Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Opinion of the Mega Drive Sonic Trilogy - Europe vs North America - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum
This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Which Sonic game does either country prefer?

1: Which game do you think is the best? (Keep North American and European votes separate, please and thank you)

1. You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Opinion of the Mega Drive Sonic Trilogy - Europe vs North America Just a little experiment stemming from curiosity.

#16 User is offline Ravenfreak 

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:01 PM

• Sonic 3's sprites are way better than Mania's!
  • Project:Hacking some 8-bit Sonic game
  • Wiki edits:112

View PostDigitalDuck, on 06 November 2016 - 09:53 PM, said:

View PostRavenfreak, on 06 November 2016 - 07:40 PM, said:

I absolutely love S3K much better than Sonic 2. I find Sonic 2 to be quite overrated, like Unleashed.

Unleashed? Overrated?

What?

Unleashed could have been better without that damn werehog. I mean I can see why people praise it since it did come out after '06, but if the werehog was replaced with Knuckles I would have loved it more. I just don't really see the hype for the game myself, it's not a bad game during the day stages but it's meh during the night stages. Likewise with Sonic 2, I can see why more people prefer it over the other Mega Drive titles but I find it overrated as well. (I'm thinking I've mentioned this before a while back. But we're getting off topic now. :P)

#17 User is offline Aquova 

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:57 AM

• Professional nerd in training

View PostRavenfreak, on 06 November 2016 - 10:01 PM, said:

View PostDigitalDuck, on 06 November 2016 - 09:53 PM, said:

View PostRavenfreak, on 06 November 2016 - 07:40 PM, said:

I absolutely love S3K much better than Sonic 2. I find Sonic 2 to be quite overrated, like Unleashed.

Unleashed? Overrated?

What?

Unleashed could have been better without that damn werehog. I mean I can see why people praise it since it did come out after '06, but if the werehog was replaced with Knuckles I would have loved it more. I just don't really see the hype for the game myself, it's not a bad game during the day stages but it's meh during the night stages. Likewise with Sonic 2, I can see why more people prefer it over the other Mega Drive titles but I find it overrated as well. (I'm thinking I've mentioned this before a while back. But we're getting off topic now. :P)

Hype? What hype? Nearly everyone I've ever spoken to has expressed similar feelings towards the game, I wouldn't call Unleashed overrated. It got bad press when it released due to residual backlash over Sonic 06, and it gets bad press today for having the werehog and having clunkier controls than Colors and Generations. I personally like Unleashed quite a lot and consider it underrated!

(That being said, you're right, Sonic 2 is a bit overrated)

#18 User is offline Josh 

Posted 07 November 2016 - 01:19 AM

• TGC Warrior
  • Wiki edits:1
While we can argue about Unleashed and Sonic 2 and whatever else all we like, let's not start throwing around the term "overrated." That's one of my least-favorite ways to describe a video game, because all it really boils down to is, "I like this game significantly less than most other people do, and rather than explain WHY I feel that way, I'm going to use terminology that makes it out like their subjective opinions are wrong."

Sonic 2 isn't overrated, because that term is fairly meaningless, but it IS more well-known than its sequel, and a big part of WHY is because it's more accessible. I know people who've picked up Sonic 3 in recent years and HATED it, because they kept getting lost, or running out of time, or just dying. The challenge and complexity that we all love about it really is a turn-off for people who'd rather just go fast. If I was going to call it overrated, that would be why, but it doesn't mean those people are WRONG. We just like different games for different reasons.

#19 User is offline Sui Eel 

Posted 07 November 2016 - 01:20 AM

• a crab irl

View PostBlackHole, on 06 November 2016 - 08:17 PM, said:

View PostSui Eel, on 06 November 2016 - 07:33 PM, said:

Hilariously enough, this poll lines up with a Stats assignment I currently have, and has all the correct variables.

Do you mind if I use the data for the study?

Go ahead, though you should probably note that the results stem from the dedicated fanbase and not general public opinion, which will vary.

It's good enough for this assignment, but thanks!

#20 User is offline SiddtheKidd 

Posted 07 November 2016 - 01:36 AM

• Streets of Fucking Rage!
  • Project:Project Neo - Deadly Metropolis
USA here, IMHO it's apples to oranges. Both games have their specific merits that make them excellent games, merits that don't take way from the opposite game by not having them. Sonic 2 felt more like a speedrun when you got the hang of the layout, whereas Sonic 3&K felt more complex, had a little more exploring and narrative to it. It's like when people compare Streets of Rage 2 and Streets of Rage 3, they feel like two different games ultimately. That's just my 2 cents.
This post has been edited by SiddtheKidd: 07 November 2016 - 01:36 AM

#21 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:52 AM

Its not really fair to compare S2 and S3K in terms of which is better by themselves. S3K had much more experience (from S2) to work with and more time, plus its 3-4 times bigger than S2 because of advancements in technology.
If you put them side by side, Sonic 1 is ABSOLUTELY retarded. There I said it. Yes it was the first Sonic I played and I was blown away, but now I place it in the bottom part of my Top 10 Sonic games.

Thats like comparing The Terminator 2 with The Terminator. T2 had a dozen times bigger budget and 7 years more advanced CGI effects. T1 was almost an indie film at times, where they had only a skeleton crew and guerrilla style shooting and looking out for cops.

#22 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:23 AM

• Wiki edits:6
Just going to echo what everyone else is saying about it mostly being a fanbase vs general public divide as opposed to regional. S3K was largely underplayed by the general public when compared to S1 and S2, and even to this day it's by far the least exposed. Even CD tends to get more attention. You'll quite often see articles, videos, reviews etc where someone says "Oh yeah, Sonic 2 is my favourite Sonic game. Sonic 3? Never played it. Knuckles is too future for me.". And in addition to that, S2 is a much simpler game. S2 refined refined what S1 did, and S3K expanded upon it (quite literally) with larger and more complex levels. It's a much more daunting game, so it's only natural that it's going to be overshadowed somewhat.

But for what it's worth anyway, I'm a UK-based fan and S3K is by far my favourite. Then S2, and I'm not really sure how to put S1 (and SCD) in there. But I love all of them regardless.
This post has been edited by Blue Blood: 07 November 2016 - 05:29 AM

#23 User is offline GagaMan 

Posted 07 November 2016 - 06:34 AM

Sonic 3 and then Sonic 3 & Knuckles was definitely the one talked about most in my school due to all the discoveries being made in it (Hyper sonic, super emeralds, doomsday etc), at least among my friends, but most kids had sonic 1 and 2 but not 3K generally. If anything Sonic 1 on master system was the sonic game most kids had due to it being built into their master system II's and that console being one of the cheapest to get.

#24 User is offline Okamikurainya 

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:55 AM

• Project:Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
Growing up in the UK, I was pretty much a Sonic nut and loved all the games pretty much equally. That said, S3&K blew my mind. The lock on tech, playing as Knuckles, Super Mecha Sonic, the Zones, Hydro-frickin-city act 2's music. :specialed:

I have played S3&K more than any other game I've ever had, and I'm still playing it today. In fact... I still need to go finish playing through Sonic 3 Complete with Knuckles again (On my laptop this time). ^_^

#25 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:58 PM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9
I voted for Sonic 1 because Sonic CD isn't on the list.

#26 User is offline OcelotBot 

Posted 07 November 2016 - 01:17 PM

• Scooty-Puff Jr sucks!
Yeah, like most have said, Sonic 2 was still quite early in the Genesis life-cycle and it (like Sonic 1) was bundled with the console, so it's no surprise so many more people played it over Sonic 3/S&K, and Sonic 2 is unquestionably a good game.

I love the two player vs mode in Sonic 2 (hoping we get something similar in Mania). I used to play against my sister all the time. She could never out jump me in the special stages :v: I bet loads of fans, especially the more casual fan-base will remember the two-player mode fondly and the iconic fights with Mecha/Silver Sonic & the Death Egg Robot in single-player.

Personally, whilst Sonic 2 is good, I find Sonic 3&K to be superior in every department. I also rate Sonic CD, Sonic 1 (yes I just said that) and Sonic 3 (on it's own) as better games.
This post has been edited by OcelotBot: 07 November 2016 - 01:21 PM

#27 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:15 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204

View PostDigitalDuck, on 06 November 2016 - 03:51 PM, said:

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 06 November 2016 - 03:12 PM, said:

Worth noting though that far far far more people have played Sonic 2 than Sonic 3, what with it being the top pack-in at the height of the console's popularity.

This is by far and away the main reason Sonic 2 is more popular than Sonic 3, to the point that it overrides other factors. Similarly, if you ask the general population what the best Tetris game is, they'll say the Game Boy one, because it came with the Game Boy. They're all wrong, of course. On both accounts.

EDIT: And the reason you're getting different results here is because this is a poll among the fanbase, not the public. We've played them all, and still enjoy them, whereas the public in general have mostly only played Sonic 2, and the few that have played S3K still think Sonic 2 is better because that's the one they played as a kid.

Actually, I voted for Sonic 2; and I played both when they were both new titles back at the respective launch years, so your logic isn't entirely right. =P 3&K is an excellent game and I love it, but 2 I just prefer.

#28 User is offline TheKazeblade 

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:45 PM

• "Our Life is More than a Side-Effect"
2 is a very approachable game with probably the best pick-up-and-play value of the entire series, similar to SA2 which is why I imagine it is also remembered so fondly.

S3&K is overall the better game, but it also doesn't have that same quick flow of S2. That means S3&K has the deeper experience, but one that feels like it requires a much more dedicated play time. That may turn off fans of the more instant gratification style of S2, which, while it still has some nuance, still doesn't have as much as S3&K.

S2 I pop into for a fun speed running session. S3&K I play to enjoy the entire experience. And while I value both types, I value the latter more than the former.
This post has been edited by TheKazeblade: 07 November 2016 - 05:03 PM

#29 User is online Black Squirrel 

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:06 PM

• 'tis the season
  • Project:it's always the real thing
  • Wiki edits:20,569
The other factor for the Sonic 2 effect is launch date - Sonic 2 was released in November 1992, just in time for Christmas, while Sonic 3 was launched in... February 1994.

And there's a phenomenal difference for the sake of three months. Sonic 2 was rumoured as early as January-ish 1992, and from Summer CES (June) onwards the general public were drip-fed information by an all-out Sega marketing machine. Essentially we're talking about five months of hype - it's basically the reason we have Sonic 2 prototypes, and enough magazine material and history to essentially found Sonic Retro. As far as dragged-out Mega Drive stories go, it's only really beaten by the staggered launch of the Mega-CD, but that thing was far less affordable and popular.

Sonic 3, in contrast, wasn't a feature of the 1993 holiday season (this is Sonic CD/Spinball territory), and instead turned up out of the blue (*cough*) in late December, being shoved on shelves just a few weeks later. Why was there never a Simon Wai's Sonic 3 Beta? Because there was literally only one, maybe two publications in the world that printed prototype screenshots of the game (and one of those was the UK's Official Sega Magazine), and no known footage. It got two or three months of attention, as opposed to more than half a year.

Which btw might sound strange in the current climate, but wasn't unusual for the time in a pre-E3 PR-spinning world. Games didn't take that long to make.

Which leads to the other point - Sonic & Knuckles was launched for the holidays. And I wouldn't be at all surprised it sold more copies as a result.

Mind you there's a bazillion other factors, such as Sonic 3 & Knuckles being split into two (i.e. spend twice as much!) and Sonic 2 being more readily available in compilations and the like. S3&K is a bit of a faff.

#30 User is offline JaredAFX 

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:13 PM

• SonicManEXE
  • Project:Acquiring a taste for FREE FORM JAZZ
As someone who's pretty much a baby compared to most of you, whose first experience with the Genesis trilogy was with Mega Collection, I like 3&K better, but it's easier for me to jump into 2. I honestly kinda suck at 2D platformers compared to my skill at 3D ones, but if I'm ever in the mood for Genesis Sonic, if I have the option I'll play 3. However, since there's no iOS version, I end up playing Sonic 2 (mostly the first two zones) a lot because I'm out most of the time and can't pull out an emulator or actual hardware whenever I want.

In a perfect world, though, the same would probably still apply. I enjoy going through 3 as a whole experience, not in little chunks. I'll happily do that with 2, though.

Sonic 1 I honestly don't like that much, or, at least, not as much compared to 2 and 3. I have never 100%-ed Sonic 1, 2 or 3 (I have with CD though, mostly for the XBLA achievement) because I'm a very hurdle-though-the-act kind of person, so Sonic 1's gameplay doesn't do it for me like 2 and 3's gameplay does.

• 4 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users