Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Question about Hyrdocity - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Question about Hyrdocity is it a ruin or a modern escape?

#16 User is offline /dev/sr0 

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:12 PM

• Project:Null
Did Eggman build Carnival Night? Where the fuck did Carnival Night even come from? It's the strangest stage in the entire game. On an island full of ruins, there's just a town with working electricity that's constantly partying?
This post has been edited by /dev/sr0: 08 August 2017 - 07:12 PM

#17 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:22 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
I think Eggman built Carnival Night Zone. At least that's what Archie said (In the last issue Eggman was having Snively oversee construction of Carnival Night during the events of Sonic CD. He considered it "tactically important")

#18 User is offline Blue Spikeball 

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:47 PM

Archie shoehorned CD between 2 and 3? Lame.

Anyway, yes, I'm pretty sure it was built by Eggman. Who else could be behind it but the guy who gave us Circus Park and Eggmanland (Unleashed)? He probably can't stand staying away from carnivals and amusement parks too long, given his childishness. So he must have built Carnival Night for himself during his stay in Angel Island.
This post has been edited by Blue Spikeball: 08 August 2017 - 10:48 PM

#19 User is offline Casshern 

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:59 PM

View PostBlue Spikeball, on 08 August 2017 - 08:47 PM, said:

Given the Sega mandates that are known that the Archie staff got I'm pretty sure Sega wanted it that way.

At least to me it looks more of a Sega decision than an Archie one.

#20 User is offline Blue Spikeball 

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:47 PM

Well, I'm not extremely informed on these mandates. But from what I've read, most of them seem to pertain the game characters and their portrayals. They seem to have a hands off approach regarding the storylines, so I don't see them making a "games have to be adapted by release date order" mandate or similar.

#21 User is offline VectorCNC 

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:20 PM

• Project:CNC Sculpture/Artwork
I'm just amazed to learn something so obvious, which I had never known about. I never noticed the Sonic figure in Hydrocity, and I while I was aware of all the ruin elements throughout the zones, I oddly never came to the realization it was a continuing theme. It slightly alters my conceptualization, how refreshing!

#22 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:26 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2

Anyway, yes, I'm pretty sure it was built by Eggman. Who else could be behind it but the guy who gave us Circus Park and Eggmanland (Unleashed)? He probably can't stand staying away from carnivals and amusement parks too long, given his childishness. So he must have built Carnival Night for himself during his stay in Angel Island.

Archie never had adaptions of 1 and 2 back then in the first place.

#23 User is offline Casshern 

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:31 PM

View PostBlue Spikeball, on 08 August 2017 - 10:47 PM, said:

Well, I'm not extremely informed on these mandates. But from what I've read, most of them seem to pertain the game characters and their portrayals. They seem to have a hands off approach regarding the storylines, so I don't see them making a "games have to be adapted by release date order" mandate or similar.

I'm pretty sure that would fall in that category since the games contain stories that deal with the characters and their portrayals.

Everytime Sega shows off the classic games they go by release order (or downright take out CD out of the way) so I can definitely see them ordering Archie to follow the release order of the classics.

But it's just speculation, for all we know the writers just decided to do that on their own.

#24 User is offline Blue Spikeball 

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:35 PM

View PostJaxTH, on 08 August 2017 - 11:26 PM, said:

Archie never had adaptions of 1 and 2 back then in the first place.

So they choose to adapt CD and 3K but not 1 and 2? Huh. I was unaware, it has been ages since I've read it.
This post has been edited by Blue Spikeball: 08 August 2017 - 11:36 PM

#25 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:41 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostCasshern, on 08 August 2017 - 11:31 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure that would fall in that category since the games contain stories that deal with the characters and their portrayals.

Everytime Sega shows off the classic games they go by release order (or downright take out CD out of the way) so I can definitely see them ordering Archie to follow the release order of the classics.

But it's just speculation, for all we know the writers just decided to do that on their own.

CD was Archie's first adaption of a game. After that they mostly adapted games as they came out while others came in later. This stopped when Archie was ordered to stop their story line and adapt SA2 when all they had was a demo.

After that short elseword stories were made to promote games at the end of the books until Archie were ready to adapt things in their own way on their own time.

#26 User is offline Casshern 

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:01 AM

View PostJaxTH, on 08 August 2017 - 11:41 PM, said:

View PostCasshern, on 08 August 2017 - 11:31 PM, said:

CD was Archie's first adaption of a game. After that they mostly adapted games as they came out while others came in later. This stopped when Archie was ordered to stop their story line and adapt SA2 when all they had was a demo.

After that short elseword stories were made to promote games at the end of the books until Archie were ready to adapt things in their own way on their own time.

We're talking about issues 288-289-290 which retell Archie's reboot world version of the events in Sonic 1,2 and CD. 291 was supposed to be Sonic 3.

Hence the whole CD was put in between 2 and 3 discussion.

#27 User is offline Hitlersaurus Christ 

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:33 AM

• @gayanimedad
  • Project:Snoic Generatons 2017
I'm pretty sure I heard that Sonic CD doesn't have a concrete place, just sort of vaguely floating around the original trilogy. (I think Flynn said it, actually, but I don't remember if it was online or on a podcast. Might have been someone from Sega though)
So the specific place it is in the comics doesn't necessarily mean it's canon. Plus, the comics can take liberties with that, right? An awful lot happened during the Unleashed arc, including some loose game adaptations.

#28 User is offline Sid Starkiller 

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:07 AM

I personally put it between 1 and 2.

1 - The Sonic CD spindash could mean Sonic was still developing the move, and by 2 he had perfected it.
2 - The way 2 leads directly into 3 doesn't really leave room for anything in between.

#29 User is offline /dev/sr0 

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:11 AM

• Project:Null

View PostSid Starkiller, on 09 August 2017 - 10:07 AM, said:

I personally put it between 1 and 2.

1 - The Sonic CD spindash could mean Sonic was still developing the move, and by 2 he had perfected it.
2 - The way 2 leads directly into 3 doesn't really leave room for anything in between.

This. If CD was between 2 and 3, Sonic would have had the chaos emeralds the whole time.

#30 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:12 AM

• Chaos Emeralds, Alola form
  • Project:Too many of them
I think the discussion is if it goes between 1 and 2, or directly after 3&K. Perfecting the spindash and thus letting out the super peel-out it's also a reason for me to place it before 2, along with putting it before Tails became Sonic's sidekick.

• 6 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users