Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Project AXSX (2013 and Beyond) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 41 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 39
  • 40
  • 41
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Are you interested in playing project AXSX?

1: Are you interested in playing project AXSX?

  1. You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Project AXSX (2013 and Beyond) New Poll, come vote ! !

#601 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:00 PM

  • Technical Artist
  • Posts: 1703
  • Joined: 12-December 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
Ok sooo, Apparently I had forgotten about some Def files that I had not ported that came with JollyRoger's files. There are 5 new never before seen Jade Gully layouts. When I rebuild them, I'll be glad to post new screens.
Apparently there are underwater sections to the levels, including water slides, tunnels and breakable walls that reveal secret item boxes.

#602 User is offline Lord Kanti 

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:38 PM

  • Posts: 288
  • Joined: 04-March 08
  • Gender:Male

View PostAndrew75, on 06 February 2017 - 08:00 PM, said:

Ok sooo, Apparently I had forgotten about some Def files that I had not ported that came with JollyRoger's files. There are 5 new never before seen Jade Gully layouts. When I rebuild them, I'll be glad to post new screens.
Apparently there are underwater sections to the levels, including water slides, tunnels and breakable walls that reveal secret item boxes.


That's hella cool!

Speaking of having the levels completed (in an earlier post), are there going to be bosses?

#603 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:29 PM

  • Technical Artist
  • Posts: 1703
  • Joined: 12-December 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects

View PostLord Kanti, on 07 February 2017 - 03:38 PM, said:

View PostAndrew75, on 06 February 2017 - 08:00 PM, said:

Ok sooo, Apparently I had forgotten about some Def files that I had not ported that came with JollyRoger's files. There are 5 new never before seen Jade Gully layouts. When I rebuild them, I'll be glad to post new screens.
Apparently there are underwater sections to the levels, including water slides, tunnels and breakable walls that reveal secret item boxes.


That's hella cool!

Speaking of having the levels completed (in an earlier post), are there going to be bosses?

Yes at some point! We have the Nack and Metal Sonic bosses, the Nack boss was extracted from the 718 demo by JollyRoger with a little help from SANiK's notes, since SANiK had extracted it years earlier but I don't think he shared it. The Metal Sonic was taken from the Saturn SDK. (The 718 demo is the Saturn tech demo with the hills. That demo was actually an evolved version of the boss engine that Christina Coffin was working on known as Project Condor)
AXSX actually started out as a remake of the Metal Sonic boss stage, but that was put on the back burner for the main stages with fisheye. Someday I plan to revisit the boss stages.


P.S. There are a few more textures within the 718 demo that have never been extracted in their entirety. We know they are there because we found the greyscale layout map where color tiles would be mapped to.
I'm always on the lookout for someone with the skills to attempt a full recovery of the textures, I believe they are belonging to Nack's boss stage or Metal Sonic's stage. Jolly Had started working on doing that but he couldn't dedicate the time into finishing it.
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 07 February 2017 - 05:37 PM

#604 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:56 PM

  • Technical Artist
  • Posts: 1703
  • Joined: 12-December 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
So yeah guys I just restored 5 Lost Jade Gully levels into Unreal 4! These were never seen before! I only just looked at what was in them 2 days ago for the very first time. They were buried in the Point of view files. But these are STI engine level files, and they run in V53 of the Level editor.
Please excuse the background( err Unreal 4 default background), and incorrect lighting. (still need to do lighting universally for all levels. That's on the to do list.)
This is the first underwater level I've seen besides the Blue Ocean level which is so early and does not really look like anything underwater.
( Please note) that the front face textures on the item monitors are my creations, since I do not have the original texture files for them.
The def files ask for the monitor icons specifically, that's how I know they are monitors. XD

(Also something interesting to point out, there was a file path that pointed to someone named Rick, ( 1_T\1_T\RICK\w2\Watr01f1) that's the first time I seen a name inside a def file. XD)

Here we see the Lightbug badnik. I personally never seen him placed in any levels, and always assumed that the many unused badniks never made it into actual levels. I was sooo wrong!
Posted Image

Just a screenshot, check out the item monitor to the front and left. Also the hieroglyphics to the right.
Posted Image


Another Unused Badnik......The Piranha!
Posted Image

View of some collectables. And a wire mesh in front of an underground tunnel.
Posted Image

Secret 1 up hidden behind a wooden gate
Posted Image


Besides Jade gully there are a few other levels that I can restore. But they will have to wait for a later time
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 08 February 2017 - 09:13 PM

#605 User is offline McAleeCh 

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:18 PM

  • Posts: 661
  • Joined: 12-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Wiki edits:27
Whoa, very interesting - looks very different from any other incarnation of Jade Gully that I've previously seen! Interesting to see that some badniks previously thought to be unused turn up in these levels, too.

Amazing how even now previously unseen X-treme content is being brought to light! Your project looks to be a real treasure trove of X-treme content both seen and unseen, which should be fascinating to see from a reseatch perspective. It's really great the amount of effort you're putting into recreating and preserving this content so that it can be seen and enjoyed by a much wider audience. And coupled with your own levels made with the engine/physics system you've set up in mind, it really seems like this project should have something for everyone when it's eventually released! = )
This post has been edited by McAleeCh: 12 February 2017 - 05:18 PM

#606 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:13 PM

  • Technical Artist
  • Posts: 1703
  • Joined: 12-December 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects

View PostMcAleeCh, on 12 February 2017 - 05:18 PM, said:

Whoa, very interesting - looks very different from any other incarnation of Jade Gully that I've previously seen! Interesting to see that some badniks previously thought to be unused turn up in these levels, too.

Amazing how even now previously unseen X-treme content is being brought to light! Your project looks to be a real treasure trove of X-treme content both seen and unseen, which should be fascinating to see from a reseatch perspective. It's really great the amount of effort you're putting into recreating and preserving this content so that it can be seen and enjoyed by a much wider audience. And coupled with your own levels made with the engine/physics system you've set up in mind, it really seems like this project should have something for everyone when it's eventually released! = )



Thanks man ! I really hope we can see more lost assets from X-treme. ( So I can rebuild the hell out of them and get them accessible to a wider audience. )

Here is something more interesting !
also I'm copy pasting this from assembler where I posted it before and too lazy/ tired to edit it for retro here, so kind of a recap!

Buried deep in the recesses of the V037 Release we did. There were some levels that did not belong to the POV or STI's V037/040 builds, but rather they belonged to a later build of the engine. Somewhere from around Version 042 or up. STI's team stopped labeling the .def files after V042 for some reason even though there were builds of the engine past V053. or maybe the def file format was V042? while engine had different versions ? I'm not sure what was going on with that.

Here are the 5 Jade Gully Act 2 level subsections that I had restored recently that I had meant to restore much sooner.
At first I was just restoring them and than showed a friend (SonicGenesis89) some screens of the level in Unreal 4. She replied. "That looks a lot like Yasuhara's Jade Gully concept art with the water wheel" and so we looked at the concept art and sure enough they matched pretty damned close! Anyways these are the first levels I've seen that have a corresponding concept art set.

Jade Gully Act 2-1

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Jade Gully Act 2-2
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Jade Gully Act 2-3
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Jade Gully Act 2-4
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Breakable wall, Hidden room!
Posted Image
Jade Gully Act 2-5
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 12 February 2017 - 07:37 PM

#607 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:16 PM

  • Posts: 9631
  • Joined: 21-April 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition; Sonic Genesis Adventure (Let's see how long this lasts :V)
  • Wiki edits:10
Wow, this is the first thing I've ever seen come from Sonic Xtreme that looks like an actual level. That's pretty cool. Do you plan on implementing these in AXSX?

#608 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:32 PM

  • Technical Artist
  • Posts: 1703
  • Joined: 12-December 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects

View PostDark Sonic, on 12 February 2017 - 07:16 PM, said:

Wow, this is the first thing I've ever seen come from Sonic Xtreme that looks like an actual level. That's pretty cool. Do you plan on implementing these in AXSX?


Yes they are already in AXSX, see fisheye screens lol XDXDXD

Did any of you see the word Rog was crossed out and replaced with LOG? LOL
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 12 February 2017 - 07:47 PM

#609 User is offline Kono Mike da! 

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:26 AM

  • Noodle Limbs
  • Posts: 76
  • Joined: 15-July 16
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Italy
  • Project:Sonic Millenium: God help us all.

View PostAndrew75, on 12 February 2017 - 07:32 PM, said:

View PostDark Sonic, on 12 February 2017 - 07:16 PM, said:

Wow, this is the first thing I've ever seen come from Sonic Xtreme that looks like an actual level. That's pretty cool. Do you plan on implementing these in AXSX?


Yes they are already in AXSX, see fisheye screens lol XDXDXD

Did any of you see the word Rog was crossed out and replaced with LOG? LOL


More like, ROR. AM I RIGHT
(Amazing work, bruh. :thumbsup: )

  • 41 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • 39
  • 40
  • 41
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users