Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Crackers is not a Beta, it's a joke - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 7 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Crackers is not a Beta, it's a joke Crackers is a joke among developers/pirates

#16 User is offline infinity 

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:57 AM

The wealth of game data is because likely they had ACCESS to the game data. Gamedevelopers were also often once pirates or demosceners and made fun of each other. There's no point in me arguing more make up your own minds. Someone in Sega of Europe thought it'd be fun to laugh at both Knuckles Chaotix and a little bit at Sonic 3D at the same time. It was released only a few months after Chaotix official release - that doesn't happen in the warez scene! They threw it in the warez scene as a joke and said it was a beta.

Game developers learnt to code somewhere. Many of them in demos and also warez in the beginning. Sega was competitive at the time, VERY much competing SoA/SoE/SoJ. And I just have a sneaking suspicion in this case they were German.

They HAD the code of the game. It's not a first ROM, its a broken rom on purpose! how could you deny that? It's deliberately a broken joke about the bad physics (they even get worse up the level in the chaotix ones). I think the RESET button not working is a joke too but i don't know for sure (why break it on purpose?). Tails/Sonic are in it because they were always in it.

In late 1995 is when this kind of thing stopped happening because the piracy scene stopped doing this kind of thing except in demos... no more SUPER early leaks and so on, or code sharing, and so on. People borrowed source codes, leaked games, because they all joined the industry as friends. That's what leads to things like this.

So ok - the rom is legitimate and by (someone at or connected to) SEGA if you insist - but it's not a serious beta of Chaotix. It is a joke.

But it wouldn't be the first joke sonic game now would it... Sonic Blast anyone?
This post has been edited by infinity: 19 February 2017 - 08:58 AM

#17 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:06 AM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2
All I'm hearing you say is that you are right because you are saying you are right.

#18 User is offline infinity 

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:19 AM

No look I'm not trying to win an argument.. I'm just stacking up facts in my head about the releases, the content, the nature of the game scene back in 1995. If you think if it's really the first edition of an engine test (thats broken in both modes) then it's your opinion. Sure it could be a work in progress. Then why is it out in the public warez domain in 1995? An early engine test (the first??). Hope you understand where I'm coming from. Because that kinda thing wouldn't be leaked or arguably you wouldn't even keep such a piece of work especially share it with anyone.

I think it's an interesting discussion anyway at least. I mean maybe whoever had Sega access raided the codebase for some early version of the game to release? I can't say the actual situation I just have a feeling saying it's straight up definitely the first prototype of the new Sonic game is wrong. I mean isn't the new game supposed to showcase the 32x anyway?

Also do you think maybe a 32x version of Sonic Crackers would exist in some form? Yet they released a Megadrive version (because it was released to pirates and afaik no 32x copier ever existed). Tbh the whole situation is quite mysterious i just thought I'd be an interesting discussion.

PS: one funny idea in my head is someone making Knuckles Chaotix work in progress inside Sega, then someone throwing them Sonic Crackers just to try and annoy them about their game and encourage them to work harder; i heard this kind of stuff was certainly happening in early 90s.
This post has been edited by infinity: 19 February 2017 - 09:21 AM

#19 User is offline Neo 

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:19 AM

• Clackerjack
  • Wiki edits:1

View Postbig smile, on 19 February 2017 - 08:45 AM, said:

I wouldn't read too much into Crackers being a silly name. It was probably made by a Japanese development team, who might have thought the word meant something else. A bit like how Donkey Kong was supposed to mean stubborn monkey.

Case in point: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clackers

#20 User is offline Flygon 

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:21 AM

• Dem Melons
  • Project:SMS RPG script
  • Wiki edits:10

View Postinfinity, on 19 February 2017 - 09:19 AM, said:

Also do you think maybe a 32x version of Sonic Crackers would exist in some form? Yet they released a Megadrive version (because it was released to pirates and afaik no 32x copier ever existed). Tbh the whole situation is quite mysterious i just thought I'd be an interesting discussion.

32x ROMs are dumped the exact same way as Mega Drive ROMs. The difference is purely in physical cart shape. Nothing else.

View PostNeo, on 19 February 2017 - 09:19 AM, said:

I wouldn't read too much into Crackers being a silly name. It was probably made by a Japanese development team, who might have thought the word meant something else. A bit like how Donkey Kong was supposed to mean stubborn monkey.

TIL - This explains a hell of a lot. I wish I learnt about these earlier.

#21 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:28 AM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostFlygon, on 19 February 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

TIL - This explains a hell of a lot. I wish I learnt about these earlier.
So that's what the unused sphere graphics were supposed to be! :v:
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 19 February 2017 - 09:29 AM

#22 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:28 AM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
Hmmm...Clackers and Crackers.... A lot of Japanese friends I had in the past made the mistake of using an R instead of an L. And just recently there was some concept art from Xtreme that used R (ROG) to spell Log . the R was crossed out and replaced with an L. The R sounds kinda like the L to them.
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 19 February 2017 - 09:30 AM

#23 User is offline big smile 

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:41 AM

Plus Sega is bad for English to Japanese name conversions. Over the years we've had Emi Rose, Knackles, Metru Sonic.... Crackers is not much of a stretch.

#24 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:42 AM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2

Then why is it out in the public warez domain in 1995?

You keep bringing this up but Crackers itself is, once again, dated as April 1st, 1994. It being out in the wild in 1995 means nothing.

Because that kinda thing wouldn't be leaked or arguably you wouldn't even keep such a piece of work especially share it with anyone.

If that was the case no protos would ever be released.

#25 User is online Blue Blood 

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:45 AM

• Wiki edits:6

This makes so much sense. Why have I never heard this mentioned before?

#26 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:00 AM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Crackers = Clackers = the link system. Mind = blown

Suddenly the name makes fucking sense!

#27 User is offline Laura 

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:17 AM

• Brightened Eyes
Well, that actually sorts out the Crackers name, well done Neo!

#28 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:46 AM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL
Yep, mind completely blown on that. Sonic Clackers makes perfect sense.

#29 User is offline Laura 

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:44 AM

• Brightened Eyes
We still have some unanswered questions though. Who are Morgoth and Gandalf, how come they have no digital trace?

And how come they got their hands on such an early prototype of Chaotix only a few months after the game's launch?

#30 User is offline High Fidelity 

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:49 AM

Clackers :v: :v: :v: :v: amazing

• 7 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users