Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Archie Sonic Comic Megathread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 216 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread Legacy Thread. IDW topic created.

#3196 User is offline Volphied 

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:46 AM

View PostTylinos, on 11 October 2017 - 03:29 PM, said:

View PostLordOfSquad, on 11 October 2017 - 02:48 PM, said:

Now that all the Archie-Sonic-specific fuckery is (seemingly) behind him, maybe Ian can finally put out the rest of Lost Hedgehog Tales. Maybe? Big, hopeful maybe.

Ian actually posted an update about this on Monday:

http://bumbleking.co...g-tales-update/

In short, he still can't do it just yet for various reasons.

#2 – IDW: The Sonic license moving to IDW is very cool, but it brings up a ton of new questions. IDW is famous for bringing back and completing older runs of fan-favorite franchise books when they can. Does this mean I can maybe one day finish my post-reboot plans? Does it mean I might one day finish my pre-reboot plans? I have no ideas. But the possibility, even if it's infinitesimally small, now exists. And it's entirely too early to predict whether or not it might happen.

Hopefully, this means there's right now a non-zero chance to keep the SatAM cast.

Fingers crossed
This post has been edited by Volphied: 12 October 2017 - 09:46 AM

#3197 User is offline BlackHole 

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:31 PM

• You're going to need MORE than help.
  • Project:Sprites for Cybernetic Outbreak
Or they just multiverse it again and bring in the Archie, IDW, Boom, Underground and StC incarnations?

I'd prefer that option, Penders be damned.

#3198 User is offline /dev/sr0 

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:52 PM

• Project:Null
Holy shit, I just got the news today.
This will lead to a new era. The Flynniverse 2.0: now with less Archie meddling.
Can we keep Nicole though? I really want to keep Nicole.

#3199 User is offline Lanzer 

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:09 PM

• The saber calls for its master...
  • Project:Doing Stuff.
  • Wiki edits:1
So Adam Bryce Thomas forgot to proofcheck his PDFs and well, get a load of this!

https://board.sonics...comment-1165107

https://board.sonics...comment-1165110

Unreleased and future cover art!

EDIT: Yeah I know its posted in the Forces topic too. but more art was discovered that are not soo rough so its worth a mention.
This post has been edited by Lanzer: 12 October 2017 - 10:12 PM

#3200 User is offline Volphied 

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:24 PM

ABT released his pencils for Sonic Universe #95 and 96 and rough layouts for Sonic Universe #97

It's so fucking frustrating that these awesome issues will never be inked and colored, but I'm glad we could at least get a sneak peak.

Now, the only one I'm missing is StH #293, though I'm not sure it even got into pencil phase, coz Yardley only showed parts of 292.

#3201 User is offline Jay T. 

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:04 PM

• Mark Nutt~!
Couple of things:

The first volume of IDW Sonic is up for preorder on Amazon. Also includes some info.

Join the Blue Blur for brand-new adventures as he and his friends race around the world to defeat the evil Dr. Eggman's robotic forces!

The evil genius Dr. Eggman has been foiled--but the work of Sonic the Hedgehog isn't over yet! In the aftermath of the latest epic battle, rogue robots continue to attack small villages around the world. In order to succeed, Sonic will need the help of his friends Tails, Knuckles, and Amy, along with some new and surprising allies. This new collection from acclaimed writer Ian Flynn features the blue blur like you've never seen him before. Gotta go fast!

Also, on the latest BumbleKast episode, around 43:25, Ian confirms that the characters he created for Archie will not be in IDW Comics. Not all that surprising, but it might not look good for those who wanted the Freedom Fighters to come back, going by what he says. Still a possibility they'll return, but we'll have to wait and see.
This post has been edited by Jay T.: 28 December 2017 - 12:18 PM

#3202 User is offline BlackHole 

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:38 PM

So it continues on from Sonic Forces, I guess?

Eh, I thought the game was alright, nothing special, clearly designed for kids, but a fun little romp anyway. But a comic could probably bring out more lore to the Forces world, such as why GUN weren't involved in events.

#3203 User is offline Darth Taco 

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:15 PM

View PostBlackHole, on 28 December 2017 - 12:38 PM, said:

such as why GUN weren't involved in events.

Cause it takes place on Sonic's world and not earth

#3204 User is offline BlackHole 

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:52 PM

I see someone's been watching BrainScratchCommentaries.

#3205 User is offline Darth Taco 

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:55 PM

I don't know who that is :v:

I watched (listened to) Segabits' Aaron Webber interview

And so this post has something actually related to the topic I really hope the idw comics don't take place in the game universe. :v:
This post has been edited by Darth Taco: 28 December 2017 - 02:08 PM

#3206 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:02 PM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostDarth Taco, on 28 December 2017 - 01:55 PM, said:

I really hope the idw comics don't take place in the game universe. :v:

You played no attention to what Sega was trying to force the comic to go then.

#3207 User is offline BlackHole 

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:36 PM

Eh, they might feel more confident with IDW, especially with Flynn at the helm. Other than past works, they might give them a bit more leeway.

#3208 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:47 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
I think it's ok that the comic will be somewhat grounded within Sega lore. The Archie comic pre Flynn is a good example of how off the rails things can get with practically no intervention from Sega whatsoever (They had some weird characters and plots. Sure a lot of it was based off the show but beyond that you had the Evil dimension, that Nate Morgan character, they had Sonic and Tails go to school in one issue for some reason).

Also even when Flynn had to put Sonic into a more game esq universe after the soft reboot he did a pretty good job stitching things together, and Sega gave him some leeway with how some of the less important/less time specific games played out. Examples of that can be seen with Sonic 2 GG being tied in with the AoSTH Breezie plot, Tails Skypatrol being a follow up to Sonic 2 GG and including Naugus, and Sonic the Fighters taking place during Sonic Unleashed, which itself took place after Colors in that universe. Even Sonic 1 and 2's plot included aspects of SatAM. The only thing that kind of stood on its own was Sonic CD, which had a flashback issue that wasn't really tied into any specific point or secondary plot point. But then again that was the last issue before the comic was cancelled so we'll never know how it was tied into the SatAM world.
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 28 December 2017 - 04:50 PM

#3209 User is online Sir_mihael 

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:14 PM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN
Whilst a new original setting would be great, I actually wouldn't mind if the Comics stayed tied-in and fleshed out more of the general game world story, which would keep the games themselves a bit more focused.

Ian's Sonic Forces comics were pretty good example of this. I felt the comics felt more attached to the universe of Sonic more than the game's own events did, so more of that would be fine I reckon.

#3210 User is offline Jason 

Posted 28 December 2017 - 05:45 PM

• *Results not lab tested.
If the games are going to be this light on plot and lore as they have been since Colors for the foreseeable future, the comics fleshing them out and having them make sense is exactly what the franchise needs. At least until good narratives come back to the series. Creating another alternate universe will only make things more confusing. There should be an effort to make the existing canon sensible, rather than create another branch. It makes the series less approachable.
This post has been edited by Jason: 28 December 2017 - 05:48 PM

• 216 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users