Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic 3 Complete - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 123 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic 3 Complete S&K Collection on MD, with fixes, Sonic 3 music and many options.

#1831 User is offline JojHeywood 

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:54 AM

• Arbitrary.
  • Project:jojh.uk
It should be getting ported to the Dreamcast. Go big or go home.

and why go big when you can go home

#1832 User is offline JigenD 

Posted 10 December 2017 - 02:18 PM

View PostKnucklez, on 10 December 2017 - 08:29 AM, said:

All this time I haven't posted on Retro for me to come out of the shadows to just say it. All of this pointless blabbering about porting and other nonsense for a project that has essentially been "complete" since 2013. Both Tiddles and Neo have stated they are done with it for all the various reasons. Passion, time and money are of the essence and people just can't have all of that to keep a great thing going. As it stands, this project is perfect and everything that was set out to be done was accomplished AND MORE. Have a fine day ladies and gentlemen. I will now have my breakfast.

LOl what pointless blabber? All that happened was having simple question regarding the possibility and feasibility of implementing CD quality audio, and smoother animation, to which some users expressed their perspective regarding the unfeasibility of doing such, for one reason or the other.

And as I said, proposing ideas has the advantage of gathering people together who may have their own materials to contribute to the project, or may know of other more obscure projects that may have half of the work done. It's a forum, people discuss things. Deal with it. Across numerous forums which I'm a part of, big projects, or forking of existing projects have been born this way, with people sharing ideas, and then users coming forward, naming other users and what related things they have done, often times years ago. Contacts are made, assets are shared, and step by step, things get built. Look at the Tomb Raider modding community for example. Or the Doom community. Or so many others. Now if you think S3 can't be improved, good for you. Some people happen to think it can be improved just a tiny bit further - and if this was not true you would not have so many people clamoring for a newer port of S3K using the retro engine; heck people even insist on bringing the newer ports of S1 and S2 to consoles and the PC.

At the end of the day, the very idea of tweaking and improving ends up being a very subjective thing. It all boils down to taste, which in itself is very subjective. Some people will say that implementing Sonic 1 & 2 sprites was good for the project; others will say it was needless and there would have been more interesting things to do. You can't make everyone agree with the priority of things 100% of the time. But a minimum degree of agreeableness can be achieved, so long as people don't get assblasted with a simple question.
This post has been edited by JigenD: 10 December 2017 - 02:47 PM

#1833 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:33 PM

• maybe she's born with it
  • Project:maybe it's maybelline
  • Wiki edits:20,569
Of course, one of the issues with implementing a CD audio soundtrack is that you need a CD audio soundtrack to implement.

I've come to believe that it probably isn't possible to accurately enhance Mega Drive Sonic tunes much further than how they stand now. I think Taxman got it right by sourcing out higher quality samples of the Sonic 1/2 instruments (where possible) - doing the same for Sonic 3 would be lovely but going further (and actually justifying the reason for using the Mega-CD for this) is a different story.

For example, what is the lead instrument on the Sonic 3 title screen meant to be? How do you make it "better" while still making it sound like Sonic 3? At least on the NES, square waves are a little bit more open to interpretation - with Sonic, they had the opportunity to actually use instruments that don't sound completely synthetic and they chose not to. And p.s. I've been waiting nearly 20 years for an answer to that question and I've still not seen one :)/>/>

I do like the idea of taking a page from the book of MarkeyJester

Squeezing another sound channel in there.

#1834 User is offline ApocalypticSalad 

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:42 AM

View PostKnucklez, on 10 December 2017 - 08:29 AM, said:

All this time I haven't posted on Retro for me to come out of the shadows to just say it. All of this pointless blabbering about porting and other nonsense for a project that has essentially been "complete" since 2013. Both Tiddles and Neo have stated they are done with it for all the various reasons. Passion, time and money are of the essence and people just can't have all of that to keep a great thing going. As it stands, this project is perfect and everything that was set out to be done was accomplished AND MORE. Have a fine day ladies and gentlemen. I will now have my breakfast.

The reason I'm 'unsatisfied' (for lack of a better word) with the current situation is that a huge amount of time and effort has gone into Sonic 3 Complete since the 2013 release, and none of that has seen the light of day. Neo has, among many other things (most of which I don't know about), implemented green spheres into Blue Sphere, implemented the Sonic CD timer, fixed countless bugs, implemented the drop dash (though not accurately, since Mania wasn't out at the time).

I do wish Neo would take Tiddles up on his offer to fork the project and release something under a new name, because to not be able to play with all of this is heartbreaking.

#1835 User is offline KingofHarts 

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:56 AM

• Project:Project Sonic 8x16
  • Wiki edits:1
Pointless because it's been made clear that Sonic 3 Complete is just that... it's complete. If the guys decide to update it with something new, they will. Things HAVE been worked on when time and resources have permitted. At least this isn't like Megamix and we actually have a completed product.

Personally, I hope mods lock this thread unless Tiddles and crew decide to update.

#1836 User is offline Neo 

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:59 AM

• Clackerjack
  • Project:Sonic 3 Unlocked

View PostApocalypticSalad, on 13 December 2017 - 04:42 AM, said:

I do wish Neo would take Tiddles up on his offer to fork the project and release something under a new name, because to not be able to play with all of this is heartbreaking.

Thank you for the kind words, but I wish people would bring this kind of stuff up with me in private, rather than make me further derail this thread.

#1837 User is offline Saturnine Sable 

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:34 PM

• Nectar Hime
  • Project:SEGA Carnival
I was asked to relay this by a friend:

In sonic 3 alone, one of the most fun things I enjoyed doing was using the bubbleshield while being super sonic. It always felt very fun as you moved really fast and basically became a bouncing ball of destruction. You performed this by jumping, releasing the jump button, and then holding it, making you bounce off of the ground while landing. If you let go of the jump button after a bounce and hold it again, you can chain another. I did not realise this feature was fixed in sonic and knuckles (and by extension sonic 3 and knuckles). When playing Sonic 3 complete, I was expecting to be able to do this, but I was saddened to find it was not able to be performed. I'm not sure if it's incuded as a feature somewhere within the menus that I just cannot find, but I would really like this to be something added to Sonic 3 complete, as its just such an enjoyable part of sonic 3 (I reccomend trying it if you havent).

:v:

#1838 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 21 April 2018 - 06:23 AM

• Wiki edits:18
It's an enjoyable bug, but it's still a bug...
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 21 April 2018 - 06:24 AM

#1839 User is offline KingofHarts 

Posted 22 April 2018 - 11:34 AM

• Project:Project Sonic 8x16

In sonic 3 alone, one of the most fun things I enjoyed doing was using the bubbleshield while being super sonic. It always felt very fun as you moved really fast and basically became a bouncing ball of destruction. You performed this by jumping, releasing the jump button, and then holding it, making you bounce off of the ground while landing. If you let go of the jump button after a bounce and hold it again, you can chain another. I did not realise this feature was fixed in sonic and knuckles (and by extension sonic 3 and knuckles). When playing Sonic 3 complete, I was expecting to be able to do this, but I was saddened to find it was not able to be performed. I'm not sure if it's incuded as a feature somewhere within the menus that I just cannot find, but I would really like this to be something added to Sonic 3 complete, as its just such an enjoyable part of sonic 3 (I reccomend trying it if you havent).

I used to think this was originally intended... I was a dumb child.
This post has been edited by KingofHarts: 22 April 2018 - 11:45 AM

#1840 User is offline TheInvisibleSun 

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:08 PM

• OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST
  • Project:Sonic 1 Color Contrast

View PostKingofHarts, on 22 April 2018 - 11:34 AM, said:

I used to think this was originally intended... I was a dumb child.

Well, you're not alone there!

• 123 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users