Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Why do you like Sonic? - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Jump to content

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
    Locked
    Locked Forum

Why do you like Sonic?

#31 User is offline Xenomon 

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:00 PM

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 28-August 17
  • Gender:Male
I like the speed, i like the backgrounds for those straights, the music is never bad (i was 10 when i played chronicles so i liked it) the game play never disappointed me, and I grew up in the perfect time with a GameCube and a copy of Sonic Mega Collection, and the two remakes(+Heroes) for it!
Even the games I really don't like, I still play (spinball,3d blast, 4 2, lost world U, and battle the gba game) because they all have their certain charm.

My favorite game being 06 however, needs an explanation: I got it when I was 7 years old but even back then I never encountered any glitches I recently did a 13-hour play through and still didn't encounter any glitches ( I still hate Shadows gameplay though) but Silver and Sonic I will always enjoy no matter what critics say. I do see the wrong and it though and won't blindly defend it.

Bought Mania and uh didn't quite enjoy it like everyone else it was dull and I beat it 3 times but i didn't have much fun. Sonic 3 & Knuckles (after I got past the goddamn Barrel) what's the most fun I've ever had playing a Sonic game at that point even surpassing Rush Adventure a game I replayed 15 times shut up I don't have a problem Hyper Sonic, hydrocity Zone, the funny level transitions, saying f*** you to the barrel of Doom on subsequent playthroughs, fighting egg Robo gamma(?), and facing off against Mecha Sonic as knuckles, perfect memories (2010) that I will always love. Mania was so uneventful for me that I went back and replayed Sonic 3 & Knuckles to make sure my memories were right. Mania is by the fans for the fans right? So why didn't i enjoy it to the fullest? I'll tell you why: innovation

That is the true reason why I love Sonic so much and playing Mania really cemented that it didn't do anything that I haven't seen before in The Game Gear games the mega Drive games yeah I played those and the Genesis games. Studiopolis? Sure it was a cool level but the bosses sucked.
Press garden? Ya got me there
Sonic 3 gave me an underground water park (FUN) Mania gave me boats and bubbles (boring and obnoxious). From Stardust Speedway Zone to Titanic monarch I found myself constantly repeating the phrase "as I truly remember it" with increasing sarcasm and bile even going so far as to telling myself "I unlocked the fun" when I got super Sonic. I 100% it purely because I'm a Sonic fan not because I enjoyed the game.
It was kind of like Star Wars episode 7. References and callbacks do not a good game make

That's why I find myself enjoying s3k and the handhelds far more than Mania they did something new granted not all of them work (ADV3) but hey it's Innovation and that's why I love Sonic.

Heres looking to his Future with Sonic Forces

#32 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:42 PM

  • Chaos Emeralds, Alola form
  • Posts: 282
  • Joined: 01-June 17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bilbao, Spain
  • Project:Too many of them
Well, while I can't share your opinion about many modern games, I can't tell you Mania hasn't been what I was waiting for either. It's solid and faithful enough to make me feel I play a game that feels right and can replay, but it doesn't bring me the "classic" feeling I had back in the old days, and I've played fan games that get a lot closer to that sensation even if they weren't polished or technical marvels at all.

I see modern games as some kind of spin-off that can be enjoyed as they are, but most of them aren't for me, and what really pisses me off about them is they try to say that's the same with just some extra experiments to try innovating (I'm mostly referring to modern 2D/2.5D, either as its own title or as scattered sections of a 3D level, but also some other tricks like bad use of nostalgia). I haven't played Sonic '06 or Lost World yet, so I can't judge them.

#33 User is offline Xenomon 

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:18 PM

  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 28-August 17
  • Gender:Male

View PostHedgeHayes, on 01 October 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

Well, while I can't share your opinion about many modern games, I can't tell you Mania hasn't been what I was waiting for either. It's solid and faithful enough to make me feel I play a game that feels right and can replay, but it doesn't bring me the "classic" feeling I had back in the old days, and I've played fan games that get a lot closer to that sensation even if they weren't polished or technical marvels at all.

I see modern games as some kind of spin-off that can be enjoyed as they are, but most of them aren't for me, and what really pisses me off about them is they try to say that's the same with just some extra experiments to try innovating (I'm mostly referring to modern 2D/2.5D, either as its own title or as scattered sections of a 3D level, but also some other tricks like bad use of nostalgia). I haven't played Sonic '06 or Lost World yet, so I can't judge them.

Hayes you're 36 im 18 so the experience was undoubtedly better for you and that's good s***!
I think my experience was negated a bit because I had the options available to me and chose to act on them at such a late year. Media probably would have been better if I didn't own a 3DS and all the classics that came with it. But they just showed me the negatives.

I don't think mania is a horrible game just one I can't truly enjoy because I actually like the modern games and don't have heaps and heaps of problems with them.

Oh and speaking of modern games do me a favor: don't play lost world. It's a waste and honestly the worst modern game to me with absurd levels, do or die sections and a fuckloaf of padding.
Trust me (mostly modern fan): the game isn't worth a shot.

#34 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:40 PM

  • Chaos Emeralds, Alola form
  • Posts: 282
  • Joined: 01-June 17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bilbao, Spain
  • Project:Too many of them
Too late, I bought it on this year's steam sales (about 7.50€). I'll play it at some point in my life. :v:
Also tried the Sonic '06 PC demo on sage, if that level's really faithful to the original (dusty desert), I can get why people hate that game even when bugs don't happen.

#35 User is offline Assailant 

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:34 PM

  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 28-September 17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:U.S.A
Speed, Character Design, and Gameplay.

#36 User is offline Epsilonsama 

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:34 PM

  • THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE!
  • Posts: 627
  • Joined: 15-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Earth
  • Wiki edits:7
Because the games were fun and the character is fun.

#37 User is offline Chainspike 

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:36 PM

  • Stealing rings since 1994
  • Posts: 80
  • Joined: 22-February 17
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Death Egg Zone
  • Project:Sonic sprite animation?

View PostXenomon, on 01 October 2017 - 12:00 PM, said:

Bought Mania and uh didn't quite enjoy it like everyone else it was dull and I beat it 3 times but i didn't have much fun. Sonic 3 & Knuckles (after I got past the goddamn Barrel) what's the most fun I've ever had playing a Sonic game at that point even surpassing Rush Adventure a game I replayed 15 times shut up I don't have a problem Hyper Sonic, hydrocity Zone, the funny level transitions, saying f*** you to the barrel of Doom on subsequent playthroughs, fighting egg Robo gamma(?), and facing off against Mecha Sonic as knuckles, perfect memories (2010) that I will always love. Mania was so uneventful for me that I went back and replayed Sonic 3 & Knuckles to make sure my memories were right. Mania is by the fans for the fans right? So why didn't i enjoy it to the fullest? I'll tell you why: innovation

That is the true reason why I love Sonic so much and playing Mania really cemented that it didn't do anything that I haven't seen before in The Game Gear games the mega Drive games yeah I played those and the Genesis games. Studiopolis? Sure it was a cool level but the bosses sucked.
Press garden? Ya got me there
Sonic 3 gave me an underground water park (FUN) Mania gave me boats and bubbles (boring and obnoxious). From Stardust Speedway Zone to Titanic monarch I found myself constantly repeating the phrase "as I truly remember it" with increasing sarcasm and bile even going so far as to telling myself "I unlocked the fun" when I got super Sonic. I 100% it purely because I'm a Sonic fan not because I enjoyed the game.
It was kind of like Star Wars episode 7. References and callbacks do not a good game make

That's why I find myself enjoying s3k and the handhelds far more than Mania they did something new granted not all of them work (ADV3) but hey it's Innovation and that's why I love Sonic.


Not to try and derail the topic, but I completely agree with you. While I still haven't completely finished Mania, (I don't have the urge to do it) I don't think my opinion will change much at all. Instead of playing Mania, I was playing Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic Labyrinth.

#38 User is offline TheD 

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:54 AM

  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 10-October 17
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:PROJECT D
I mainly started becoming a fan of the sonic the hedgehog franchise when I was first introduced to sonic rpg.

#39 User is offline Fox Cordova 

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:01 AM

  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 05-September 17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio
I like the Sonic franchise mainly because of these things;

1) The potential the franchise has
2) The possible flexibility that comes with the characters
3) The decorated zones and other places
4) And, of course, the feeling of going super fast

1) The Sonic franchise, even in 2017, has the potential to be something more than what it currently is right now. I like the franchise for what it "could be" rather than what it's desperately trying to be now. There are many things about recent Sonic games that I just don't agree with on the game dev fundamental level, such as the nonsensical experiments, "Sonic Only" and no other playable characters, random gimmicks, etc. What the franchise could become is what excites me, such as figuring out what Sonic's mechanics should be and how his friends should be implemented as playable characters.

2) Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, etc. all have the possible flexibility to become great characters in their own right, separate from Sonic himself. Ever since Sonic 06 they have all been "nerfed" to the point where all they do is act as sideline cheerleaders. Though Shadow now has his DLC package in Forces, it's too little of an addition, Sonic Team. Tails has great flexibility because of his character background and how far you can expand him past what he now is; a boy genius. Knuckles can be "cool" again if you stay true to his character roots. Amy can be taken more seriously if she actually starts acting more serious in behavior, especially around Sonic. Shadow is... Shadow. There's not much more to do with him other than to reaffirm what he's about.

3) I love the variety of zones the franchise has. So many possibilities with where you can take a Sonic adventure.

4) Of course I love the feeling of go super fast through a level. I don't really get that feeling in Modern games, but in the Classic games and Mania I do. Emphasis has to be placed on what made Sonic important to begin with; his speed.

#40 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:02 PM

  • Chaos Emeralds, Alola form
  • Posts: 282
  • Joined: 01-June 17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bilbao, Spain
  • Project:Too many of them

View PostTheD, on 11 October 2017 - 03:54 AM, said:

I mainly started becoming a fan of the sonic the hedgehog franchise when I was first introduced to sonic rpg.

Interesting starting point to become a fan of a franchise that has little to do with that game besides some characters and locations.

View PostFox Cordova, on 13 October 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

4) Of course I love the feeling of go super fast through a level. I don't really get that feeling in Modern games, but in the Classic games and Mania I do. Emphasis has to be placed on what made Sonic important to begin with; his speed.

Umm... Sonic goes actually faster in modern games, or at least I feel it that way. And no, again, classic Sonic isn't about speed, speed is a nice result of what Sonic games are about: physics and flow. Modern games are the ones focusing on speed over every other element of the game, including controls and fun.

#41 User is offline Frozen Nitrogen 

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:08 PM

  • Wouldn't the door have been easier?
  • Posts: 1154
  • Joined: 03-March 09
  • Location:Glorious Uzbek Republik
  • Project:Wiki general
  • Wiki edits:6,025

View PostSeyonix, on 04 September 2017 - 05:28 PM, said:

I understand that all of us here like Sonic in one shape or form, but what about the franchise do you like?

1) People tend to like stuff they're good at. And 25 years of practice has made me good at Sanic (or at least 'good at knowing stuff about Sanic', I never had any particular talent for actual gameplay)
2) Nostalgia
3) Cool level themes

#42 User is offline Hukos 

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:32 PM

  • Posts: 482
  • Joined: 11-May 12
  • Gender:Male
2D Platformers are my favorite genre, so it only stands to reason I'd like one of the major 2D platforming franchises.

#43 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:39 PM

  • Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Posts: 16658
  • Joined: 12-January 03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Berkshire, England
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204

View PostFrozen Nitrogen, on 04 November 2017 - 11:08 PM, said:

View PostSeyonix, on 04 September 2017 - 05:28 PM, said:

I understand that all of us here like Sonic in one shape or form, but what about the franchise do you like?

1) People tend to like stuff they're good at. And 25 years of practice has made me good at Sanic (or at least 'good at knowing stuff about Sanic', I never had any particular talent for actual gameplay)
2) Nostalgia
3) Cool level themes

Holy shit, you're not dead! Long time no see, how's things?

#44 User is offline Tichmall 

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:20 AM

  • Posts: 138
  • Joined: 13-July 10
  • Gender:Male
  • Project:J.League PK Party, a "penalty kick" minigame.
I like his shoes. And the music. And the super saiyan thing. And the fact that you're a little hedgehog that goes in freakin' space every two games to destroy giant robots.

#45 User is offline TiMan 

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:45 AM

  • OH NO
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 07-November 17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Israel
Always been in love with the soundtrack and even though I'm not loving all of his games, some of them were really enjoyable in terms of level design and exploration.
For example, Sonic Adventure DX, which I spent years on when I was a kid.

It's pretty much the elements of good controlled speed, platforming and especially good music.
That's why even in some less successful games such as Lost World I find the game at least fun to listen to. Although I'm afraid this is not going to be the case with Forces.

  • 4 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
    Locked
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users