Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania (and Plus) bugs, oddities and other stuff - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania (and Plus) bugs, oddities and other stuff ~a compilation~

#76 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 20 October 2018 - 08:17 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View Postkyasarintsu, on 20 October 2018 - 08:11 PM, said:

I hope the next game doesn't make us fight a crappy boss at the end of every single act. I wish 3&K didn't popularize the act 1 miniboss idea.

Eh, I actually really like the idea and think that the more bosses the better. Specially with Sonic 3-style long acts. =|
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 20 October 2018 - 10:20 PM

#77 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 20 October 2018 - 09:03 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
Ya I'm fine with the act 1 bosses. Just some of the bosses in Mania feel off. But this precident was set kinda early on even. Sonic 2 iOS mobile's hidden palace boss was garbage and while it was ages ago there was Retro Sonic's egg garden boss, also iirc Sonic Nexus had a garbage boss too.

It's a team of 90% perfect Sonic design, but bosses aren't their strong suit. Not like Sonic bosses have been traditionally great anyway though.

#78 User is offline Prototype 

Posted 20 October 2018 - 11:03 PM

I'd like if they refined the boss system so there was more strategy for each boss. It feels really cheap to get hit once and use your invincibility frames to just pound on the boss, especially since there's no real penalty for losing your rings. I'd like something similar to Sonic 1's end of level Special Rings but for bosses. If you finish a boss while holding onto 50+ rings you get an extra special stage, which would be nice if you had trouble finding the hidden Special Rings during the previous 2 acts.

The boss ideas are always pretty cool, but it's let down by an abuse of the game mechanics. I suppose that may not be a bad thing for people who haven't played a 2D Sonic game before though. But hey, despite my desire for a tightened up boss system, I still do abuse invincibility frames so eh.

#79 User is offline big smile 

Posted 21 October 2018 - 02:04 AM

View PostPrototype, on 20 October 2018 - 11:03 PM, said:

I'd like if they refined the boss system so there was more strategy for each boss. It feels really cheap to get hit once and use your invincibility frames to just pound on the boss, especially since there's no real penalty for losing your rings.

I actually think that's a good aspect of the classic games. For me, momentum is an important part of Sonic games. And bosses usually break that momentum. Being able to use the invincibility trick to get part the boss quickly is a good thing. Then once you've beat the game, you can set yourself the challenge of doing it properly, so you get the satisfaction of developing as a player.

There's a couple of bosses where you can't do the ring thing, and they just tend to draaaag.

If it's a multistage boss where the boss/location changes as the fight progresses then that's a different matter.

Although I like your idea of being able to use saved rings at the end for an extra stage, as it formalizes the benefits of being a skilled player.
This post has been edited by big smile: 21 October 2018 - 02:11 AM

#80 User is offline TheInvisibleSun 

Posted 21 October 2018 - 02:17 AM

• OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST
  • Project:Sonic 1 Color Contrast
@Prototype

There are more than a few examples of bosses in Mania that don't allow 'invincibility frame abuse' though:

CPZ Act 2
SPZ Act 1
FBZ Act 2
PGZ Act 2
The first part of SSZ Act 2's boss
HCZ Act 1
The first part of HCZ Act 2's boss
MSZ Act 1
OOZ Act 2
MMZ Act 1
ERZ

That's 10 out of 25 bosses. I personally don't mind having a healthy balance of mindless Sonic 2-level bosses, and difficult strategic bosses. Mania tried a few new ideas, but some of them were criticized because of a lack of proper conveyance, while some were criticized for being too 'hard' (complaints to which I would personally say, git gud).

Sonic as a series isn't about it's bosses for me, so I'd rather have a few thought provoking twists here and there, than have every single boss encounter be a chore to figure out. I think Mania almost did a great job with it, and I appreciate the attempt to mix things up.
This post has been edited by TheInvisibleSun: 21 October 2018 - 02:19 AM

#81 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 21 October 2018 - 06:02 AM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL
Personally I'd rather they just ditch bosses altogether.

No boss is better than a bad boss.

#82 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 21 October 2018 - 04:06 PM

View Postbig smile, on 21 October 2018 - 02:04 AM, said:

View PostPrototype, on 20 October 2018 - 11:03 PM, said:

I'd like if they refined the boss system so there was more strategy for each boss. It feels really cheap to get hit once and use your invincibility frames to just pound on the boss, especially since there's no real penalty for losing your rings.

I actually think that's a good aspect of the classic games. For me, momentum is an important part of Sonic games. And bosses usually break that momentum. Being able to use the invincibility trick to get part the boss quickly is a good thing.

When there's a huge difference between the time spent beating a boss as intended and spamming the main character's post-hit invincibility (as can happen in Mania's very first boss), that's bad game design, no matter how you see it.

EDIT: Reworded.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 21 October 2018 - 04:51 PM

#83 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 21 October 2018 - 04:58 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Reminder this is about bugs and oddities, not "whine about what you didn't like in Mania".

#84 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 21 October 2018 - 05:03 PM

Just found a physics-related oddity that I'm not sure would happen in 3&K (but maybe?):

(at 5:32)

#85 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 22 October 2018 - 06:43 AM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL

View PostICEknight, on 21 October 2018 - 05:03 PM, said:

Just found a physics-related oddity that I'm not sure would happen in 3&K (but maybe?):

Yup, that's been there since the initial release. Here's a better look at it:

#86 User is offline Yalecsa 

Posted 27 October 2018 - 09:37 AM

Just a cute little oddity for if you somehow manage to get a character to do their win pose when miniaturised in Metallic Madness Zone.

This post has been edited by Overlord: 28 October 2018 - 12:22 PM
Reason for edit: Remove the s in https

#87 User is offline Mobiethian 

Posted 27 October 2018 - 01:18 PM

• Wiki edits:29

View PostOverlord, on 21 October 2018 - 04:58 PM, said:

Reminder this is about bugs and oddities, not "whine about what you didn't like in Mania".

I wouldn't really say that we're "whining" because a lot of the issues being discussed here are actually odd and if not, it's simply "other stuff". There are several buggy things that I'd like to point out.. but I don't need to since others are already addressing them all.

In all honesty, I'm a "ring keeper" which means I like to collect a massive amount of rings though the stages and that's how I roll. The oddest thing about Mania is that it's super easy to lose rings, particularly from the bosses being so difficult. The PGZ Act 2 boss is rough and hard to keep up with, just one example. I could play through most of Sonic 1, 2, CD and 3&K and not lose all of my rings even during bosses. That's true satisfaction! Collecting rings in the stages now became less important in Mania for me at least because I know they're going to be lost at some point during a boss.

• 6 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users