Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge. - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 408 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge. The stuff that simply has no other home.

#6016 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 15 December 2018 - 01:08 PM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL
I figured it out just before I timed over due to it, so didn't have much trouble - but it's absolutely not intuitive at all. Perhaps if it didn't move when you jumped on it it would've been a lot more sensible.

#6017 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 15 December 2018 - 03:12 PM

• match up tails to the cards
  • Project:you just can't catch 'em, wiggly worms
  • Wiki edits:20,569
Today on "Sega makes things difficult to document"

Posted Image

They've started polluting Sonic Mania Plus by tacking Sonic Forces onto it.

"Sonic Forces & Sonic Mania Plus Double Pack" seems to be the most common name. But who knows.

#6018 User is offline rocksocks 

Posted 18 December 2018 - 05:22 AM

There's crazy golf... and there's crazy golf :)

The final hole at Ghetto Golf, Birmingham, UK

Posted Image

#6019 User is online nineko 

Posted 18 December 2018 - 07:18 AM

• I am the Holy Cat
  • Project:I... don't even know anymore :U
  • Wiki edits:5,251
So, some interesting Sonic 3 & Knuckles quirks keep pouring even after all these years. From TASVideos...

mike89 said:

Basically, with no emeralds, the runner enters a special stage, is placed in the hidden special stage 8, and then is gifted all seven Chaos Emeralds upon exiting. You'd think after 24 years I'd have a handle on this game, but yet again I am utterly bewildered.

BenInSweden said:

We figured this one out, it's due to the emerald count in Save Slot 8, and what we have come to call "Zero Frame Loading" a save file. Where there is 1 frame prior to the data select screen showing on screen that you can load the highlighted save.
[...]
From the code what it seems like is the emerald loading is done based on where the "cursor" is on the data select screen.
After pressing start on the title screen it goes through and loads the emeralds in each save slot sequentially (to build the data select screen), but doesn't clear it after the 8th one, and it's at a stage where the "cursor" hasn't loaded the emeralds for the current file yet.

So that single frame allows you to load the emerald data from the 8th save slot into your current game - however, it doesn't do the counts etc so you can't transform. For that, it requires entering a special stage and failing it (or completing it), to save the emeralds to the current file, and then a re-load of the save file to actually apply being able to use super/hyper.

#6020 User is offline GoldS 

Posted 18 December 2018 - 09:58 AM

• Wiki edits:35
That's a really neat find. I'm starting to suspect that Sonic 3 & Knuckles might be a big buggy!

#6021 User is offline Pengi 

Posted 20 December 2018 - 03:41 AM

Jun Senoue talks about Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's music: http://sonic.sega.jp...0181220_001770/

(He mentions the Sonic/Mega Man crossover comic.)

#6022 User is offline Josh 

Posted 20 December 2018 - 06:48 AM

• TGC Warrior
  • Wiki edits:1

View Postnineko, on 18 December 2018 - 07:18 AM, said:

So, some interesting Sonic 3 & Knuckles quirks keep pouring even after all these years. From TASVideos...

mike89 said:

Basically, with no emeralds, the runner enters a special stage, is placed in the hidden special stage 8, and then is gifted all seven Chaos Emeralds upon exiting. You'd think after 24 years I'd have a handle on this game, but yet again I am utterly bewildered.

BenInSweden said:

We figured this one out, it's due to the emerald count in Save Slot 8, and what we have come to call "Zero Frame Loading" a save file. Where there is 1 frame prior to the data select screen showing on screen that you can load the highlighted save.
[...]
From the code what it seems like is the emerald loading is done based on where the "cursor" is on the data select screen.
After pressing start on the title screen it goes through and loads the emeralds in each save slot sequentially (to build the data select screen), but doesn't clear it after the 8th one, and it's at a stage where the "cursor" hasn't loaded the emeralds for the current file yet.

So that single frame allows you to load the emerald data from the 8th save slot into your current game - however, it doesn't do the counts etc so you can't transform. For that, it requires entering a special stage and failing it (or completing it), to save the emeralds to the current file, and then a re-load of the save file to actually apply being able to use super/hyper.

Huh. Y'know, I have this very vague memory of getting Knuckles' final Super Emerald by what seemed to be getting to the top of the Glowing Spheres bonus stage for the first time. I'd never done it before and it was REALLY TOUGH, so I figured maybe that nets you a free emerald. Of course this glitch applies to Chaos Emeralds and this would've been Super Emeralds, but I wonder if something similar was what actually happened?

It's more likely I was just a dumb kid, but I've always wondered...

#6023 User is offline Prototype 

Posted 21 December 2018 - 06:32 AM

Speaking of "dumb kid things", I remember my older brother accidentally triggered debug mode in Sonic 3 (base) and we had no idea what the hell was going on. We rationalized it as "the SEGA overheating" and messing up since we were always taught to turn it off to cool down after prolonged usage.

#6024 User is offline doc eggfan 

Posted 22 December 2018 - 06:10 PM

• bona fide games journalist
  • Project:GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
  • Wiki edits:2
Posted Image

There was a "world exclusive" Sonic and Knuckles preview broadcast during episode 16 of Australia's The Zone on 13th August 1994

https://retrocdn.net...13-Aug-1994.mp4 (skip to 13:15)

I couldn't see any "betah" stuff, but feel free to prove me wrong.

Also, a few episode back, the Gamestar "Cheat" of the Week was for Sonic 3

https://retrocdn.net...23-Jul-1994.mp4 (skip to 19:36)

#6025 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 27 December 2018 - 02:34 PM

• match up tails to the cards
  • Project:you just can't catch 'em, wiggly worms
  • Wiki edits:20,569
So,

Game Development:Sonic the Hedgehog CD:

Wanting just as much for the game to succeed as Sega of Japan, Sega of America prepped the Mega CD (referred to as simply the "Sega CD" in the United States) for the release of Sonic's latest adventure. Though the code was already set to go on NTSC systems, the game was delayed for a month by executive decision. Looking over the game, SOA decided that they wanted to change the soundtrack already present within. The original tracks created for the Japanese release (which remained in the original European releases), they felt, were simply too similar to other electronic dance scores that were being produced at the time. Wanting to create its own identity, Sega contracted recently hired in-house musician Spencer Nilsen to rescore the entire game, giving him less than a month to do so.

Do we have sources for any of this? Just because while glancing through the Sonic CD US manual, there was something I hadn't clocked onto:

Posted Image Posted Image

http://info.sonicret...nual.pdf&page=7

The US soundtrack uses QSound. They go out of their way, just a few pages in, to describe how to set up a QSound system (spoilers: the setup is exactly the same as stereo, because the idea behind QSound is it's meant to be "more stereo").

Given that this manual doesn't feel the need to acknowledge that bosses exist in the game, this would suggest to me that Sega of America thought that QSound was important. Almost as if they'd bought into a technology and were keen to shoehorn it into their big products.

Could it be then, that the whole reason a second soundtrack exists isn't because of some wacky assumptions about American tastes and hatred of dance, but because they were pushing different audio technology?

#6026 User is offline Billy 

Posted 29 December 2018 - 12:21 AM

• RIP Oderus Urungus
  • Project:retrooftheweek.net - Give it a visit and tell me what you think!
  • Wiki edits:15
That seems like a lot of money to spend just to include such a technology, unless they were contractually obligated to include it. Also, since I don't know anything about it, is there some reason the original soundtrack could not be re-encoded with QSound?

#6027 User is offline doc eggfan 

Posted 31 December 2018 - 02:55 PM

• bona fide games journalist
  • Project:GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
  • Wiki edits:2

"He chills to reggae!"

What is the (repetitive) music used in the background? Anyone recognise it? It sort of sounds sonic-y, like for an options screen or something.
This post has been edited by doc eggfan: 01 January 2019 - 03:21 PM

#6028 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 03 January 2019 - 04:53 PM

• Just an angry spark of electricity.
  • Project:Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
  • Wiki edits:112
Here's something I just realized today, while working on my Sonic 1 Game Gear disassembly. When you destroy a speed shoes monitor in both versions of the game, the ring sound effect plays. This is quite odd, and it got me thinking and realizing that the checkpoint monitor doesn't play a sound except for the explosion sound and that's just because you destroyed the monitor. I think the ring sound effect was meant to be played when destroying a checkpoint monitor, but mistakenly got placed after the speed shoes monitor logic. There's no need to play a sound effect after getting the speed shoes, because the tempo of the music really is the only thing that should be affected by the power up. Here's a short video demonstrating what I mean:

#6029 User is offline biggestsonicfan 

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:28 PM

• Model2wannaB
  • Project:Formerly Sonic the Fighters
https://youtu.be/HtASY8KsJEg?t=334

"in the early stages of Sonic Heroes, Fang was also planned to appear as a playable character. He would have been on a team with Bean and Bark."

Where in the world did they get this info?

#6030 User is offline Turbohog 

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:27 PM

• Wiki edits:22
I found some other information in that video to be doubtful. I had never heard that Chaos was supposed to be some sort of mutated Chao. It seems like they came to that conclusion just because there were some Chao making noises when Chaos 0 was on the screen in a flashback sequence. This and the whole "Fang" appearing in Heroes just seem like fan theories. Fang ever being planned to appear in Hereos with Bean and Bark seems especially farfetched.

• 408 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users