Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Forces - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 79 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Forces

#16 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:13 AM

• Wiki edits:6

View PostTheKazeblade, on 23 July 2016 - 12:05 AM, said:

We don't NEED Classic Sonic in this. He will play superiorly in Sonic Mania. I wanted a pure, boost formula game, which granted, looks like we're getting, but seriously, a year of hinting and hype for A PRE-RENDERED TRAILER AND NOT EVEN A NAME.

No gameplay, no name, ugh. I watched that whole wreck of a live stream. Sonic Mania looks AMAZING, Sonic in Lego Dimensions looks like a blast, but I'm so freaking angry that after all of this hype, THIS is all we get to see of Project 2017. I'm legitimately salty right now.

I can totally deal with a teaser trailer and no name for now and until after Mania is out. Mania is something I expected to never happen. Like, I'd thought about it and came to the conclusion that no, it won't ever happen. But it IS happening and that's just incredible. But Project 2017 started by showing me exactly what I wanted from a new Sonic game - it looks thematically interesting, like it has a story and a real setting. Recent games have sorely lacked that. The "join the resistance" tagline is especially exciting for a Sonic game. The only issue I have, and it's a pretty big one sure, is Classic Sonic. I can't understand why he's here again. Generations was great. Yep. It was also a special celebration that should have only ever been a one off. If they want to continue using Classic Sonic, that's dandy. I love that side of the franchise. There's no need to do another Modern/Classic collab' though. I don't want to see the two Sonic's treated like separate characters. They're one and the same, and it was played on for an anniversary celebration just a few years ago.

Oh well. Gonna see how this turns out, because I've still got faith that this game is going to be good is Generations is anything to go by. I just wish it didn't bank on Classic for seemingly no good reason.

#17 User is online Josh 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:16 AM

• TGC Warrior
  • Wiki edits:1
Knowing we were getting Mania, another Generations-style game was literally exactly what I wanted and I was super-hyped through the whole thing and I'm kind of weirded out by the cynicism in this thread.
This post has been edited by Josh: 23 July 2016 - 12:17 AM

#18 User is offline JansenM 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:19 AM

• Project:Generations mods
I think one of the problems with this is, with such a drastic shift in tone yet again, Sonic is losing any identity he may have left - even in this trailer itself! It starts off edgy and he faces what's before him with a serious expression, then within 30 seconds he's doing a stupid goofy thumbs up and Classic is grinning.
I agree that he doesn't really need to be here, it feels like they're throwing existing stuff together for no reason like they did with the wisps in Lost World, when both these things worked fine in their original respective games.
This post has been edited by JansenM: 23 July 2016 - 12:20 AM

#19 User is offline S0LV0 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:24 AM

• Sonic Generations Helpdesk
  • Project:Abusing SMPS

View PostJosh, on 23 July 2016 - 12:16 AM, said:

Knowing we were getting Mania, another Generations-style game was literally exactly what I wanted and I was super-hyped through the whole thing and I'm kind of weirded out by the cynicism in this thread.

Basically this. I really like Mania and look forward to it, but I wouldn't have wanted it to be the big 25th Anniversary thing. Sure, that's just my tastes, but I dunno.

Plus I don't really get the "Classic Sonic will control better in Mania so he shouldn't be in this" argument. I don't think Classic in Generations was ever supposed to be 100% Genesis-accurate (if it was they did a shitty job, I'll concede there) but... I like his physics in Generations. I don't really look at it like a failed attempt at recreating the original physics, I just consider it a different setup.

Besides, no decision made in Mania would've had an effect on the project Sonic Team were working on, so I don't think anyone deserves slamming for that.
This post has been edited by S0LV0: 29 July 2016 - 06:38 AM

#20 User is offline KingOfBunnies 

Why aren't you guys excited for this? This is basically Generations 2. When they showed the trailer, I thought it looked cool, and then Classic showed up and that got me more hyped. This will be two good Sonic games for 2017. It shows that Sonic is getting back on his feet.

#21 User is offline ICEknight 

• Wiki edits:18
I love Classic Sonic as much as any and then some more, but I just hope the whole game isn't "dark and edgy" as the trailer suggests.

There was one level like that in Generations and even then it was treated as a bit of a joke during Classic's walkthrough, so that he wouldn't feel out of place.

Isn't there something kinda off about his 3D model, by the way?

#22 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:30 AM

• Probably part of some problem
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8

View PostKingOfBunnies, on 23 July 2016 - 12:24 AM, said:

Why aren't you guys excited for this? This is basically Generations 2. When they showed the trailer, I thought it looked cool, and then Classic showed up and that got me more hyped. This will be two good Sonic games for 2017. It shows that Sonic is getting back on his feet.

Because A: we're already getting Classic Sonic in Sonic Mania, so he kinda feels unnecessary here and B: this looks like a return to Sonic being dark and serious.
This post has been edited by TimmiT: 23 July 2016 - 12:30 AM

#23 User is offline Candescence 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:30 AM

• Project:Construct stuff

View PostKingOfBunnies, on 23 July 2016 - 12:24 AM, said:

Generations was decent, but only just, and Generations took the boost gameplay as far as it could possibly go. Generations 2 would just be more of the same.

Plus the generic dark epic nonsense is back.
This post has been edited by Candescence: 23 July 2016 - 12:30 AM

#24 User is offline TheJart 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:33 AM

At first I honestly did think it was generations 2. And I loved seeing Classic Sonic again. This is more then likely be a game VERY similar to Generations, and I'm cool with it. Generations is the best modern Sonic game, and with Lost world and Boom being..... less then what fans wanted, it only makes sense for them to go to what worked and expanded on it. I did think the full reveal was going to be SA1 remade, but this is probably the better move.

#25 User is offline Ashura96 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:34 AM

• WRONG PLAY BAD BOYZ KICK YOUR ASS
  • Wiki edits:6
Seems like they've taken a page out of SatAM with the darkness tone.

Wonder how it came to get so dark in the game story...

#26 User is online Turbohog 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:37 AM

• Wiki edits:22

View PostS0LV0, on 23 July 2016 - 12:24 AM, said:

Plus I don't really get the "Classic Sonic will control better in Mania so he shouldn't be in this" argument. I don't think Classic in Generations was ever supposed to be 100% Genesis-accurate (if it was they did a shitty job, I'll concede there) but... I like his physics in Generations. I don't really look at it like a failed attempt at recreating the original physics, I just consider it a different setup.

For me (and I'm guessing many others) I just strongly prefer the Genesis physics and the Genesis level design. Sure, classic Sonic in generations was fun and the levels were okay, but I never got anywhere near the amount of enjoyment from the classic Sonic levels in generations as I did in the classics.

Anyway, overall I am happy. It's a safe step, but I think they can make a solid game out of it.

#27 User is online JcFerggy 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:38 AM

• Do you want to taco 'bout it?
  • Project:GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
  • Wiki edits:57
I fully understand why the game direction looks like how it is currently, and I want to call it right now this is how the story will play out.

Right now when people are asked about their best sonic memories, a bunch of people must be saying the old SatAM cartoon. Like look at those giant ass robots destroying a city, gives me the same vibes. But Sonic looks pissed. Having an attitude doesn't always mean you are cool with whatever. And this is rooftop run! A place he has fond memories of. And the trailer text, talking about joining the Resistance, and the world needing a Hero. Total Freedom Fighter, but I doubt they would go Sally far, that wouldnt make sense :/

I think Sega is getting burned on the Nostalgia of Sonic. The newer fans that would be really nostalgic currently would have played the Adventure games. It's more of an American audience's look, and not the fun simple Jap Sonic we have been getting since Lost World. The Boom cartoon showed them the audience wants an attitude. I hope they don't go full Shadow or 06, it seems the game might take a darker direction.

Maybe the Time Eater is loose in time, and he starts DBZ Xenoverse'ing old Sonic levels and bosses causing mass destruction. If will be up to Classic, Modern, and sadly but likely Boom to fix familiar but modified classic favorite levels. Who knows, maybe we will get an even distribution of tropes this time, I'd really like an Ice Cap S3xSA remix.

I could be totally off here, but this is how I see it going, and if it is done well, it will be amazing. Playing a game with the same tone as the SatAM feel, with the Generations styled gameplay, and new Gen graphics and lighting.

Icing on the cake would be Steam Workshop integration on PC.

#28 User is online Turbohog 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:44 AM

• Wiki edits:22
I swear if they put boom Sonic in this game, I will be so mad.

I don't see them taking the story to be as "dark" as Shadow or 06, but I wouldn't mind a story that is about as "serious" as Sonic Adventure.

#29 User is offline darylbaxter 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:48 AM

• Writer
'Join the resistance' just reminds me of SATAM.

SATAM Robotnik with the voice if possible?

#30 User is offline Ayu Tsukimiya 

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:49 AM

• UGUU~

View PostTurbohog, on 23 July 2016 - 12:44 AM, said:

I don't see them taking the story to be as "dark" as Shadow or 06, but I wouldn't mind a story that is about as "serious" as Sonic Adventure.

Adventure 1 was the closest we got to a good balance between comedic and serious scenes. It'd be great if we could get that here.

• 79 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users