Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Runners Adventure leaked - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 7 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Runners Adventure leaked Follow-up to Runners by Gameloft, not online only

#31 User is online Casshern 

Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:16 PM

Some screenshots have been released.

Not bad, but I did liked the old style better.

#32 User is offline LowSeasCaroz 

Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:28 PM

• Project:Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
Well... I can't say I'm disappointed, cause... it's Gameloft. This isn't Sonic Team, it isn't Hardlight, it's Gameloft. So my expectations weren't very high at all.

Yeah, this is unbelievably bland looking. But maybe the gameplay is better than in the first one. We'll see when it comes out.

#33 User is offline Amnimator 

Posted 10 June 2017 - 02:09 PM

Amazing if true. I though Sonic Runners was a pretty good game but didn't reach its full potential. Optimization and trying to reach into the players pockets ruined the game for anyone who otherwise would have spent money on it. If they fix these issues, it could be a hit. Hoping they'd go for a premium mobile kind of thing. Pay once and you get the game, no strings attached, but as long as they fix what was wrong with the first one, I'm certainly interested.

Inb4 "Green Hill again!"

EDIT: It's pretty much confirmed real with TimmiT's post. Ye. Let's hope this is a good one.
This post has been edited by Amnimator: 10 June 2017 - 02:11 PM

#34 User is offline Fenrir 

Posted 10 June 2017 - 02:26 PM

• Eh.
Well that's... a game alright. Original Runners looked better in my opinion though, felt more stylized and less... Plastic.

I got some enjoyment out of Runners and Dash but Gameloft being at the helm is concerning to me.
This post has been edited by Fenrir: 10 June 2017 - 02:27 PM

#35 User is offline Felik 

Posted 10 June 2017 - 02:29 PM

• Wiki edits:1
What the hell? Why didn't they just take the original game and rework it into a more polished single player version?
This looks like garbage.

#36 User is offline Amnimator 

Posted 10 June 2017 - 02:33 PM

Just took a look at the screenshots and.... Ouch. I can't even tell the difference from the foreground and background. You're on a tiny screen on a game that focuses on fast movement. This should be a primary focus. The original Sonic Runners looked much better and was easier to interpret. Not to mention how the art style in this pays little to no attention to the fact it's a Sonic game. It looks like a low budget licensed 90s cartoon game.

I wonder if they're using the same game Sonic Team made and built off of it or if this is a replica. Waiting to see gameplay, or at least a soft launch.

EDIT: Just went to the Gameloft page for this game. I'm worried I'm apart of some botnet: [Linky]
That's some stanky interface design if I've ever seen any.
This post has been edited by Amnimator: 10 June 2017 - 04:29 PM

#37 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:30 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
^ Yes, it's a stanky interface, but it's legit, despite how virusy it seems.

So I actually bought this and am playing it right now. I will say this. It's a bit more fugly than the original Sonic Runners, but it is a better game. There's more objectives, more gimmicks (there are springs in this game for example, they did not exist in the original). and overall better design. Hitting a wall will not immediately kill you, falling off a ledge costs 100 rings instead of insta death, there are no more random gems to collect, and overall it just feels better. Having a finite end is a much better experience. To add more value they've added laps to the game, so you can now go through different routes each lap to collect more rings or to defeat more enemies. You now have ranks per level by beating certain challenges (a 3 star system similar to angry birds, with more stars for getting more rings or defeating more enemies, things like that). Said stars will unlock certain levels in various worlds in the story mode. Also, the fugliness exists for a reason. The game is more 3D than the original. Some gimmicks will do some camera finagling and you can tell the level surface is 3D.

So yea, it's a better game even from the start. I'll report back later with more opinions but from the start it's already better. Now to hope they don't fuck it up like what happened with the original Runners.

EDIT: There are other modes in this game too. Some levels are similar to the time trial mode from the original game. The difference is though you collect clocks to continue the level, but there is still an end post. If you reach the end post you are awarded a special stage, where you do some flappy bird movements to get more rings. There are also multiple available unlockable characters. Right now there's Team Sonic, Team Dark, and Team Chaotix. Some are unlocked via game progression, some are unlocked via rings.
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 10 June 2017 - 03:46 PM

#38 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:43 PM

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Wiki edits:8

WELP

The presentation was the best thing Sonic Runners had going for it. It had a really neat and cute chibi style and good new music.

In this they made generic new models for some reason???? And also seemingly used the animation of a generic running guy for Sonic which just looks really awkward?????? And they're using music from Generations despite Runners having an original soundtrack that they could have used???????????????

Gameplay-wise this is probably better but OOF they really fucked up the part I really liked the most about Runners. What really sticks out to me is Sonic's running animation. They didn't even bother trying to get Sonic's running animation right
This post has been edited by TimmiT: 10 June 2017 - 03:46 PM

#39 User is offline Fenrir 

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:49 PM

• Eh.
Ugh, I'm trying to create an account so I can get it but it keeps telling me my phone number is invalid. Anyone else having this issue?

#40 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:51 PM

View PostTimmiT, on 10 June 2017 - 03:43 PM, said:

WELP

The presentation was the best thing Sonic Runners had going for it. It had a really neat and cute chibi style and good new music.

In this they made generic new models for some reason???? And also seemingly used the animation of a generic running guy for Sonic which just looks really awkward?????? And they're using music from Generations despite Runners having an original soundtrack that they could have used???????????????

Gameplay-wise this is probably better but OOF they really fucked up the part I really liked the most about Runners. What really sticks out to me is Sonic's running animation. They didn't even bother trying to get Sonic's running animation right

It's still an early release. To be fair, we've only had access to it via sketchy Russian websites.

Some songs still exist from Runners. All the menu music is from Runners, but the GHZ track is GHZ (Generations Classic anyway), because, well, it's GHZ. In fact I appreciate that more as it's not lying to itself. It is GHZ and it says as much. Animation wise, well I can't tell too much right now because I'm drunk (USA MA Pride weekend y'all!), but it seems ok. This is a soft launch, and they'll likely build off the model.

The important thing is that the gameplay is far more on point than the original. They can fix animations and soundtracks easily, but they already got the gameplay part down.

#41 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:56 PM

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Wiki edits:8
True, a lot of this is probably subject to change. I hope that at the very least they change Sonic's running animation. Still, it's a real shame to see Runners' style pretty much completely gone here.

#42 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:02 PM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1
So someone is going to rip all those sprites from the Java ME version right? we let Unleashed Mobile slip away and never got a real proper sprite set from that game.

#43 User is offline Amnimator 

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:04 PM

View PostDark Sonic, on 10 June 2017 - 03:30 PM, said:

^ Yes, it's a stanky interface, but it's legit, despite how virusy it seems.

So I actually bought this and am playing it right now. I will say this. It's a bit more fugly than the original Sonic Runners, but it is a better game. There's more objectives, more gimmicks (there are springs in this game for example, they did not exist in the original). and overall better design. Hitting a wall will not immediately kill you, falling off a ledge costs 100 rings instead of insta death, there are no more random gems to collect, and overall it just feels better. Having a finite end is a much better experience. To add more value they've added laps to the game, so you can now go through different routes each lap to collect more rings or to defeat more enemies. You now have ranks per level by beating certain challenges (a 3 star system similar to angry birds, with more stars for getting more rings or defeating more enemies, things like that). Said stars will unlock certain levels in various worlds in the story mode. Also, the fugliness exists for a reason. The game is more 3D than the original. Some gimmicks will do some camera finagling and you can tell the level surface is 3D.

So yea, it's a better game even from the start. I'll report back later with more opinions but from the start it's already better. Now to hope they don't fuck it up like what happened with the original Runners.

EDIT: There are other modes in this game too. Some levels are similar to the time trial mode from the original game. The difference is though you collect clocks to continue the level, but there is still an end post. If you reach the end post you are awarded a special stage, where you do some flappy bird movements to get more rings. There are also multiple available unlockable characters. Right now there's Team Sonic, Team Dark, and Team Chaotix. Some are unlocked via game progression, some are unlocked via rings.

Nice, thanks man. Really sounds like something I'd like to play, but like TimmiT said, the visuals really are a shame. There's a really good chance this is what will ruin what potential this game has if they don't do a full overhaul as ASAP as possible. But Gameloft, it sounds like you done good, but seriously, redesign that webpage. Holy moley don't make me want to do a virus scan on your official website.

Surprised it's out on soft launch this soon and I wish Gameloft and the devs best of luck. If they can just redo the visuals, make new music, this can be real good - and I want it to be real good! They have a chance on highlighting everything Runners did well and then some.
This post has been edited by Amnimator: 10 June 2017 - 04:05 PM

#44 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:10 PM

View PostLanzer, on 10 June 2017 - 04:02 PM, said:

So someone is going to rip all those sprites from the Java ME version right? we let Unleashed Mobile slip away and never got a real proper sprite set from that game.

They're really aren't that many sprites to begin with. The game is essentially all 3D models, and if not that, screenshots of said 3D models. It's why the story character icons look off.

And to be fair, everyone will be able to get the game off the Google App store soon enough. It wont be this Russian sketchy nonsense like it is right now. Visuals and soundtrack wise I can't give as much reassurance, but overall I'll say it's a far better game than the original Runners, and everything looks a lot better in motion than it does in stills.
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 10 June 2017 - 04:15 PM

#45 User is offline Amnimator 

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:17 PM

Yeah, I have to admit, it looks better in motion. I have a way easier time distinguishing the background from the foreground when everything is moving. If they aren't going to overhaul the visuals in Green Hill I'll be okay with it if they just keep the critique in mind for the next locations and events they add. This is still a soft launch after all.
This post has been edited by Amnimator: 10 June 2017 - 04:26 PM

• 7 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users