Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: General Questions and Information Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 43 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

General Questions and Information Thread was More requests/B-Club, PSIV, and some game ID for now :/

#631 User is offline Saad 

Posted 08 September 2018 - 02:06 PM

• Project:Finding anything Sonic related in Arabic
Going the official ESRA website, I found three "Sonic" Games that caught my attention, and after doing some research, I found this

Posted Image

I found some things similair to it, and the ESRA websites points to the existence of many more, Is this imnportant to wiki, or was I just wasting my time.
This post has been edited by Saad: 08 September 2018 - 02:07 PM

#632 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 08 September 2018 - 06:31 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2
Absolutely anything Sega related is important.

#633 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 09 September 2018 - 01:53 PM

• maybe she's born with it
  • Project:maybe it's maybelline
  • Wiki edits:20,569
My current pet project:

Sega Retro:Todo/Publications/Third-party

We've been documenting books which cover Sega first-party titles for a while - I've now begun the painstaking job of trying to work out the extent of coverage for third-parties. Turns out they cut down a lot of trees to help the Japanese play Saturn games.

I've done a few rounds and made some notes. I'm keen to see others fill in the gaps, because game books are surprisingly hard to find in a lot of cases. It's a messy image dump right now, but it'll morph into something more meaningful one day.

I've yet to work out how many of these will get their own pages. Anything marked CDN shouldn't really live on Sega Retro because they cover non-Sega platforms, but I'm warming to the idea of making pages on Retro CDN to document this reference material in some way. Needs thought - feel free to think.

By the way, every single thing on this page needs scanning in full. It's difficult to comprehend the number of man hours needed to make this a reality.
This post has been edited by Black Squirrel: 09 September 2018 - 01:54 PM

#634 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:27 PM

• Pudding Deity
I have a Panic Chan book that I don't see up there. I think it's a strategy guide. I'll try to take a picture later.

As for Retro CDN stuff, I suppose we could make pages on it, but I'd rather see just a copy/paste on both wikis, though that would lead to editing hell.

#635 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:33 PM

I don't want to be duplicating work - things get out of sync (see: most templates), but it's awkward in that there's no elegant solution for "shared" content - it's not something we've been encountering much until relatively recently.

But as I said... wherever it was I said it, there are valid reasons for documenting the sources we use for references. CVG and Mean Machines being published under the same roof means they're probably using the same source for any information, so we'd need a non-EMAP reference to back up something as a fact. It's not immediately obvious to Sega Retro users that this is the case.

#636 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:00 PM

Here's where I draw the line:

Posted Image

Did you know that Sega sold baby toys during the 1980s?

I like Miffy as much as the next man but I have sacrificed far too many brain cells in the name of Sega Retro already - this is an undertaking for someone else.

#637 User is offline Asagoth 

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:39 PM

• Behold ... the mighty... the flawless... salted cod eater...

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 13 September 2018 - 04:00 PM, said:

Here's where I draw the line:

Posted Image

Did you know that Sega sold baby toys during the 1980s?

I like Miffy as much as the next man but I have sacrificed far too many brain cells in the name of Sega Retro already - this is an undertaking for someone else.

Yep... they sold... in fact they sold a large number of Miffy toys... you've probably seen the name Illustrations Dick Bruna ( the creator of Miffy)... Sega certainly obtained the license from Amsterdam-based Mercis B.V., which protects Dick Bruna's copyrights... there's some more here...

Edit: and i think the baby gym in that photo you shared... is exactly the same mentioned here (the first one in that list, there's no photos, just product specifications)... it looks like they sold these four baby gyms on that list (and probably more) and then they sold these to be used on those baby gyms...

Edit two: and then we are faced with this :

Posted Image

Posted Image

a Miffy (''Nijntje'' is Miffy's original name in Dutch) toy with origin in Thailand, manufactured at Sega request (or by them in some factory they had in Thailand), but aimed to the Dutch market... confusing enough?
This post has been edited by Asagoth: 14 September 2018 - 09:16 AM

#638 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:20 PM

Can't stress how badly documented the Japanese video game scene is. Even in Japanese, it would seem.

Posted Image

"Backup Katsuyou Technique" (バックアップ活用テクニック)

I think this is a set of books that focuses on technical... computer-y... things, which started being published around 1985.

Given that I just ran into these, I don't really understand (yet). But here's something to note from this cover alone - this issue is documenting unlicensed tat from Asia. In 1994.

The internet discovered Somari around the turn of the millennium, but turns out the Japanese had it sorted almost as soon as the game was released. If the dates are correct, that's impressive.

Posted Image

I actually don't know how best to document this - full scans belong on Retro CDN, but currently the Western world doesn't even know these things exist.

#639 User is offline muteKi 

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:07 PM

• Fuck it
  • Wiki edits:91
From the title it sounds like it's basically a printed version of what something like GBATemp is today

#640 User is offline Hivebrain 

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:18 PM

• Project:HivePal 2.0
  • Wiki edits:6,176

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 15 September 2018 - 12:20 PM, said:

The internet discovered Somari around the turn of the millennium, but turns out the Japanese had it sorted almost as soon as the game was released. If the dates are correct, that's impressive.

That just reminded me, I saw Somari mentioned in a UK magazine in the early-to-mid-90s. I haven't the faintest idea which one though.

#641 User is offline Scarred Sun 

Posted 17 September 2018 - 03:31 PM

• In Defense of Lost Causes
  • Project:Staying woke
  • Wiki edits:36,091

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 15 September 2018 - 12:20 PM, said:

Can't stress how badly documented the Japanese video game scene is. Even in Japanese, it would seem.

Posted Image

"Backup Katsuyou Technique" (バックアップ活用テクニック)

I think this is a set of books that focuses on technical... computer-y... things, which started being published around 1985.

Given that I just ran into these, I don't really understand (yet). But here's something to note from this cover alone - this issue is documenting unlicensed tat from Asia. In 1994.

Posted Image

I actually don't know how best to document this - full scans belong on Retro CDN, but currently the Western world doesn't even know these things exist.

I'm actually familiar with these and have considered buying them as they're relatively cheap. The real issue comes with the fact that they skew MSX/Famicom in terms of content. If I could co-buy with someone else I'd do it.

#642 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:01 PM

• Pudding Deity

View PostScarred Sun, on 17 September 2018 - 03:31 PM, said:

If I could co-buy with someone else I'd do it.

How much?
This post has been edited by JaxTH: 17 September 2018 - 07:02 PM

#643 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted Yesterday, 04:21 PM

So here's another book:

Posted Image

This is a tree's worth of content for karaoke, because spoilers: it's a big thing in Japan.

Two things:

a) it's got Super Prologue 21 branding, which is a Sega karaoke machine.
b) This is from March 2007, though I'm fairly sure the Super Prologue 21 is a 1990s invention. There were 32 volumes by March 2003 so lord knows how many were made in the end.

You've all bought scanners, right?

#644 User is offline Asagoth 

Posted Yesterday, 04:37 PM

• Behold ... the mighty... the flawless... salted cod eater...
So these contained what exactly? Song lyrics ? ... so many pages...

#645 User is offline nineko 

Posted Yesterday, 05:04 PM

• I am the Holy Cat
  • Project:I... don't even know anymore :U
  • Wiki edits:5,251
At the risk of being captain obvious, the katakana in the upper right corner says "sega kara". That same katakana appears on the cover of the linked issue 32.
This post has been edited by nineko: Yesterday, 05:07 PM

• 43 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users