Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: The community turns 20 years old this year - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 9 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

The community turns 20 years old this year Time to reflect

#16 User is offline DarkVDee 

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:07 PM

• Vampire Pixel Artist
  • Project:Sonic: Haven Home World
I wished I was there around those time but didn't own a PC back then because those things were expensive (and they still are lol.) I first came here as a lurker 10 years ago. How time has passed...

#17 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:07 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
Ah yes, Tweaker. Why'd he get banned again?

Also I miss SonicQuoter from CulT. It was always happenin with him.
This post has been edited by Dark Sonic: 03 January 2017 - 07:08 PM

#18 User is offline Sparks 

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:08 PM

• Project:Kyle and Lucy: Wonderworld
  • Wiki edits:21
I joined the site during the SWS2B days as well. Can't believe its been almost 12 years since those days I first learned of ESE, SonED 2, etc. and began building levels with them.

That means I joined this site when I was 11. I spent my entire teenage life here. :psyduck:

#19 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:11 PM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9
We probably shouldn't be discussing Tweaker in this topic. Besides, this is a happy topic, keep drama away.

View PostSparks, on 03 January 2017 - 07:08 PM, said:

I joined the site during the SWS2B days as well. Can't believe its been almost 12 years since those days I first learned of ESE, SonED 2, etc. and began building levels with them.

That means I joined this site when I was 11. I spent my entire teenage life here. :psyduck:/>

I'm 31. I was 11 when I started going to Area 51. That means I've spent the majority of my life having talked to people here.
This post has been edited by Cooljerk: 03 January 2017 - 07:13 PM

#20 User is offline Lizam 

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:15 PM

• Lizam
  • Project:Mario & Sonic: Worlds Clash
Mostly a longtime lurker, but you all have provided many years of insightful and technical discussions of my favourite franchise.

Cheers :)

#21 User is offline Jason 

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:25 PM

• *Results not lab tested.
Been part of one forum or another since 2004. I'm constantly impressed with how our creme de le creme keeps finding new things to do with this blue bastard. Even Sega is finally starting to take notice of it. Honestly, a bit jealous at times for some of the things :v: . You guys are all pretty great.

Meanwhile outside this bubble we're all Chris-chan.
This post has been edited by Jason: 03 January 2017 - 07:27 PM

#22 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:29 PM

View PostJason, on 03 January 2017 - 07:25 PM, said:

Meanwhile outside this bubble we're all Chris-chan.

I think less of the people who think like that than I do Chris-chan : :v:/>

Re:Jealousy - I've never really felt jealous of anybody in this scene, although for sure I've admired the hell out of certain people and accomplishments. Part of the reason I never have felt jealous is because of how open and inviting this scene is. The true hacking spirit runs through the Sonic Community. "Competitive collaboration," as I've always called it. People will blow your mind with some demonstration, but if you hit them up on the side, they're usually more than willing to help you or explain how it all works. One of the best things about this community is the tools people selflessly provide for self-education. Through the sonic community, I picked up m68k microprocessor assembly. I consider myself a better computer scientist because I've hung around here so long.
This post has been edited by Cooljerk: 03 January 2017 - 07:32 PM

#23 User is offline Slingerland 

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:22 PM

• Project:Sonic Mania
  • Wiki edits:85
Someone make a 20th anniversary of the community logo and make Gene put it next to the Sonic 25 logo on the Mania art.

Maaaarrcccc make the logoooooo

#24 User is offline Shoemanbundy 

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:25 PM

• Project:selling shoes
  • Wiki edits:1
I used to lurk around on the old Sonic 2 Beta Anyboard on my old WebTV back in 1999~2000. By far the moments that have most stood out for the whole Sonic scene has been all of the proto releases, since it was the "Simon Wai" beta that brought everyone together to begin with. I don't think any one series has been as prolific and interesting with protos as Sonic.

So here's to even more protos to come!

#25 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:45 PM

Speaking of Simon Wai, anybody still in contact with him?

#26 User is offline SonKnuck 

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:11 PM

• The Lazy Guy
  • Project:DBZ Re-enactment and LPs on Youtube
Wait... the Sonic community is as old as the moment I got into the Internet world!? (Yup, come this May I will have been on the Internet for 20 years, since 1997). I know I only joined a Sonic community in 19999, when the Simon Wai Beta surfaced, which makes my living among you 18 years with only 2 years in the Shadow... but wow. I didn't expect the community itself to be 20 years old.

#27 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 03 January 2017 - 10:27 PM

• The architect of the universe, didn't build a stairway, leading nowhere.
  • Wiki edits:16
I've been here roughly 10 years, one year being merely a lurking. I would have been here sooner, but my family were (and still are due to their selfish ignorance) rather poor, so no internet til 2007.

But hey! The last 10 years were pretty cool. It's also rather interesting reading the stories of Area 51. It's like a legend or something =S

#28 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:29 PM

View PostMarkeyJester, on 03 January 2017 - 10:27 PM, said:

It's also rather interesting reading the stories of Area 51. It's like a legend or something =S

It wasn't the only site, honestly. There was another site that I used to routinely visit -- I believe it was maintained by l0st or maybe LocalH or some other member which I can't remember. It had a really low-key design, it was basically all one hand-coded HTML page that was maybe just one or a handful of pages long, and it had an aesthetic that reminded me of the Japanese Sonic box art.

You can still find Area 51 online if you look on the internet wayback machine, but they are the later years from the 2000's that are archived. You can also still find Secrets of Sonic Team online, which always reminded me quite a bit of Area 51.

Back in those days, there wasn't a ton of "hacking" going on, mainly just information documenting; going through magazines and finding prototype pictures, theories flying around, fan recreations in klik n kreate... the first "hacking" stuff was probably the oil palace zone save state hacking stuff, and that came just before the Simon Wai prototype was actually dumped.

I remember when the Simon Wai prototype actually surfaced online. It felt like it all happened so fast. It was an enormous "WFT" moment - someone actually found a cart with all this prototype shit on it??! And even dumped it?! Even at the time, in the early days of rom dumping and the internet, it was apparent how extremely fortunate and uncommon that was.

Really good memories.

#29 User is offline MarkeyJester 

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:01 AM

• The architect of the universe, didn't build a stairway, leading nowhere.
  • Wiki edits:16

View PostCooljerk, on 03 January 2017 - 11:29 PM, said:

You can still find Area 51 online if you look on the internet wayback machine, but they are the later years from the 2000's that are archived.

You know, I think I will do just that~

You can also still find Secrets of Sonic Team online, which always reminded me quite a bit of Area 51.

Oh yeah, I remember sost, I used to visit there occasionally at school during 2006, downloading a lot of content to my mp3 player like a memory stick device at the time (it was my only way of getting things off the internet dX).

#30 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:18 AM

View PostMarkeyJester, on 04 January 2017 - 12:01 AM, said:

You can still find Area 51 online if you look on the internet wayback machine, but they are the later years from the 2000's that are archived.

You know, I think I will do just that~

You can also still find Secrets of Sonic Team online, which always reminded me quite a bit of Area 51.

Oh yeah, I remember sost, I used to visit there occasionally at school during 2006, downloading a lot of content to my mp3 player like a memory stick device at the time (it was my only way of getting things off the internet dX).

SoSTH is my own personal proof that I was there in the old days, communicating before we all organized on various message boards. When the page opened, people would email each other back and forth theories and findings. I have the second submitted finding on the site (under the theories section), because I found some placed time item boxes under the boss in Sonic CD, lol.

The way I actually came into the scene was because Gamepro had a question and answer section where people could write the editors. One guy asked a question about missing content in some game, and they explained that occasionally games change between when they covered it and when people came to play it. Under the letter, they had a picture of Hidden Palace Zone with a blurb about the zone being cut. I was floored. I was a massive Sonic fan and had never heard of anything like that. I already had the internet for years at that point, and was active in Compuserve Go Sega, but nobody really discussed this stuff there. So I had to take to the actual web to find others talking about it, and I sort of stumbled into everybody else just when it all was coming together.

It's been really neat to see it evolve so drastically over the years. It definitely felt like the community grew up together. Coming home after high school in the early 2000's and watching Dragon Ball Z while hanging out on IRC and on Sonic Cult and SSRG and SFGHQ was my daily routine for such a formative part of my life. Things are so much more organized now, which is awesome, but the spirit has largely been the same since the beginning. I really like when major events happen and people come out of the wood works that haven't posted in ages.

• 9 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users