Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Can you help me identify this vintage SONIC / TAILS / KNUCKLES art - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Can you help me identify this vintage SONIC / TAILS / KNUCKLES art

#1 User is offline SonicArtCollector 

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:24 PM

Hi All!

I purchased a lot of vintage (mid 90s) Sonic the hedgehog line art - It originated from SEGA, and I assumed it was used for a style guide - But I just don't know, and cant find reference for it - Has anyone here seen this art published anywhere? Coloring book, ad slick - anything? I have about 30 images, all this same style. I contacted the illustrator whose info was on the back of one, and he remembers getting the job FOR sega, but has no idea what the pieces were commissioned for.

It is also entirely possible that this is unseen art - and if thats the case I will happily scan them for the fans.

Thank you!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
This post has been edited by SonicArtCollector: 11 December 2015 - 04:09 PM

#2 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:34 PM

• 'tis the season
  • Project:it's always the real thing
  • Wiki edits:20,569
I may have seen one or two - who is the illustrator?

And this is the token "scans please" sentence. Scans, preservation, good things, etc.

#3 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 11 December 2015 - 01:46 PM

• 'tis the season
Yes - those Knuckles ones can be seen in this thing, circa 1995:

Posted Image

There's actually a full set of scans of this "book" on the server - there's just a bug on the Sonic Retro wiki preventing me from uploading it (I'd forgotten about that).

That Sally Acorn one looks familiar too - I'd hazard a guess they were all made for these sorts of semi-educational mid-90s Sonic merchandise.

#4 User is offline SonicArtCollector 

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:05 PM

Here is another one - Different artist (unknown) but I don't know what it is - I mean, Im familiar with the image, but could this be the ORIGINAL art for that? This one is a bit of a mystery

Posted Image

#5 User is offline 360 

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:28 PM

• Daft Punk Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
Woah this seems like pretty important artwork. Particularly the most recent image you posted. We should definitely get this scanned and preserved. Awesome work.

#6 User is offline SonicArtCollector 

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:39 PM

SATAM Sonic fans will like these!!

The original character sheets for the animated series. Not the color copies like they sell on ebay, but the original hand painted ones (I took a pic of the back of one so you can see the paint!)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 User is offline SonicArtCollector 

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:54 PM

Posted Image

#8 User is offline GagaMan 

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:09 PM

I recall a few of those Sally and Knuckles images being on a set of Pogs, at the very least (Knux sitting on a rock, gliding and Sally with a light bulb).
Pretty stunning finds :)

#9 User is offline SonicArtCollector 

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:25 PM

View PostGagaMan, on 11 December 2015 - 03:09 PM, said:

I recall a few of those Sally and Knuckles images being on a set of Pogs, at the very least (Knux sitting on a rock, gliding and Sally with a light bulb).
Pretty stunning finds :)/>

Good call! I googled the pogs and a lot of these were used there!

#10 User is offline SonicArtCollector 

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:14 PM

I see a few of the Knuckles images in the 1995 Play a sound book

http://forums.sonicr...showtopic=33429

#11 User is offline ashthedragon 

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:45 PM

• Dragon Team
  • Project:Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
Those should definitely get scanned, all of them.

#12 User is offline SonicArtCollector 

Posted 12 December 2015 - 04:51 PM

THis is "cool" but has literally zero value - But it was worth keeping as a piece of history -

THis is a sample of the paper slip used in the original Sonic game. This would have been sent to SEGA for final approval. Its literally exactly the same as the one used in the retail game, its just never been folded. Cool story, but too easy to fake to really have financial value (I have sonic 2 as well)

Posted Image

And this is an oddity - a pen and ink mock up for Sonic POWER THUMBS, which were these wierd 90s rubber thumb covers to protect your thumbs from injury I guess? I don't know - Stupid product but cool art!

Posted Image

AS FOR SCANNING - I am happy to scan all of this stuff for any and all online sonic /sega / retro game archives - If a mod for this site would get ahold of me, I can figure out the best place / way to archive (Granted, it will be a while before I can scan this, but I can try to do it piece at a time)

#13 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 12 December 2015 - 05:11 PM

• 'tis the season
Sonic Retro wiki, which at the time of writing is down for maintenance but it'll be back within hours I'm sure.

#14 User is offline 360 

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:00 PM

• Daft Punk Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
Yeah this is essentially a goldmine and all of it should be scanned and preserved. It'll be a great addition to Retro. Thanks for contributing all this. You're awesome.

#15 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 12 December 2015 - 10:02 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostSonicArtCollector, on 11 December 2015 - 02:05 PM, said:

Here is another one - Different artist (unknown) but I don't know what it is - I mean, Im familiar with the image, but could this be the ORIGINAL art for that?

Posted Image
That definately looks like an official SEGA of Japan thing.

Things to notice:
-Solid shadows
-Looks more detailed and polished than the Title Screen drawings in the style guide
-It's not using the more well known "frowning" frame for some reason
-The circle size is the same as in the final version (in the prototype, the inner circle can be seen behind the ribbon)
-The translucent SONIC letters seem to have been imposed on top of an empty logo (are they on a separate cel?)
-The second E in "Hedgehog" has a larger lower gap than the first E... just like in the actual game! =O

I'm thinking this may be the actual artwork that was scanned and then imported into the Digitizers for reference when making the Title Screen, something that may have been easier to do with plain black and white images (hence the solid shadows).
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 12 December 2015 - 11:47 PM

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users