Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 273 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) Developed by Christian Whitehead, Headcannon and PagodaWest

#3721 User is offline Chaud 

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:22 PM

You know, I really like the half-pipe. For me, it was the best special stage in the series... But it's not like I'm saying that this is a great achievement, because really, the bar is very low. :v:

#3722 User is offline The Taxman 

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:24 PM

• Project:Retro Engine & Related Projects
  • Wiki edits:15
The info in the vid is incorrect, none of the press builds have the special stage.

#3723 User is offline Josh 

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:29 PM

• TGC Warrior
  • Wiki edits:1
Yeah, there's no reason to think, based on what we've seen, that what that guy was describing was anything more than a bonus stage. Although I'm with you guys, the only way I'd be happy with a half-pipe special stage is if it was more in line with Sonic 3D Blast on the Saturn. Which, given Mania's Saturn-inspired aesthetics, might actually work nicely.

Side note, I ordered a Saturn USB pad that got here the other day, both to replace my broken one and to play Sonic Mania on. Can't freakin' wait!

EDIT: Snipe'd by Taxman, haha. No surprise, there, so assuming that guy is remembering what he saw correctly, we can probably infer that both Blue Spheres and the half-pipe are bonus stages.

To respond to Chaud, for me the special stage preference order might look like this: 3D Blast Saturn > Sonic CD > Sonic 3 > Sonic 2 > 3D Blast Genesis > Sonic 1.
This post has been edited by Josh: 20 March 2017 - 09:31 PM

#3724 User is offline LukyHRE 

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:14 PM

• The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar
  • Project:Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
  • Wiki edits:2

View PostThe Taxman, on 20 March 2017 - 09:24 PM, said:

The info in the vid is incorrect, none of the press builds have the special stage.

But... do they have bonus stages? Or the like? :ssh:/>

#3725 User is offline ApocalypticSalad 

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:38 PM

I think it's likely, given what we've seen so far, that the special stages from Sonic 1, 2, CD and 3&K have been modified to return in a non-special stage context. It would make sense given this is a celebration of those classic games, while also being a new classic Sonic game (hence a new special stage). The question is, how will they be modified and what will the purpose be? The bonus stages in S3K were very short and simple, designed for collecting shields, rings and lives. I could see the half-pipe being adapted for that sort of thing, but blue sphere...? I'm not so sure.

#3726 User is offline Stealth 

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:47 PM

• Project:Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
  • Wiki edits:19
The only thing made by us that anyone outside of the Dev team or SEGA has ever had the chance to play or even see that has the Sonic 2 Special Stage in it is the Sonic 2 Remaster. None of the public demo showings have ever had any Special or Bonus Stages available

Taking in this guy's full commentary, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he hasn't even actually played Mania at all (at least sober)...

#3727 User is offline ApocalypticSalad 

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:16 PM

View PostThe Taxman, on 20 March 2017 - 09:24 PM, said:

View PostStealth, on 20 March 2017 - 10:47 PM, said:

The only thing made by us that anyone outside of the Dev team or SEGA has ever had the chance to play or even see that has the Sonic 2 Special Stage in it is the Sonic 2 Remaster. None of the public demo showings have ever had any Special or Bonus Stages available

Taking in this guy's full commentary, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he hasn't even actually played Mania at all (at least sober)...

Since you're here, can you guys push for SEGA to announce the number of (full) zones that Mania's going to have?
Some of us want to finish calibrating our hype meter, and then get out of here before any more acts are shown.

#3728 User is offline Friend of Sonic 

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:22 PM

• ^ My only lasting impact to the Sonic community
They are probably more concerned with finishing the game instead of telling their publisher how to market the game. :thumbsup:

#3729 User is offline ApocalypticSalad 

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:31 AM

View PostFriend of Sonic, on 20 March 2017 - 11:22 PM, said:

They are probably more concerned with finishing the game instead of telling their publisher how to market the game.

Well, now I just feel like an asshole...

View PostChaud, on 18 March 2017 - 08:34 PM, said:

Posted Image

This new background seems to be halfway between the two available in Sonic 3 Complete in terms of colour. Coincidence, or yet another reference to pre-release content?

#3730 User is offline XCubed 

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:44 AM

• Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center
  • Wiki edits:5

View PostStealth, on 20 March 2017 - 10:47 PM, said:

I figured he didn't know what he was talking about, considering he couldn't remember Sonic 3D Blast was also on the Saturn!

#3731 User is offline Deef 

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:55 AM

I'm thinking the classic special stages are now bonus stages concept has a hefty chance of becoming real.

On one hand that's cool; it fits. S3&K had 3 bonus stages. S&K revisited an earlier style of special stage. Mania is doing the revisit thing.

On the other hand, I am simply really bored of them, even if they're new layouts. If they mixed them up severely that feeling could change, but.. would they mix them up severely? I'd need smooth rotation and curves in Sonic 1's'; rolling in Sonic 2's, and I don't know... tron-style moving obstacles in Sonic 3's. If they're just the same old stages I'll be a fair bit disappointed. It will be the one (three) part(s) of Mania that I just won't want to bother playing.

#3732 User is offline Neo 

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:29 AM

• Clackerjack
  • Wiki edits:1

View PostXCubed, on 21 March 2017 - 05:44 AM, said:

I figured he didn't know what he was talking about, considering he couldn't remember Sonic 3D Blast was also on the Saturn!

Contary to popular belief most people are not well-versed in early 1990s Sonic the Hedgehog spinoff titles or their platforms

#3733 User is offline S0LV0 

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:44 AM

• Sonic Generations Helpdesk
  • Project:Abusing SMPS

View PostChaud, on 20 March 2017 - 09:22 PM, said:

You know, I really like the half-pipe. For me, it was the best special stage in the series... But it's not like I'm saying that this is a great achievement, because really, the bar is very low. :v:/>/>/>

Even if I agreed with that, I am like 1000% fed up with the half-pipe by now; that's basically 100% for every time they've rehashed it. I really really want to see something new for a special stage in Mania that isn't like Lost World 3DS

Spoiler

#3734 User is offline Flygon 

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:14 AM

• Dem Melons
  • Project:SMS RPG script
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostS0LV0, on 21 March 2017 - 06:44 AM, said:

Spoiler

I actually agree with you.

#3735 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:36 AM

• Project:Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition; Sonic Genesis Adventure (Let's see how long this lasts :V)
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostFlygon, on 21 March 2017 - 07:14 AM, said:

View PostS0LV0, on 21 March 2017 - 06:44 AM, said:

Spoiler

I actually agree with you.

Sonic 3D Blast Saturn would like to have a word with you :colbert:

• 273 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

8 User(s) are reading this topic
2 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users