed to oxidation in the aluminum layers by poor quality adhesives used to bond the disc halves together.[2] Single-sided video discs did not appear to suffer from laser rot while double-sided discs did. The name Laser Rot is a misnomer; the disc degradation does not involve the player's laser.[2]

Laser rot was indicated by the appearance of multi-colored speckles appearing in the video output of a laserdisc during playback. The speckles increased in volume and frequency as the disc continued to degrade. Much of the early production run of MCA DiscoVision Discs had severe laser rot. Many DiscoVision titles have ceased to function since their pressings in the late 1970s. Also, in the 1990s, LaserDiscs manufactured by Sony's DADC plant in Terre Haute, Indiana were plagued by laser rot.


With such few pressings of this particular double sided disc it's really important that it's preserved before it's too late, hopefully others will come forward to make it happen whilst we still can.


Quite a few of my own LDs (video LD, not MegaLD) exhibit this. I have a copy of Mortal Kombat on LD that is entirely unwatchable now.

#26 User is offline doc eggfan 

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:05 PM

  • bona fide games journalist
  • Posts: 9000
  • Joined: 19-May 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:ACT
  • Project:GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostJaxTH, on 02 April 2014 - 03:46 AM, said:

View Postdoc eggfan, on 03 February 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

What's the likelyhood of raising about $1600 in the next couple of days?

How is this going?

Piss poor. You guys suck. I ended up buying it by myself and I'm going to lock it away and hoard it forever and ever, cos I'm petty and mean. Muahahaha!

It should arrive soon, it got through Australian customs last Wednesday. I'll then send it on to Nemmie to dump and maybe even patch up the code to fix the broken menus so we can release the definitive version for emulation.

Maybe we can even arrange for a donation drive on release (because sure as eggs I'll still be paying it off by then).

#27 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:12 PM

  • NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Posts: 4198
  • Joined: 06-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:9

View Postdoc eggfan, on 07 April 2014 - 06:05 PM, said:

View PostJaxTH, on 02 April 2014 - 03:46 AM, said:

View Postdoc eggfan, on 03 February 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

What's the likelyhood of raising about $1600 in the next couple of days?

How is this going?

Piss poor. You guys suck. I ended up buying it by myself and I'm going to lock it away and hoard it forever and ever, cos I'm petty and mean. Muahahaha!

It should arrive soon, it got through Australian customs last Wednesday. I'll then send it on to Nemmie to dump and maybe even patch up the code to fix the broken menus so we can release the definitive version for emulation.

Maybe we can even arrange for a donation drive on release (because sure as eggs I'll still be paying it off by then).


Set up a donation drive and I'll chip in.

#28 User is offline doc eggfan 

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:09 AM

  • bona fide games journalist
  • Posts: 9000
  • Joined: 19-May 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:ACT
  • Project:GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
  • Wiki edits:2
Well, I thought it got through customs. I have to submit a form so they can calculate any tariffs or duties. I think I'm right as "Video Games of a kind used with a television receiver" are exempt.

#29 User is offline Zeether 

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:01 PM

  • Posts: 80
  • Joined: 10-April 14
I heard about this and it's really awesome that progress is being made. Not only is laser rot a factor in this but the PACs have really crappy capacitors that can easily get blown and have to be painstakingly replaced.

Also, Triad Stone kicks ass and is like Dragon's Lair with an ultra cheesy announcer who shouts "POWER! POWER! MORE POWER!"

#30 User is offline doc eggfan 

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

  • bona fide games journalist
  • Posts: 9000
  • Joined: 19-May 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:ACT
  • Project:GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
  • Wiki edits:2
After paying $2400 for the Myst 02-110 prototype, this happens:

Myst prototype 02-111

Posted Image
This post has been edited by doc eggfan: 10 April 2014 - 08:53 PM

  • 10 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • Last ►
    Locked
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users