Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: What is Collision Chaos supposed to be? - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

What is Collision Chaos supposed to be? The city of sequins with pink dirt

#16 User is offline Sodaholic 

Posted 14 February 2017 - 05:25 PM

Yeah, I guess Collision Chaos is pretty abstract compared to the other levels. It never occurred to me before.

View PostSlingerland, on 25 January 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

Try doing a weed. Then Collision Chaos will make sense.
I would say that acid is more relevant.

View PostShalpp, on 27 January 2017 - 12:15 AM, said:

pot needles
Since when do people inject weed? :P

#17 User is offline Hinchy 

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:44 PM

• Up And Down And All Around
  • Project:high quality video game rips
  • Wiki edits:32
Yeah, nah, weed doesn't make CC make sense - weed makes you feel even more aware of and more wowed by the mystery. [7]
This post has been edited by Hinchy: 16 February 2017 - 12:47 PM

#18 User is offline VectorCNC 

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

• Project:CNC Sculpture/Artwork
I posted this a while back in another forum, but this is a picture I took at home in the morning a few months back. It instantly made me think of Collision Chaos. So as far as "what Collision Chaos is supposed to be", I can't say, but as far as the palette goes, maybe it is early morning in the zone.

Note: No "weeds" were harmed in the creation of this photo.

Posted Image

#19 User is offline Hinchy 

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:52 PM

• Up And Down And All Around
  • Project:high quality video game rips
  • Wiki edits:32
(For the record, I always interpreted Collision Chaos as some sort of weird abstract amusement park? I have no basis for that assumption though - just the funhouse layout and the funtastic JP music.)
This post has been edited by Hinchy: 20 February 2017 - 11:53 PM

#20 User is offline Liraxus 

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:08 AM

• Enchilada
  • Project:Nothing, really.

View PostHinchy, on 20 February 2017 - 11:52 PM, said:

(For the record, I always interpreted Collision Chaos as some sort of weird abstract amusement park? I have no basis for that assumption though - just the funhouse layout and the funtastic JP music.)

Frankly, I find this to be the strongest guesses among the group here. With the whole pinball gimmick and the bumpers, there's obviously some goal of amusement here. Should be added that the past variant looks to be heavily influenced off of Palmtree Panic, and in the Good/Bad future both have updated displays that seem to give off more of a city-esque vibe.

Why the hell there's a big land in the sky? My only guess is the same as mentioned before, that's Sonic's planet, and we're just on the part of Freedom Planet that's very very close to it.

#21 User is offline ParleyMint 

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:47 AM

• Sonic Vidya Music Curator
Collision Chaos seems to me like Sunset Park with a pink overlay.
This post has been edited by ParleyMint: 06 March 2017 - 11:47 AM

#22 User is offline Shadow Hog 

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:34 PM

• "I'm a superdog!"
  • Wiki edits:10
I always kind of assumed Collision Chaos was the bit where Sonic ascends the chain, despite the absence of any chain to ascend - Amy isn't captured until that point in the game (despite some manuals saying she was kidnapped before Palmtree Panic), and the whole upside-down-land-at-the-top-of-the-level thing sorta lends itself to that theory as well (though which side is Never Lake/Earth and which side is Little Planet is ambiguous - I always figured upside-down was Little Planet, but I can't provide any evidence to support that).

Though what it is beyond that, anything that'd justify all the bumpers, flippers and neon signs everywhere... I dunno, your guess is as good as mine.

#23 User is offline Shalpp 

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:51 PM

• WHAT A HIT -- HE'LL REMEMBER THAT NUMBER
  • Project:some sonic cd video for a channel that's not gonna kick off lmfao
ITS A POWER PLANT THATS FURTHER AND FURTHER IN DEVELOPMENT NEXT TO A SHITTY DOWNTOWN AREA
Where the bad future seems to be nasty coal or oil or other mass pollution, the good future seems to be hydroelectric with plants than help with oxygen production. The big spinning log is actually a turbine. Completely immobile in the past, kind of in motion in the present, and spinning fast, generating energy in the future.

I can't make sense of the obstacles and other set pieces but they're probably there just to be analogous with SYZ

Makes the most sense imo

The past is the innocent piece of land that gets I AM AN UNFUNNY SHITSTAIN turned into said power plant
This post has been edited by Shalpp: 11 April 2017 - 08:25 PM

#24 User is offline IndyCotton 

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:06 PM

If boiling it down simply, I think of a mix of urban city with jungle gym/pinball-inspired scenery and aesthetics. But this is pretty much how I perceived Spring Yard Zone, though I find Collision Chaos a bit wackier and funkier in music.

#25 User is offline synchronizer 

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:46 PM

• Wiki edits:19
I always thought that the "land in the sky" was the result of vertical background scrolling combined with too vertical a level layout. Isn't there a similar effect during the pseudo 3D ramp sequence in Palmtree Panic 1?
This post has been edited by synchronizer: 17 April 2017 - 08:47 PM

#26 User is offline Ritz 

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:35 AM

• Subhedgehog
  • Wiki edits:2
The structure in PPZ is a loop, not a ramp. They were going for this. Can't apply to CCZ unless gravity is being warped somehow.

And just for kicks, you can also see that inside loop effect applied a bit more readably in Silhouette Mirage and this Dezaemon game.
This post has been edited by Ritz: 19 April 2017 - 11:46 AM

#27 User is offline TheBlueBlur GAMER 

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:18 PM

• The Ginger Gamer
I'd say Collision Chaos seems a lot like a flashy, colorful, and overall crazy kind of acid trip where you hope to god that you don't land in the flustered pack of bubbles near the end of Act 2 and immediately get hit by a bed of spikes, making you lose your chance at a special sta-wait, where am I going with this?

#28 User is offline Chainspike 

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:02 PM

• Stealing rings since 1994
  • Project:Sonic sprite animation?

View PostBlackHole, on 01 February 2017 - 07:20 PM, said:

Well, he appears to be starting construction where Sonic is running through before branching out into the background in the future and I figured the buildings were a variety of things: storage containers for the refined materials, extra refining centres, drilling platforms to look for more resources, etc.

Really, it's all up to how you interpret it. All it's supposed to be is Spring Yard Zone, to the point that CC and SY are the only two Zones where an act has multiple signposts.

It goes even further than that, both levels are the third zone in the game, thanks to R2.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users