Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Forces - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 53 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Forces (Project Sonic 2017)

#31 User is offline S0LV0 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:55 AM

• Sonic Generations Helpdesk
  • Project:Abusing SMPS

View PostAyu Tsukimiya, on 23 July 2016 - 12:49 AM, said:

View PostTurbohog, on 23 July 2016 - 12:44 AM, said:

I don't see them taking the story to be as "dark" as Shadow or 06, but I wouldn't mind a story that is about as "serious" as Sonic Adventure.

Adventure 1 was the closest we got to a good balance between comedic and serious scenes. It'd be great if we could get that here.

I'd argue Unleashed fits that bill, personally. You had the "dark" setup with the world being split apart, but then the environments were lighthearted flanderizations of real life locations and the cutscenes were reasonably goofy without being in-your-face.

It is called Sonic World Adventure for a reason I suppose...

#32 User is offline Dario FF 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:58 AM

• Tech Support Hotline
  • Project:SonicGLvl
I have a feeling this involves some sort of time travel shenanigans. I really don't see how they'd build an interesting level roster out of some post-apocalyptic Sonic world, and I don't see how Eggman could've ran rampant for so long without something like that being involved.

Hopefully we don't have to wait too long to get some more actual details of what this is gonna be.

Being realistic from a development standpoint I find the concept way too thin to get varied level tropes out of it and I don't believe it's the only theme in the game.
This post has been edited by Dario FF: 23 July 2016 - 01:03 AM

#33 User is offline WAC 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 01:01 AM

• KITTIES!
  • Project:Kitty Pixel Art
  • Wiki edits:2
I'm personally excited about this game. Some people are annoyed that the storyline looks darker than some of the recent games, but if it's pulled off well, I don't have a problem with that. Some of the recent games had pretty underwhelming storylines. It'd prefer a plot that had a lot of effort put into it.

#34 User is offline Blaxer 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 01:05 AM

• Sup?
  • Project:Sonic Origins [Mini Hack]
For some reason, This is giving me the feels of sonic underground all over. trailer looks interesting for the most part.

#35 User is offline Narstyle 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 01:13 AM

• Project:Android and VR Development
Lol. The only thing missing from the trailer was a princess to match another serious CG trailer.

Shame about the classic sections, I'm against the grain and enjoyed the modern / boost to win more so than the classic sections on generations.

Oh well. Better than another Boom title. Maybe they'll sweep that franchise under the bed like the storybook series.

It'll be pretty good though. Not as good as Mania, but until we get the gimmick, we're in full "original" Sonic Cycle times once again. Rather than skipping to the part where the fans go "oh gosh stop".

#36 User is offline JcFerggy 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 01:16 AM

• Do you want to taco 'bout it?
  • Project:GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
  • Wiki edits:57
One more thing I hope this game has is the Classic styled level after level mode like the Egg Bus from Colors. I just want a way to play level after level like the classics.

#37 User is offline .Luke 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 01:27 AM

• Drinks too much tea
  • Project:Editing Three Manuscripts; Shantae: Rising Tempest; Learning Music Theory

View PostDario FF, on 23 July 2016 - 12:58 AM, said:

I have a feeling this involves some sort of time travel shenanigans. I really don't see how they'd build an interesting level roster out of some post-apocalyptic Sonic world, and I don't see how Eggman could've ran rampant for so long without something like that being involved.

Hopefully we don't have to wait too long to get some more actual details of what this is gonna be.

Being realistic from a development standpoint I find the concept way too thin to get varied level tropes out of it and I don't believe it's the only theme in the game.

View PostS0LV0, on 23 July 2016 - 12:55 AM, said:

View PostAyu Tsukimiya, on 23 July 2016 - 12:49 AM, said:

View PostTurbohog, on 23 July 2016 - 12:44 AM, said:

I don't see them taking the story to be as "dark" as Shadow or 06, but I wouldn't mind a story that is about as "serious" as Sonic Adventure.

Adventure 1 was the closest we got to a good balance between comedic and serious scenes. It'd be great if we could get that here.

I'd argue Unleashed fits that bill, personally. You had the "dark" setup with the world being split apart, but then the environments were lighthearted flanderizations of real life locations and the cutscenes were reasonably goofy without being in-your-face.

It is called Sonic World Adventure for a reason I suppose...

Seconding all of this. There isn't enough information to go on right now, and judging by past games, this wouldn't be the only theme in the game. And like S0LV0 said, even if it has its darkness, that wouldn't stop 90% of the game from being lighthearted.

While I'd agree that at first glance, this implies a dark tone, I'm holding back those thoughts until we see screenshots and videos of the thing. I liked what they had going in Unleashed, and this could be the same deal; they had a planet-tearing monster with none of the apocalyptic baggage '06 had.

#38 User is offline Hinchy 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 01:40 AM

• Up And Down And All Around
  • Project:Sonic Melponterations
  • Wiki edits:32

View PostJosh, on 23 July 2016 - 12:16 AM, said:

Knowing we were getting Mania, another Generations-style game was literally exactly what I wanted and I was super-hyped through the whole thing and I'm kind of weirded out by the cynicism in this thread.

I can understand a little bit of the cynicism about the tone, I guess? But I don't think it can possibly be TOO over the top dark with that Classic Sonic design in it. Look at that smile.

Posted Image

It's adorable.

Gameplay-wise, though? I think it's fantastic news. Sega's been stuck in a "reinventing Sonic" loop for a long time now and Unleashed->Generations looked like it was finally the promising start of a new foundation for the series. It's not perfect by any means but, like, you know, they can build on it! They can refine it and make it better. Lost World and Boom have had a lot of people uneasy about the future direction of the franchise. I think Boom was never an indicator due to its farmed-out licensed-cartoon-cash-in nature, but Lost World maybe? I've been holding out hope that based on the internal team structure of Sonic Team that that was an offshoot too and that there was still a chance that they would continue to refine the Unleashederations gameplay style and LO AND BEHOLD! I can't overstate how excited this makes me, so yeah, cynicism seems odd, I dunno.

I mean

not Sonic Mania level excited or anything

but you know

excited.
This post has been edited by Hinchy: 23 July 2016 - 01:40 AM

#39 User is offline Supakitsune 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 01:40 AM

• Sonic's is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (werehog Howl)
  • Project:3DS themes, mostly
  • Wiki edits:7
hmm.

hmmmmmm.

honestly? as long as it doesn't play anything like Lost World, it should be pretty much fine
I recently went back and replayed Colors, and man, that game somehow manages to hold up 6 years down the line

I just hope they tune up the modern-style 2D gameplay somewhat, it's always been kinda too floaty and imprecise (half of aquarium park comes to mind)
or maybe modern and classic will tag out for 2D segments? that'd be a good way of handling that I think, and it'd probably deal with the persistent 3D-in-2D glitches

I wouldn't say I'm *hyped* exactly, but I'm interested at least! which is more than I can say for Sonic stuff since, uh...Runners came out? and before that since Generations
congration Sonic Team, you done it
This post has been edited by Supakitsune: 23 July 2016 - 01:45 AM

#40 User is offline Zephyr 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:29 AM

There's literally no reason to be upset about this. We've had half a decade of ultra light hearted mainline games. The "dark" tone is somewhat of a breath of fresh air (and not even an overwhelmingly powerful one either: someone already pointed out classic Sonic being there).

Sonic Mania's a thing, so we already have our perfect classic Sonic. This one being slightly sub par is more than acceptable. Much more acceptable than it was back in Generations, and even then it was mostly fine.

Plus, this is the one 3D gameplay style that's been consistently solid. They've made all the right choices this year, with both Mania and this game. I'm fucking excited for Sonic for the first time in almost a decade!

#41 User is offline Jimmy Hedgehog 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:34 AM

• Project:RAoSTH (Sprite Comic), Sawnik (Still need a better name)
Honestly, I'm happy with what we're seeing. Will be interesting to see what comes out of it, plus I also like that we have a Sonic game confirmed for NX before a Mario title :v:

#42 User is offline CaveQuest 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:49 AM

• Project:Sonic Nightmare Simulator Remake, Sonic Dream Eater and other stuff.
What I clearly don't get is why Classic Sonic is doing here when he's about to get his own game. I am not generally pissed but I think what Generations did was a step in the right direction. And these 2 games are definitly a step forward aswell.

#43 User is offline Mecha Sally 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 03:01 AM

View Postdarylbaxter, on 23 July 2016 - 12:48 AM, said:

'Join the resistance' just reminds me of SATAM.

SATAM Robotnik with the voice if possible?

It made me think of that too. I even made a FREEDOM FIGHTERS CONFIRMED joke in the other topic. Doubt that will happen but if it does, hey, I'd be cool with it.

I did have another idea though in relation to that tagline: It invites players to join something, features two different Sonics, implying a choice of characters to play as, and Iizuka said this game would be a "new experience". I don't know why but my brain is conjuring up the idea of an online multiplayer type of game. Like you have lots of people playing as Sonic or any other character in the franchise or even (ah shit) a custom-made character, and the players could all work together/against each other fighting badniks and bosses and such. It's kinda out there, sure, but it would definitely be a new experience as far as Sonic games go.

#44 User is offline Liraxus 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 03:17 AM

• Enchilada
  • Project:Nothing, really.
A-hah. Wow. For the first time, I really have no idea what to say about a game. Oh well, here goes!

I might as well point out that someone else did indeed point out that the area Sonic was in appeared to be City Escape zone, also, look at the giant robots, they're literally just grimmer looking versions of Death Egg robots, just with one glowing red eye. So either Eggman has completely lost it, or this was just a proof of concept video.

Then there's Classic Sonic, I really don't get why they have Classic Blue here, they're clashing a character known for his cute and light-hearted game style with something dark and serious on the same tier as Shadow the Hedgehog(Save for that extra Edge that made the game laughable instead of just boring.)

Either way, the only thing I have in mind is that "Join the Resistence" thing might imply other potential characters, maybe Sonic Boom's iteration will join in, or we might see other playable characters in this "Resistance".

Like I said, I'm way more lost than anything, I don't know what the heck to take from this trailer other than "Ayy guys look Classic Sonic's back, and we're giving the series a darker twist!"
Maybe this is my preference for simpler, lighthearted stories in the series, particularly Sonic Heroes basic but entertaining plot involve Metal Sonic, and Sonic Colors for its basic story, but enjoyable and rewarding writing. I guess we'll have to wait until we can see more footage.

#45 User is offline BlackHole 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 03:37 AM

• You're going to need MORE than help.
  • Project:Sprites for Cybernetic Outbreak
Y'know, we don't know the context behind the darker tone. For all we know, it's a Sonic CD-type deal, where Sonic's moving around the Past, Present and Future, with this as the Bad Future.

As for the complaints, last I checked everyone was saying how they wanted a Generations 2. Now you've got it, suddenly that's a bad thing and the franchise is ruined again. God forbid you guys ever had control of the series, you'd run it into the ground fast than Sonic can boost.

And do remember that this is a sequel. Sonic 4 Episode II was a sequel, and get this: they tweaked the physics a bit to get it closer to the Mega Drive games. Not perfect, but they tried. So do you not think they'll do the same and tweak Classic Sonic's gameplay a tad to try and get a similar result?

• 53 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users