Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Bean The Dynamite in Virtua Striker 2 - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

Bean The Dynamite in Virtua Striker 2 has anyone ever made it happen?

#1 User is offline Rlan 

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:43 AM

Long ago in the Sega Saturn Magazine, this was posted:

Posted Image

Naturally, this leads to assume Bean the Dynamite is in Virtua Striker 2's Yuki-Chan team.

However, this doesn't actually seem to be the case, or at least, nothing that I've done has lead to this. He doesn't appear on the Yuki Chan team, nor the FC Sega team.

I've tried multiple versions of the game (Original, 98, 2000) but alas, nothing has made it possible. Is there another version with him in it?

The only other possible thing I've seen has shown up on GameFAQS for the Dreamcast version

Select arcade mode and select FC Sega as the opposing team. Wait until there are only 15 seconds remaining in the game, then kick the ball out of play to stop the match. Go to change players and Bean will be available.

But it seems insane that you might be able to play as the character for a whole 15 seconds. For the character to appear multiple times in those screenshots taken at an arcade, it seems like you'd actually have him on the team for a little bit longer.

So I ask - has anyone ever actually been able to accomplish this task and get Bean in the game?

#2 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:54 AM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostRlan, on 12 March 2017 - 02:43 AM, said:

Long ago in the Sega Saturn Magazine

Which one?

#3 User is offline Rlan 

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:06 AM

View PostJaxTH, on 12 March 2017 - 02:54 AM, said:

Which one?

Official Sega Saturn Magazine #30, April 1998.

#4 User is offline Galvatron 

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:06 AM

• Wiki edits:1

Which one?

It was from the UK Official SEGA Saturn magazine, the April 1998 issue. Maybe this was an April fools joke?

#5 User is offline Titan 

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:52 AM

• Wiki edits:1
One of the official Fighters Megamix guidebooks says that Bean's hobby is soccer in his profile....so I guess that would at least suggest this *is* real? (If it's intended as a reference to his appearance in VS2)

#6 User is offline Rlan 

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:08 AM

View PostGalvatron, on 12 March 2017 - 03:06 AM, said:

Which one?

It was from the UK Official SEGA Saturn magazine, the April 1998 issue. Maybe this was an April fools joke?

Possibly? Though there was no "Hah! April Fools!" thing in the next issue, and that generally wasn't something that did anyway.

#7 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:49 AM

• wikiman
  • Project:thinking of a better member title
  • Wiki edits:20,569
This was something I wanted to try myself once, but emulation wasn't up to scratch and it was a lot of effort and I forgot about it.

Don't rule out the possibility of it being a Virtua Striker 2 release that hasn't been dumped yet - those are off-camera shots from a real arcade machine, and it's really difficult to fake that sort of thing.

As an aside, Richard Leadbetter who was the editor of SSM at the time is now top dawg of Digital Foundry. I was surprised there was a link between two of my favourite video game media-related things too.

#8 User is offline big smile 

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:49 AM

Yeah, Sega Saturn Magazine never did April fools. The previous version Sega Magazine, which was made by the same team, did do a single April fools, but they immediately explained it the following month (and the April fools itself was very obvious).

Perhaps Bean was from the arcade version and never made it into the home versions.

#9 User is offline baba944 

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:49 AM

Have you tried inputting this code?

start, ↘, start, ↓, ←, start, →, start, →, ↙, start, ↓, start, start and start. To play against MVP Yuki Chan team, press start, ↘, start, ↓, start, ←, start, →, start, →, start, ↙, start, ↓, start, start and start

You have to input it at the team select. I can't do it because I don't have the game.

Source is from a dead link: Gamewinners.com

I think it's only for arcade (at least that's what the cheat section says).

#10 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:24 PM

• wikiman

View Postbaba944, on 12 March 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

Always good to read the first post I think.

I threw this into Supermodel and at the very least I can confirm the code works, and that the description matches the code. No Bean though - it's clearly a shot of Virtua Striker 2, but given the relative quality of the picture compared to the MVP Yukichan ones, I'd guess it was taken on a different day under different circumstances and is an entirely unrelated thing.

#11 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:05 PM

• wikiman
Alternatively you could go back a page and get that Sonic buggy working in Le Mans 24.

#12 User is offline Rlan 

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:13 PM

To add to it - it does appear to be the original Virtua Striker 2, not the 98 revision, based on the Coca Cola ads in the background which are different in later iterations.

#13 User is offline Sploit 

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:02 PM

• Wiki edits:5
I believe he is only in the original arcade version of Virtua Striker 2, not the updated revisions. The Dreamcast did not get the original version of the game, so he doesn't appear in it.

I bought the Dreamcast version and was disappointed that the instructions to make Bean appear amounted to nothing.

#14 User is offline baba944 

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:17 PM

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 12 March 2017 - 03:24 PM, said:

View Postbaba944, on 12 March 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

Always good to read the first post I think.

I threw this into Supermodel and at the very least I can confirm the code works, and that the description matches the code. No Bean though - it's clearly a shot of Virtua Striker 2, but given the relative quality of the picture compared to the MVP Yukichan ones, I'd guess it was taken on a different day under different circumstances and is an entirely unrelated thing.

At first I didn't know what you mean, but then I re-read it. Thank you for correcting me.

Page 1 of 1
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users