Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Opinion of the Mega Drive Sonic Trilogy - Europe vs North America - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum
This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Which Sonic game does either country prefer?

1: Which game do you think is the best? (Keep North American and European votes separate, please and thank you)

1. You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Opinion of the Mega Drive Sonic Trilogy - Europe vs North America Just a little experiment stemming from curiosity.

#31 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:29 PM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL

View PostOverlord, on 07 November 2016 - 03:15 PM, said:

Actually, I voted for Sonic 2; and I played both when they were both new titles back at the respective launch years, so your logic isn't entirely right. =P 3&K is an excellent game and I love it, but 2 I just prefer.

None of that invalidates my logic. I'm claiming the fanbase has different preferences than the general public because the general public like Sonic 2 out of nostalgia whereas we like all the games because they're good games (obviously I'm generalising at every step there) and tend to have favourites based on which ones we enjoy playing most.

Am I the only one who thinks Sonic 2 is the worst of the classics?

#32 User is offline BlackHole 

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:29 PM

• You're going to need MORE than help.
  • Project:Sprites for Cybernetic Outbreak
Nope. I think Sonic 2's too long for it's own good, at least without save files. The Taxman remakes fix that, though.

#33 User is offline Flygon 

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:42 PM

• Dem Melons
  • Project:SMS RPG script
  • Wiki edits:10
To me, coming from Sonic 3 and Knuckles as my first, the other two Mega Drive titles feel comparatively amateurish. Lacking in polish.

Interestingly, the Master System version of Sonic the Hedgehog doesn't give off that same amateurish feel. I don't know why.

#34 User is offline Aquova 

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:39 PM

View PostDigitalDuck, on 07 November 2016 - 08:29 PM, said:

Am I the only one who thinks Sonic 2 is the worst of the classics?

It depends on what aspect of the game. It is the game that added the spindash, Tails, and Super Sonic, which on a list of the top additions to the series, would take spots 1, 2, and 3. You could make a good argument about level design though. It has one or two really good stages, but isn't as good as the others IMO, particularly 3K.

#35 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:07 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204

View PostFlygon, on 07 November 2016 - 09:42 PM, said:

To me, coming from Sonic 3 and Knuckles as my first, the other two Mega Drive titles feel comparatively amateurish. Lacking in polish.

Funnily enough, I've always felt this to some degree about Sonic 1, which was the last of the core 16-bit titles that I got (picked it up in maybe early 1995) - I guess that's down to being used to having Spin Dash and the game being to some degree feet-finding for the franchise as well.

#36 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:50 PM

• Wiki edits:18
Sonic 1 should be experienced for the first time right after beating Castle of Illusion. =P

#37 User is offline Adamis 

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:12 PM

• Gimme waffles!
  • Project:Lammy and "Fafnir"
  • Wiki edits:53

View PostBlackHole, on 07 November 2016 - 09:29 PM, said:

Nope. I think Sonic 2's too long for it's own good, at least without save files. The Taxman remakes fix that, though.

Maybe it's just me, but I had no problem with the game as it was when I got it in 1992 (and I was 10 years old) :/

View PostICEknight, on 08 November 2016 - 02:50 PM, said:

Sonic 1 should be experienced for the first time right after beating Castle of Illusion. =P

I did that ^^ (Well, CoI 8 bits, then Sonic, then CoI 16 bits then Sonic + Quackshot)

#38 User is offline BlackHole 

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:07 PM

• You're going to need MORE than help.
  • Project:Sprites for Cybernetic Outbreak
Instead of starting a new thread, I've changed this one. Now anyone on the European continent and the UK, and anyone on the North American continent can throw in their thoughts on the matter.

#39 User is offline Yash 

Posted 14 November 2016 - 05:19 AM

• CHOCOLATE!
  • Wiki edits:1
My impression has always been that Sonic 2 is the far more popular game among the general public, but Sonic fans tend to prefer Sonic 3 & Knuckles. S3&K just seems to be a bit more obscure (the lock on shenanigans probably contribute to this as well - most people outside the community see Sonic 3 and S&K as separate games).

#40 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:29 AM

• Project:Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition; Sonic Genesis Adventure (Let's see how long this lasts :V)
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostYash, on 14 November 2016 - 05:19 AM, said:

My impression has always been that Sonic 2 is the far more popular game among the general public, but Sonic fans tend to prefer Sonic 3 & Knuckles. S3&K just seems to be a bit more obscure (the lock on shenanigans probably contribute to this as well - most people outside the community see Sonic 3 and S&K as separate games).

This hits the nail on the head really. Probably helps that Sonic 1 and 2 were bundled with Genesis consoles at one point, Sonic 3 never was. And then you're right, throw Sonic & Knuckles lock on nonsense and then you're in for a strange ride.

#41 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 15 November 2016 - 03:55 PM

I don't think the lock on itself made the game less popular. If you think that meant people spent higher % of the time with the S&K cartridge playing Knuckles in Sonic 2 or Blue Sphere, instead of 100% of the time being S&K only, it could be seen the other way, as an advertisement for the game since its longer 'in your face' on top of the console.

Personally I was on a pirate version of S&K for the longest time and didn't know about the lock on until years later. The unlit Super Emeralds in Hidden Palace Zone had a huge 'mysterious' feel and only sparkled imagination. Same with Sonic 3's blocked off paths that were exclusive for Knuckles. I don't think that feeling can be replicated nowadays.

#42 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted 18 November 2016 - 06:37 AM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN
No new opinion here. I'm basically echoing what Yash wrote.

Part of the problem is that the average person back in the day wasn't thinking along the lines of Sonic 3 and Knuckles being one amazing game.
They knew Sonic 2.
They knew Sonic 3.
They knew Sonic & Knuckles.
They knew there was some cool gimmick where "you could like- plug in the games and play as Knuckles in like... sonic 1 or 2 or something?", but that was about it.

Personally, I still think Sonic 3 and Knuckles is the gold standard of Mega Drive Sonic, and 2D Sonic in general. Great levels, great music and a good narrative told through very basic cutscenes. Knuckles having his own unique bosses and level progression was great. I feel like it tops Sonic 2 in too many ways.

That being said, Sonic 2 didn't have the problem of being split into two games. You got one great experience in one cart, and the jump from Sonic 1 was phenomenal. It's easy to see why Sonic 2 became the popular more memorable game. Sonic 3 & Knuckles required a bit more effort to play back in the day and that probably put off the more casual Mega Drive player, especially one who was disappointed with Sonic 3's solo offering.
This post has been edited by Sir_mihael: 18 November 2016 - 06:39 AM

#43 User is offline CosmicEternity 

Posted 24 December 2016 - 05:05 AM

• Project:No
Probably Sonic 2, since it introduced Tails and had better level design than Sonic 1 in my opinion.

#44 User is offline Pexs 

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:32 AM

NA Here.

For me, Sonic 3/K is too vertical. It's usually not about going fast, more about traversing the level and figuring out where to go. It doesn't have enough of what I like about Sonic 2 for me to play through all those levels. Sonic 1 is fast, but it isn't about going fast. There's lots of platforming to break up that speed.

I can go faster in Sonic 2, quicker. And going fast is fun. The exploratory levels in Sonic 2 don't show up until way down the line, so it's easier to pick up and play.

Also, unlike Sonic 1, I don't have to sludge through any of the "bad" levels. I don't like Sonic 1's style of level design, a style that becomes more apparent after GHZ.

Also helps that I played Sonic 2 before the other two, and I never beat Sonic 3 as a kid because of the CNZ Barrel until years down the line in Mega Collection.

Tl;dr: Sonic 1 is disappointing and Sonic 3 is slower, so Sonic 2.

#45 User is online Laura 

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:55 PM

• Brightened Eyes
I honestly thin Sonic 2 and Sonic 3AK are equal. 2 has a faster, more approachable pace, better sprite art, multiplayer and more unique tropes. 3AK has more sophisticated level design, more interesting setpieces, better implementation of characters and, crucially, a save feature.

3AK is my favourite and the one I'd recommend, but I consider 2 more iconic.

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users