Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Shogakukan Manga Index - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Sonic Shogakukan Manga Index

#31 User is offline Blue Spikeball 

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:33 PM

Okay, done :v:

#32 User is offline Pengi 

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:24 PM

Thanks for scanning those SG89! Great stuff!

I don't think anyone expected the final chapter to go in that direction!

The Spring Break 1993 issue is interesting in how it incorporates Sonic 2 as the near-future. I wonder if the time travel plot was supposed to be a tie-in with Sonic 2's original story?

Koichi Tanaka, the CoroCoro artist, did something interesting with Eggman's design. He'd usually draw Eggman with rounded mustache tips, giving it a sort of "fluffy" look to it. In this story, the present day Eggman still has that look, but the future Eggman has a spiky mustache, just like in the games.

The fluffy mustache Eggman was still being used in the August 1993 issue, but by the April 1994 issue he had the spiky mustache. So his design "caught up" to his future self!

#33 User is offline upg 

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:50 PM

I'm willing to translate if you still need someone to do it
This post has been edited by upg: 12 January 2019 - 09:52 PM

#34 User is offline SonicGenesis89 

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:16 AM

• Cool! Sweet! And Catchy!

View Postupg, on 12 January 2019 - 09:50 PM, said:

That would be really great! Thank you so much! :) I have been wanting to make English translations of each chapter for a while now but my Japanese is very limited. It would really mean a lot as well as be a huge help! I want everyone to have access to both the Japanese raw scans as well as English translated ones so that we can all enjoy the stories to the fullest!

View PostPengi, on 11 January 2019 - 07:24 PM, said:

Thanks for scanning those SG89! Great stuff!

I don't think anyone expected the final chapter to go in that direction!

The Spring Break 1993 issue is interesting in how it incorporates Sonic 2 as the near-future. I wonder if the time travel plot was supposed to be a tie-in with Sonic 2's original story?

Koichi Tanaka, the CoroCoro artist, did something interesting with Eggman's design. He'd usually draw Eggman with rounded mustache tips, giving it a sort of "fluffy" look to it. In this story, the present day Eggman still has that look, but the future Eggman has a spiky mustache, just like in the games.

The fluffy mustache Eggman was still being used in the August 1993 issue, but by the April 1994 issue he had the spiky mustache. So his design "caught up" to his future self!

That's really interesting about Dr. Eggman's mustache! I hadn't noticed that there was a design difference before. I wonder if the missing chapters explain his subtle design change or not. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that Dr. Eggman was disguised as a police officer in the earlier chapters and then later on everyone discovers his true identity. Since everyone knows who he is he probably didn't see the need in trying to alter his appearance anymore.

I was wondering that too with the whole time traveling thing. I find it kind of funny how even though the original story idea for Sonic 2 was dropped relatively early on the concepts still seemed to make their way into other media such as this chapter, the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Book where it has prehistoric times and medieval times, and even the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon during the Chaos Emerald Saga.

View PostICEknight, on 11 January 2019 - 02:12 PM, said:

Awesome! Thanks a lot for sharing these!

View PostSonicGenesis89, on 11 January 2019 - 02:02 AM, said:

The final chapter to the CoroCoro Comic series is really interesting and also very dramatic! I was actually a bit surprised by how dramatic it was!
Just saw it and WHAT THE F-OH MY GOD.

You're very welcome! :) Lol! Yeah, this chapter was very interesting.

View PostBlue Spikeball, on 11 January 2019 - 03:13 PM, said:

You're right, this chapter has everything. Little Planet! Giant Metal Sonic mech! Evil mind-controlled Amy!
Spoiler

That mech piloted by Eggman and Amy reminds me of Eggman and Serah piloting Black Eggman in the OVA, I wonder if that idea was inspired by this manga storyline?

Anyways, thank you for your efforts, SonicGenesis89!

I just love how this final chapter as well as the previous chapter before it feel like a Sonic 2 and Sonic CD crossover. In the previous chapter you can see Dr. Eggman's base and it looks very similar to the Death Egg and then you have Amy being kidnapped, a giant sized Metal Sonic, Little Planet, and Sonic and Tails.

What's really interesting too is how there is absolutely no mentioning of Nicky at all in the last two chapters. I think Sonic and Nicky become self aware that they are the same person around the 1993 August issue and sometime after that Nicky becomes Sonic permanently and Dr. Eggman kidnaps Amy. I really want to find those other missing chapters so we can fill in the blanks and see what happens! It looks like the story starts to really get interesting around that point onward.

When I first started looking through this final chapter I was really shocked at the sudden shift in tone. All of the previous chapters prior to this one had all been pretty much lighthearted and fun and this one was so dramatic and intense in comparison that it really took me by surprise!

Spoiler

I wouldn't be surprised if the scene between Sarah and Dr. Eggman was inspired in part from this! The time traveling storyline in the Spring Break issue kind of reminds me of Sonic Generations a little bit with the two Dr. Eggman's being together as well.

#35 User is offline Pengi 

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:30 AM

View Postupg, on 12 January 2019 - 09:50 PM, said:

That would be great! The "World of Sonic" section of the December 1992 issue of Shogaku Yonensei looks like it has a lot of interesting series lore in it.

#36 User is offline AmbientPixels 

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:43 PM

• I am emotionally wrecked
  • Project:A Sonic 1992 Manga remake...of sorts.
Wow, all of these chapters and pages are super cool, and I want to thank everyone who has contributed so far! It's so weird, since I've never have seen any of these issues for the past 6 years until now! I'm grateful for this because of this gives me good references for a story I'm working on.

And while this is not another issue or an issue page, I found this pretty cool since we usually don't see any renders or illustrations of Nicky/Nikki like this. This picture was taken from Emi Jones✨(@TheEmuEmi) post on Twitter. But this issue was found by Casshern/Linkabel (@AbelMunizJr)

Posted Image

You can find the photo here:
https://twitter.com/...744187747401728
This post has been edited by AmbientPixels: 10 February 2019 - 08:31 PM

#37 User is offline Pengi 

Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:27 PM

That photo was taken by Casshern. Here's the original tweet that image was taken from: https://twitter.com/...325329689501696

#38 User is offline Casshern 

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:06 PM

Yeah, I'll be scanning that page so we have it in better quality.

#39 User is offline AmbientPixels 

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:29 PM

• I am emotionally wrecked
  • Project:A Sonic 1992 Manga remake...of sorts.

View PostCasshern, on 10 February 2019 - 08:06 PM, said:

Yeah, I'll be scanning that page so we have it in better quality.

Wow, this is fantastic! I wish I knew about you posting it first, whoops. I'll change that.

Anyway, I can't wait! These pages look great!

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users