Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: General Questions and Information Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 48 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

General Questions and Information Thread was More requests/B-Club, PSIV, and some game ID for now :/

#691 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 03 November 2018 - 02:49 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 03 November 2018 - 12:37 PM, said:

Here's something nobody wrote down - "Shenmue Forest" (or maybe "Shenmue no Mori" (シェンムー の森) idk). Looks like they had the clay models of the characters' heads on display. And plastic trees.

Completely undocumented, and now really hard to find because Shenmue III exists (and it has forests in it).

Searching for "シェンムー の森" gave me this (in Japanese).
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 03 November 2018 - 02:50 PM

#692 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 03 November 2018 - 03:14 PM

• Model2wannaB
  • Project:Formerly Sonic the Fighters

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 03 November 2018 - 12:37 PM, said:

I swear to god... each time I want to view an enlarged page of a magazine, I click on it, and it downloads the entire magazine. Is there a way to view individual pages on the wiki at their highest resolutions without downloading the entire magazine? It's really, really, really annoying for those of us wanting to contextually read the linked blurb...

#693 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 03 November 2018 - 03:35 PM

• maybe she's born with it
  • Project:maybe it's maybelline
  • Wiki edits:20,569
It's a quirk in the PDF Mediawiki extension - it's just not very good at rendering thumbnails (which is why we've got a lot of them turned off on Sega Retro). I too am waiting for a fix.

If you put [[File:Edge UK 073.pdf|page=132|1000px]] on a page, then preview (don't save) it'll render it at a decent size. But it doesn't work with every magazine and I've yet to work out why.

I think it ties itself to a dpi setting somewhere, which can vary depending on how the JPEGs/PDF was saved. Currently this system isn't so good for "reading", but fine for saying "the source is here... honest".

#694 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 03 November 2018 - 03:41 PM

• Model2wannaB

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 03 November 2018 - 03:35 PM, said:

It's a quirk in the PDF Mediawiki extension ... I too am waiting for a fix.

I've had six issues with the Mediawiki which just end up being a technical limitation. It's why I don't upload to it at all.

EDIT: That being said, I recently saw something, I think it was when I was investigating Yu Suzuki's Tower of Babel being found playable, about Ryo walking around in this area.

Posted Image

Are you sure all these shots isn't just some Dreamcast demo?
This post has been edited by biggestsonicfan: 03 November 2018 - 03:45 PM

#695 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 06 November 2018 - 05:03 PM

I am far too tired for this on a Tuesday evening.

Went looking for one obscure Sega-related venture, came back with another:

Posted Image

Curious packages from the 2018 Tokyo Game Show...

Posted Image

Bath salts. Now you can bathe in Dreamcast.

oh and don't get it confused with the Dreamcast rice - that would be embarassing!
Posted Image

The Dreamcast turns 20 this year, while the Mega Drive just turned 30, so Sega are selling a lot of merchandise as of late. It might also be a concerted effort to make sure Sega Retro can never hope to document this company in full.

#696 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:14 PM

Exciting challenge:

Posted Image

Which event is this? I'm guessing a CES from 1982/1983-ish, but that's about as far as I have time to get today.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock is an unreleased LaserDisc arcade game that Sega made. That might give you some clues.

#697 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:18 PM

(Winter CESes happened in Las Vagas in January, Summer CESes happened in Chicago in June.)

Go go gadget eyesight:

THE MOVIE
Opening in over xx00 theaters
xxx xxx June 198x

THE ARCADE GAME
xx xx xx xxx designed by
SEGA Distributed by BALLY/MIDWAY

Star Trek III (the film) was apparently greenlit on the day Star Trek II opened, which means this isn't Winter CES 1982 and is unlikely to be Summer CES 1982.

The game was cancelled in 1984, so my guess is it's not Summer CES 1984. The film also opened on 1st June 1984 - before Summer CES 1984 took place.

That means (because I'm pretty sure this is CES), either Winter CES 1983, Summer CES 1983 or Winter CES 1984. I think it's a Winter show - those yellow "aisle" banners seem to show up in Winter footage (but maybe they were installed in Chicago too?)

If you look closely, there's a reference to the Atari 1200XL. That computer was announced at Winter CES 1983 and didn't go on sale until March. So it's probably not that event.

Congo Bongo has a 1983 copyright, but it could have been delayed (or already released). That Wico Computer Command also has a 1983 copyright.

I suppose there's a chance this is Summer CES 1983, but if you had Star Trek III in a playable form, you'd think it would have been made available by Christmas. It didn't take long to make video games back then - that's why there were so many.

My current guess is this is Winter CES 1984.

#698 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 10 November 2018 - 11:06 AM

Presenting one of the least effective "don't drink and drive" adverts ever made

I think maybe the best thing about this is that, while the rules said Sega couldn't get any credit, the US were quite happy to show off the unlicensed Ferrari Testarosa.

Also in OutRun you can crash as many times as you like without consequence. Nobody dies, you just probably won't have time to get to where you're going.

There's supposed to be a longer one from 1987, but hey.

#699 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 10 November 2018 - 04:42 PM

Useless Sega fact of the day:

In 1968, Sega bought a computer.

Posted Image

THE CENTURY 100 FROM NCR

They were the first company in Japan to purchase one of these, back when buying a computer made the news.

I've spent the day uploading issues of Cash Box, which should go some way to documenting what Sega were doing in the 1960s and 70s. These were all originally archived as PDF/A which makes them horrible to work with, but when information is scarce, you take what you can get. David Rosen turns up all the time (and even makes it on the cover of one issue) - I think our coverage needs updating.

Other things I've learned:

- Sega officially became an American company in the 1970s for a bit. Sega Enterprises, Inc. became the parent of Sega Enterprises, Ltd., but then at some point, Japan became the main base again.

- Sega acquired some "Kingdom of Oz" shopping centres in California in 1976. I can't find photographic evidence that they ever existed though.

- Michael Eisner, who was the main driving force behind Disney for much of the 80s and 90s... was once on the board of Sega. It's a small world (after all).

#700 User is offline Asagoth 

Posted 10 November 2018 - 05:16 PM

• Behold ... the mighty... the flawless... salted cod eater...
September 4th, 1976 issue of Billboard... some more info...

Edit: these are results for the 70s... but you can filter your search as you wish... lots of ''old'' info...
This post has been edited by Asagoth: 10 November 2018 - 05:24 PM

#701 User is offline Pirate Dragon 

Posted 11 November 2018 - 03:43 PM

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 09 November 2018 - 04:18 PM, said:

(Winter CESes happened in Las Vagas in January, Summer CESes happened in Chicago in June.)

Go go gadget eyesight:

THE MOVIE
Opening in over xx00 theaters
xxx xxx June 198x

THE ARCADE GAME
xx xx xx xxx designed by
SEGA Distributed by BALLY/MIDWAY

Star Trek III (the film) was apparently greenlit on the day Star Trek II opened, which means this isn't Winter CES 1982 and is unlikely to be Summer CES 1982.

The game was cancelled in 1984, so my guess is it's not Summer CES 1984. The film also opened on 1st June 1984 - before Summer CES 1984 took place.

That means (because I'm pretty sure this is CES), either Winter CES 1983, Summer CES 1983 or Winter CES 1984. I think it's a Winter show - those yellow "aisle" banners seem to show up in Winter footage (but maybe they were installed in Chicago too?)

If you look closely, there's a reference to the Atari 1200XL. That computer was announced at Winter CES 1983 and didn't go on sale until March. So it's probably not that event.

Congo Bongo has a 1983 copyright, but it could have been delayed (or already released). That Wico Computer Command also has a 1983 copyright.

I suppose there's a chance this is Summer CES 1983, but if you had Star Trek III in a playable form, you'd think it would have been made available by Christmas. It didn't take long to make video games back then - that's why there were so many.

My current guess is this is Winter CES 1984.

It should be Winter CES 1984. Star Trek III was announced there (not playable), and Congo Bongo released December 1984. Wico Computer Command was a range of joysticks that were at several CES shows from this time, so not so useful for dating. Sega don't seem to have had much presence (or at least no significant announcements) at Summer CES 1984.

I should convert and upload the pre-SMS Computer Entertainer newletters.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Pirate Dragon: 13 November 2018 - 03:54 PM

#702 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 11 November 2018 - 08:16 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2
We missed this somehow. Yakuza 3 Remastered is already out.

https://gematsu.com/...nounced-for-ps4

#703 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 13 November 2018 - 02:45 PM

In the latest in the series of "weird things I found accidentally":

https://archive.org/...cial+times&sin=

Virtually every issue of the Financial Times between 1971 and 2000 is up on archive.org. I grabbed a couple before realising that holy christ this is 30 years of business information.

Should answer more questions about Sega was doing in the 1970s and 80s. The scans are barely readible at times but it's something.

#704 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 15 November 2018 - 04:02 PM

Can't be bothered to hunt the links down again.

Here's an initial take on jukebox history: History of Sega/Jukeboxes

Turns out Sega might have been manipulating the Japanese record industry in the 1970s by favouring shorter singles. Music too long? Not getting in our jukeboxes!

#705 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:06 PM

• Model2wannaB

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 15 November 2018 - 04:02 PM, said:

Can't be bothered to hunt the links down again.

Here's an initial take on jukebox history: History of Sega/Jukeboxes

Turns out Sega might have been manipulating the Japanese record industry in the 1970s by favouring shorter singles. Music too long? Not getting in our jukeboxes!

Then did Sega also make wallbox extension units? That fits the time period but I'm not sure about the Japanese locale...

• 48 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users