Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) - WARNING, SPOILERS - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 554 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) - WARNING, SPOILERS Developed by Christian Whitehead, Headcannon and PagodaWest

#31 User is offline Cooljerk 

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:48 PM

• NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev
  • Wiki edits:9

View PostFriend of Sonic, on 22 July 2016 - 09:44 PM, said:

Please everyone buy this. Please. how is this real

Not buying this should net you a ban

#32 User is offline Phoebius 

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:48 PM

• Coucou
  • Project:iOS Game
You magnificent bastards

#33 User is offline Wolf Rogers 

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:49 PM

I REALLY hope this also leads to Sonic 1, 2 and 3&K Taxman versions being released on Consoles/PC too as it would be a super cool run up to this game.

#34 User is offline redhotsonic 

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:49 PM

• Also known as RHS
  • Project:Sonic Bash!
  • Wiki edits:24
This explains why Megamix got cancelled. If it's for Sonic Mania instead, I'll take that any day.

When I first saw this, I had to watch it a second time, because the stream with its terrible sound and quality, I wasn't aware this was the announcement of the game!

It looks superb, and very smooth. I wonder how many levels there are? If a 512kb cartridge can fit at least 6 levels, I expect this game to have at least 6000 times more! =P

Joking aside, congratulations to Taxman and Stealth. Because they are behind this game, I am pretty sure that this won't be a disappointment on release, and will be the closest to the original physics. I cannot wait....

... I can't believe the amount of moaners there are on YouTube and Facebook right now...

#35 User is offline Neowl 

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:50 PM

• feels good man
  • Project:SAIL HATAN
Spoiler

#36 User is offline Ashram 

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:51 PM

• Wiki edits:13
Wait, is Headcannon Stealth?

#37 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:52 PM

• Wiki edits:6
I am in utter disbelief. For one, this isn't even Sonic Team's next main game. This is a side project, a separate 2D title made by an incredibly talented team. SEGA relented, swallowed their pride and finally made the game that people have wanted for years and not the game SEGA thinks we want. It's by the fans, for the fans. Absolutely incredible. Let's just rename this Sonic 4, and pretend the other one never existed.

I can't begin to express my thanks and congratulations to Christian Whitehead and everyone else on board quite enough. A job well done, guys.

And like I said, this isn't even Sonic Team's big new title. I'm certain they've got something else cooking.

#38 User is offline magishun 

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:53 PM

A bunch of screenshots, a few remarks. Sorry that they're all out of order; imgur and my laptop don't play nice.

http://imgur.com/a/5oenM
This post has been edited by magishun: 22 July 2016 - 09:54 PM

#39 User is online Ravenfreak 

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:53 PM

• Incineroar is the best
  • Project:Hacking some 8-bit Sonic game
  • Wiki edits:112
Hnnngggggg I'm freaking out right now! This is what Sonic 4 should have been! And shit not only is The Taxman involved Stealth is too! :O I'll gladly take this over Megamix, I mean don't get me wrong Megamix is still fucking amazing but this?! This is what I was hoping to see for the next Sonic game, and you bet I'll be pre-ordering this!

#40 User is offline sonicblur 

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:56 PM

• Wiki edits:6

View PostAshram, on 22 July 2016 - 09:51 PM, said:

Yes.

#41 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:00 PM

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8
Yo I just noticed.

The island on the title screen is Sonic's face.

#42 User is offline Ashram 

• Wiki edits:13

View Postsonicblur, on 22 July 2016 - 09:56 PM, said:

View PostAshram, on 22 July 2016 - 09:51 PM, said:

Yes.

Just wanted to make sure. //forums.sonicretro.org/public/style_emoticons/default/v.png

#43 User is offline Chaud 

Looks amazing, I will buy it for sure, it's beautiful... Yep, that's great. :thumbsup:

But is it bad if I, deep down, wanted the art to be "HD"? :ohdear:

#44 User is offline BlobVanDam 

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:01 PM

How on Earth did they finally convince Sega to let them make a new 2D game, and the 25th anniversary game on top of that? Looks beautiful, guys!
My only comment is the spin dash ball changes direction, and flipping the lighting looks odd. But I love the modernized classic art style with that smooth animation.

It's sad that so many people seem to not be as thrilled about this as us older fans though. It's been a long time since Sonic has had a good 2D game, that a lot of people have only been raised on the 3D series of games. This is why we can't have nice things...
This post has been edited by BlobVanDam: 22 July 2016 - 10:02 PM

#45 User is offline Pengi 

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:02 PM

Nice! Looks like Sonic 4 done right - the kind of Sonic game we could have gotten on 32X or Saturn.

The Green Hill Zone remix looks a bit fan-gamey, but the new level looks great. TV Studio is a level theme that hasn't been done before! I hope the rest of the new levels are this creative (and I'd like for at least 6 Zones to be all-new).

I wonder if the remixed levels will be part of the normal game progression, or if they'll be unlockable or a separate mode altogether.

The drop dash looks like a simple and unobtrusive addition to to Sonic's move set. I wouldn't want to see anything else added though, except for Sonic 3 style shield abilities.

View PostClutch, on 22 July 2016 - 09:36 PM, said:

Hahaha, love that Daytona USA reference.

What's the Daytona USA reference?

• 554 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum