Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: unused SegaSonic Arcade sprites found! - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

unused SegaSonic Arcade sprites found!

#16 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:01 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostCaniad Bach, on 10 October 2016 - 03:07 PM, said:

So possibly an odd question, but is SegaSonic actually a decent 'game'? It's one of the few Sonic titles I've never bothered with, although I love the art style. My issue with arcade games is often that they're too hard for home play, but being able to press a button at any point to insert a coin strips them of all difficulty. Is the same true of SegaSonic Arcade, or should I get round to checking it out?

It's a non-punishing Sonic version of Marble Madness with a jump button, just so you get the idea.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 10 October 2016 - 04:03 PM

#17 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:09 PM

• Project:Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition; Sonic Genesis Adventure (Let's see how long this lasts :V)
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostICEknight, on 10 October 2016 - 04:01 PM, said:

So possibly an odd question, but is SegaSonic actually a decent 'game'? It's one of the few Sonic titles I've never bothered with, although I love the art style. My issue with arcade games is often that they're too hard for home play, but being able to press a button at any point to insert a coin strips them of all difficulty. Is the same true of SegaSonic Arcade, or should I get round to checking it out?

It's a non-punishing Sonic version of Marble Madness with a jump button, just so you get the idea.

If only the controls could actually emulate well, then it might be kinda fun to play. But unless you have a trackball of some kind you're out of luck, and will likely only get wonky analog controls at best.

I do love the sprites in this game though. I'd love to see them thrown into Sonic 3D Blast or something (and Mighty and Ray could replace Knuckles and Tails)

#18 User is offline Atendega 

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:26 PM

• Incapable of capability
  • Project:Collecting insults from Lobotomy <3

View PostDark Sonic, on 10 October 2016 - 05:09 PM, said:

If only the controls could actually emulate well, then it might be kinda fun to play. But unless you have a trackball of some kind you're out of luck, and will likely only get wonky analog controls at best.

I do love the sprites in this game though. I'd love to see them thrown into Sonic 3D Blast or something (and Mighty and Ray could replace Knuckles and Tails)
It plays pretty well with a traditional controller, if you tweak the analog sensitivity right. I honestly love this game.

#19 User is offline rata 

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:55 PM

• Project:Trying to be useful somehow.
I've managed to control it using netbook's touchpad, but I have to admit that using analog sticks is way easier. Also, in this shitty netbook sound lags like hell.

#20 User is offline Sploit 

Posted 11 October 2016 - 03:43 PM

• Wiki edits:5

It's awesome that stuff like this is still being found. I must say they're good SatAM Doctor Robotonic sprites, but I find the original Eggman design much more pleasing. Maybe it's because I didn't watch SatAM as a kid but I find the original character design has much more room for expression since it isn't fully concentrating on being "evil".

Honestly, I think it is an awesome game. In terms of it's difficulty, it definitely has the arcade style difficulty down to a tee. You will burn through a few credits. The game is really simple but very effective; it is a frantic run, jump and dodge type deal. Quite fast paced and feels faster because you are constantly under threat from environmental hazards. There aren't really any enemies in the traditional sense. The animation/art is absolutely stunning, really makes fantastic use of the 32bit hardware and its cool scaling ability. The characters are brimming with personality and have lots of quirky animations. The game is really short, maybe 15-20mins long, but it is a wonderful game regardless. Great music too and the characters are voiced, and coupled with their designs and animations, they each feel unique, even though they play the same.

Anyway, this is really cool that there are alternate Robotnik sprites within the game. I never realised that they had thought about localising this game at any point.

#21 User is offline Xilla 

Posted 11 October 2016 - 03:49 PM

• No promotion for you, laddy.
It actually surprises me they were going with the SatAM Robotnik design - the norm back then was for Robotnik to be localised into his AoStH look afterall.

#22 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:10 PM

• Project:Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition; Sonic Genesis Adventure (Let's see how long this lasts :V)
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostXilla, on 11 October 2016 - 03:49 PM, said:

It actually surprises me they were going with the SatAM Robotnik design - the norm back then was for Robotnik to be localised into his AoStH look afterall.

Seeing as how the game released in 1993, the norm actually wasn't set yet. In fact the US comic that came out around that time also used the SatAM look, while the other games continued to use the black hole eye Robotnik design.

#23 User is offline Ragey 

Posted 16 October 2016 - 06:01 AM

I updated the page with a few graphics exclusive to the prototype; it's nothing earth-shattering, though these Badniks are a surprise.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
The game doesn't really have traditional enemies, but I imagine the first two are what Eggman is controlling with his remote, and the fish was planned for Wild Water Way.

#24 User is offline VolgShan 

Posted 03 November 2016 - 11:05 PM

• Project:SFGHQ
woah nice has any even seen a arcade of segasonic recently. Rest in peace Ray.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users