Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 75 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread Mighty and Ray Are Back In Town

#1111 User is offline jubbalub 

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:19 PM

• mania fanboy
  • Project:Sonic Mania: The Misfits Pack, Sonic Legends

View PostLaura, on 12 March 2019 - 05:45 PM, said:

None of the mods work for me now with the new launcher. I'm guessing the mods themselves need to be updated.

Hortinus' Metal Sonic mod still works though, which is cool!

Mods shouldn't need to update to the latest version unless they use DLL's or make code changes. Try manually redownloading the latest modloader.

#1112 User is offline Laura 

Posted 14 March 2019 - 03:24 PM

• Brightened Eyes
I've reinstalled the mod loader multiple times now and certain mods just don't work now. I have no knowledge whatsoever on coding, but I imagine it's the mods themselves, because certain ones do work. It's just odd that even some sprite mods don't work.

#1113 User is offline MainMemory 

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:44 PM

• Every day's the same old thing... Same place, different day...
  • Project:SonLVL
  • Wiki edits:1,339
Mods which edit the GameConfig.bin file will not work unless they are updated. Said file contains the common palette data for the entire game, including the playable characters, so it's very commonly edited.

#1114 User is offline .Luke 

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:57 AM

The only thing that gets me is the in-game performance demands of Mania are still where they were before, because it turns out Denuvo was never the culprit. I talked with some people on the Steam forums, and they said it was the result of an idle-skipping bug that's been there since day-one! :specialed: (Most developers are careful with Denuvo's implementation, so the real issue here is preservation/modding.) It's really that simple, even Sonic CD Remastered has idle-skipping issues if, and only if, the window is out of focus.

You have no idea how mad I am at Past Me right now, I'm eating so much crow. But, I'd rather concede than pretend I was never wrong.

At least it's all behind us now! The game deserves more love- and mods. :eng101:

View PostRankoChan, on 09 March 2019 - 08:53 AM, said:

Looks like I'll finally be picking this up on PC after cancelling my preorder over the Denuvo nonsense. Good work Sega.

Mania is currently on sale, too! 66% off. ($6.79 USD) Now is a good time to buy the game on PC, free of Denuvo and you get a good discount. :)

#1115 User is offline Laura 

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:24 AM

• Brightened Eyes
Denuvo definitely impacted game performance though, Mania on PC runs way better for me now, especially with that awful Time Attack slowdown bug.

#1116 User is offline The Growler 

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:55 AM

I've never ever had slowdown problems with Mania, nor have I had any problems with Denuvo; if I'd never been on this site, I wouldn't have known it was ever an issue.

#1117 User is offline Laughingcow 

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:19 AM

They seem to be system specific issues which is why the bugs are so hard to squish. In Denovo's case, it affects weaker computers who can't handle the decryption shit. I've got an old i7-4770 and a GTX 980 so I've had no issues in any of my games.

#1118 User is offline Laura 

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:30 AM

• Brightened Eyes
For me, when Mania had denuvo you would have a second delay between act transitions, and more recently, horrendous slowdown when selecting the final levels of the time attack mode. The biggest issue was that restarting a time attack level would result in a second delay.

But otherwise, the performance wasn't greatly affected.

#1119 User is offline .Luke 

Posted 17 March 2019 - 05:28 AM

I never experienced slowdowns with Mania, either. Even my potato laptop can deal with the game fine, but, it having this bug makes it extremely not-battery-friendly; a game that would normally barely register as 4-8% CPU usage shoots up to 87% at times. (Stronger PCs obviously fair better, here. :) Mania still hogs more power on my desktop than Freedom Planet 2, a far more complex game, but it's tolerable.)

The Switch version exists, I know, and it is the most ideal way to play Mania on the go. I will probably double-dip on that version when I get a Switch, however- I don't ever expect this to be fixed on the PC version, but it would be so nice, especially for recording Mania. It's literally the only thing that mildly bugs me about the PC version, the port is pretty solid outside of this.

View PostLaura, on 16 March 2019 - 11:30 AM, said:

For me, when Mania had denuvo you would have a second delay between act transitions, and more recently, horrendous slowdown when selecting the final levels of the time attack mode. The biggest issue was that restarting a time attack level would result in a second delay.

But otherwise, the performance wasn't greatly affected.

You're right, I gave it a try and yes, that delay between act transitions and restarting time attack is completely gone now. Even my much stronger desktop was experiencing that hiccup, so this is nice. We take those. :specialed:

And my laptop doesn't stutter on the FMV cutscenes anymore; it's still not exactly in time with the music, but it's a very serious improvement from before. It's the laptop itself being too potato for the HD video files at this point.

#1120 User is offline MartiusR 

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:48 AM

My my, is Sega finally changing their attitude regarding PC releases? Hope so!

Although I'm still sceptical about GOG releases of their games in the future.

On the plus side though, I finally had motivation to get back to Mania and buy Encore DLC.

#1121 User is offline Prototype 

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:43 AM

So, I followed advice on how to update the game to remove-o Denuvo. Now Sonic Mania won't even load for me. Steam will say it's loading or whatever, and then...nothing. Any ideas on how to fix it?

#1122 User is offline MartiusR 

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:57 AM

View PostPrototype, on 20 March 2019 - 04:43 AM, said:

So, I followed advice on how to update the game to remove-o Denuvo. Now Sonic Mania won't even load for me. Steam will say it's loading or whatever, and then...nothing. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Yup, it happened to me as well:

1.If you have highlighted on blue title of the game with constant 0% of downloading, then go into download section and click on the arrow next to Sonic Mania, to put it as "top priority" download. Then just wait until it's finished.

2.If not, then try to close process first (ctr+alt+del), if your Mania is already updated, completely shut down steam application and launch it again (important, if there are any steam updates, let them being installed first). Then you should be able to launch Mania.

#1123 User is offline Prototype 

Posted 21 March 2019 - 04:18 AM

View PostMartiusR, on 20 March 2019 - 05:57 AM, said:

View PostPrototype, on 20 March 2019 - 04:43 AM, said:

Yup, it happened to me as well:

1.If you have highlighted on blue title of the game with constant 0% of downloading, then go into download section and click on the arrow next to Sonic Mania, to put it as "top priority" download. Then just wait until it's finished.

2.If not, then try to close process first (ctr+alt+del), if your Mania is already updated, completely shut down steam application and launch it again (important, if there are any steam updates, let them being installed first). Then you should be able to launch Mania.

I'd completely downloaded the community beta thing before I went to run it. Mania was updated and literally stopped working, no matter what I do. I've restarted Steam, I've uninstalled and reinstalled Sonic Mania. Nothing I do works. I try to run the game, and it says "launching" but then nothing happens. Not even an error message.

EDIT: I had to completely remove all Sonic Mania stuff in my Steam folders to get it to run again. Bye bye save files! Hello fresh Ray playthrough! (Ray-through?)
This post has been edited by Prototype: 21 March 2019 - 04:31 AM

#1124 User is offline Kharen 

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:21 AM

I've tried playing the game using my laptop connected to an HDTV via HDMI, and funny enough, it couldn't play the game at the full resolution. It would always have a smaller screen placed in the center of the television. I'm kind of curious if the new update removing Denuvo will let the game run fullscreen now.

#1125 User is offline .Luke 

Posted Yesterday, 10:02 AM

View PostKharen, on 21 March 2019 - 06:21 AM, said:

I've tried playing the game using my laptop connected to an HDTV via HDMI, and funny enough, it couldn't play the game at the full resolution. It would always have a smaller screen placed in the center of the television. I'm kind of curious if the new update removing Denuvo will let the game run fullscreen now.

Your laptop's screen resolution is likely smaller than the 1080p resolution of the TV, so you'll either have to setup your laptop to display a 1080p resolution for the second "monitor", or use the TV's own settings to zoom in on the laptop's output. (Both are viable.) Because 2D games tend to not be very demanding, I have my laptop display 1920x1080 on the TV, and turn off the laptop's own screen while I have it hooked up to the TV. (And of course, turning the laptop screen back on before shutting it down. :v: ) Turning off the laptop's screen, so the TV is the exclusive display, improves the frame-rate for certain games.

This reminds me, I want to play Mania on the TV soon myself. :specialed:

• 75 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users