Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Why doesn't Amy have the ability to curl? - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Why doesn't Amy have the ability to curl?

#31 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:54 AM

  • DON'T TRUST THIS MAN
  • Posts: 465
  • Joined: 26-June 11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Isle of Wight, UK

View PostBoxer Hockey, on 01 November 2017 - 09:33 PM, said:

I just briefly thought of a sprite for Amy where she cartwheels instead of spinning and it made me spit up my tea.

I'm surprised out of all the Sonic characters and sprites we've had, a fun cartwheel hasn't been a thing yet!
Vector's spin in Chaotix is kind of wheel-like but that's the closest we've got. Damn, I never knew this needed to be a thing..

big smile said:

? In S3k & Mania, Sonic is always my least favourite of the trio. Knuckles and Tails can do everything that Sonic can, plus they have their added abilities which are much better for exploring. The only thing Sonic offers is the ability to use shields and a few Super Sonic bonus levels, none of which makes him as interesting as Knuckles/Tails


Objection! Whilst I agree regarding S3K, the Drop Dash gave Sonic far more value in Mania. Certain sections like the SSZ Metal Sonic boss as Knux/Tails made me go "man, I wish I could just Drop Dash right now..."
Once it gets burned into your muscle memory you're a convert for life.

#32 User is offline Stimil Rc. 

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:54 PM

  • Posts: 168
  • Joined: 06-August 16
  • Gender:Male

View Postbig smile, on 02 November 2017 - 11:09 AM, said:

Controversial opinion time: I always thought that Tails and Knuckles shouldn't be able to do a spindash. The reason? In S3k & Mania, Sonic is always my least favourite of the trio. Knuckles and Tails can do everything that Sonic can, plus they have their added abilities which are much better for exploring. The only thing Sonic offers is the ability to use shields and a few Super Sonic bonus levels, none of which makes him as interesting as Knuckles/Tails. Making the spindash exclusive to Sonic would make him more unique. Knuckles and Tails would have to instead work to build up speed (like in Sonic in Sonic 1).

If your problem with Tails and Knuckles having the spin dash is that it makes Sonic less unique, then why don't you just not spin dash as Tails and Knuckles? It not unintuitive to not do. Just because you can doesn't mean you have to.

I find Sonic more fun to play as than Tails or Knuckles. Those two can explore more easily, but I don't really find flying or gliding to be very fun to use compared to the shield powers and Insta-Shield/Drop Dash unless a stage is designed with them in mind like Knuckles' Mirage Saloon Act 1. When it comes to simply accessing areas more easily than Sonic, flying/gliding usually just feels slow and uninteresting compared to other methods of reaching them. Plus, Knuckles can't immediately move after landing from a glide.

#33 User is offline roachdaripper 

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:12 PM

  • Source Engine Junkie
  • Posts: 35
  • Joined: 25-December 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Wales
  • Project:Trying not to rage when porting SADX/SA2 models on PC.

View PostDrex, on 02 November 2017 - 10:58 AM, said:

You admit that hammer is a clone move (not unique) with worse attributes that somehow gives her aa advantage others don't have? Yeah, in combination with her high jump she can destroy certain bosses in the Sonic Advance series quicker than others, but that's hardly an advantage to it's usefulness during the rest of the game.


I never disputed that it was a clone move. However worse attributes no. It's functionally identical, just has stricter timing.



#34 User is offline Sean Evans 

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:24 PM

  • Professional Dork
  • Posts: 243
  • Joined: 31-May 15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Earth
  • Project:Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia

View Postroachdaripper, on 02 November 2017 - 01:12 PM, said:

I never disputed that it was a clone move. However worse attributes no. It's functionally identical, just has stricter timing.

Can you bypass projectiles and hazards with it?

#35 User is offline big smile 

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:29 PM

  • Posts: 464
  • Joined: 01-July 05
  • Gender:Male

View PostStimil Rc., on 02 November 2017 - 12:54 PM, said:

If your problem with Tails and Knuckles having the spin dash is that it makes Sonic less unique, then why don't you just not spin dash as Tails and Knuckles? It not unintuitive to not do. Just because you can doesn't mean you have to.


I am talking in terms of both gameplay and character design. Spinning was one of the key reasons they made Sonic a hedgehog so when you start giving a key move such as the spin dash to everyone it sort of spoils the uniqueness.

That's one of the things I appreciated about Chaotix. All the characters have the same basic moves, but the designers made sure they all looked different. This was a lesson lost on the designers of Sonic Heroes (where even Charmy can spin despite being an airborne character).

#36 User is offline Sean Evans 

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:33 PM

  • Professional Dork
  • Posts: 243
  • Joined: 31-May 15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Earth
  • Project:Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia

View Postbig smile, on 02 November 2017 - 01:29 PM, said:

I am talking in terms of both gameplay and character design. Spinning was one of the key reasons they made Sonic a hedgehog so when you start giving a key move such as the spin dash to everyone it sort of spoils the uniqueness.

That's one of the things I appreciated about Chaotix. All the characters have the same basic moves, but the designers made sure they all looked different. This was a lesson lost on the designers of Sonic Heroes (where even Charmy can spin despite being an airborne character).

Echidna's can curl into balls too. In fact that's the reason Knuckles is an Echidna. I get where you're coming from though. That always bugged me too. I could live with all the characters rolling, since it's such a core mechanic, but at the very least I figured only Sonic should be allowed to Spin Dash.

#37 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:19 PM

  • Arriving four years late.
  • Posts: 4620
  • Joined: 23-June 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lincs, UK
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL

View PostSean Evans, on 02 November 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

Can you bypass projectiles and hazards with it?


I don't know if you can or not, but I'll make the case that it should deflect projectiles.

#38 User is offline roachdaripper 

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:27 PM

  • Source Engine Junkie
  • Posts: 35
  • Joined: 25-December 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Wales
  • Project:Trying not to rage when porting SADX/SA2 models on PC.

View PostDigitalDuck, on 02 November 2017 - 02:19 PM, said:

I don't know if you can or not, but I'll make the case that it should deflect projectiles.


Agreed. I'd need to experiment to see if you can actually deflect projectiles.
Logically it'd make more sense for Sonic to be unable to do so, since Amy at least should be able to use her hammer to parry or deflect projectiles.

#39 User is offline roachdaripper 

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:23 AM

  • Source Engine Junkie
  • Posts: 35
  • Joined: 25-December 13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Wales
  • Project:Trying not to rage when porting SADX/SA2 models on PC.
So an update, I played through the entirety of Sonic Advance 1 as Amy, and she cannot deflect projectiles.
However I discovered two new moves which I haven't seen anybody else use in multiple play-through videos on YouTube. Leading me to believe that hardly anybody knows about them, since they're dead useful.

The first is, when Amy is doing her quick-step (replacement for the spin-dash) if you press B while she's in mid-air, she'll trip and fall flat on her face, though while in this state she's invulnerable.
The second is, when Amy is in mid-air, instead of simply pressing B to swing the hammer once, if you hold Down then press B she'll perform a twirling move which loops, meaning you can bounce off of enemies and bosses.
It also seems to do double damage to bosses, I couldn't reliably test this since I was playing on hardware, not an emulator, so no save-states, but if someone could confirm that, that'd be great.

#40 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 22 November 2017 - 11:11 AM

  • Arriving four years late.
  • Posts: 4620
  • Joined: 23-June 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lincs, UK
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL

View Postroachdaripper, on 22 November 2017 - 08:23 AM, said:

The first is, when Amy is doing her quick-step (replacement for the spin-dash) if you press B while she's in mid-air, she'll trip and fall flat on her face, though while in this state she's invulnerable.

View PostDigitalDuck, on 01 November 2017 - 01:15 PM, said:

I like her better without the ability to curl. It makes her more unique while still keeping her relatively Sonic-like. I never had a problem going up inclines in Advance - you still have the stepdash move which puts you at a decent running speed nearly instantly, which is more than Sonic had in Sonic 1, and it can double as an attacking move with the headbutt.


View Postroachdaripper, on 22 November 2017 - 08:23 AM, said:

The second is, when Amy is in mid-air, instead of simply pressing B to swing the hammer once, if you hold Down then press B she'll perform a twirling move which loops, meaning you can bounce off of enemies and bosses.
It also seems to do double damage to bosses, I couldn't reliably test this since I was playing on hardware, not an emulator, so no save-states, but if someone could confirm that, that'd be great.

View PostDigitalDuck, on 02 November 2017 - 08:16 AM, said:

Try actually swinging the hammer so you hit the enemy with it. Also, you have a down+B move which is infinitely better for situations like that, acting like the bounce shield on enemies.


You could also try reading the manual, where both of these are described...

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users