Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic X-treme STI Engines, Saturn, PC, Win95-PC+NV1, +V37 Level Editor - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 14 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic X-treme STI Engines, Saturn, PC, Win95-PC+NV1, +V37 Level Editor All Playable levels now included! +Updated V037 Engine Oct 23, 201

#196 User is offline Spinksy 

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:47 AM

Awesome release!

Now downloading at last.

Looking forward to trying this out :-)

#197 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 27 October 2015 - 10:49 AM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects

View Postsynchronizer, on 26 October 2015 - 11:07 PM, said:

Which levels in the package would you say are the closest to being something like levels?
Some of the levels in RSRC19 folder are that way, check them all out!

Off topic, but you got me to think about something interesting.
I believe that most of the assets made for the early levels would never have been used in a final release build of xtreme.
and I believe that we are getting a chance to see many more of these potential unused assets than what we ever could have seen from any other Sonic games, sure we get a sprite or 2 that never made it into the Genesis games, but think about the rest of the sprites and tile sets that never made it into an actual build that were deleted.

View Postnesboy43, on 26 October 2015 - 11:09 PM, said:

Just wanted to give my thanks to Andrew and Jollyroger for another fantastic release. I really appreciate everything that has been done to make these Xtreme assets playable on modern hardware as well as better than they originally were.
I also said this on Sentient in response to a similar post.

You guys are so Welcome! I'll say that on Jollyroger's behalf as well.
I'm probably the most thankful one here! Imagine, to be able get my dirty little mits on this, it was a dream come true,!
I love that we got ahold of the engines and are able to play them after so long, they are indeed a real treasure! Especially after waiting for 19 years to play the levels that I obsessively drooled over from the magazine pages.
But for me, the levels and assets are the Biggest treasure, because being able to use them to build my own levels based on how I had first perceived X-treme, they can help bring back the childhood memories of daydreaming and longing for what could have been.

Anyways we now we have 2 .def file level packs! This one, and the other one that was leaked behind backs few years back. ( I wont say by who)
But Yeah we're still just half way there guys! I cant wait to see what the future brings in relation to other Sonic X-treme content.
Project condor (and boss engines), the pool mini game, and even the very early 32x Sonic mars assets. ( oh oh, almost forgot, some of the Mars assets are also inside that leak by the way, please by all means post images of them up here if any of you guys have the time, there are some background images)
am I forgetting any versions of xtreme that weren't leaked yet besides the engine for V42 with paths?
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 27 October 2015 - 11:06 AM

#198 User is offline Energy 

Posted 27 October 2015 - 11:43 AM

Finally got time to play with this new build. So strange to play - after waiting so long it doesn't feel real.

Gameplay wise it beats Sonic 06 but not much else. Most the levels I've tried are odd to the extreme and you'll find limited enjoyment in the playing. The experience of seeing it working is what's best.

I still don't get the rotate mechanic, was this going to be something that happened when you touched certain pads or similar? A way to do a loop the loop?

I wonder if the later builds had better controls within?

Either way, thank you once again to JR, et al. Andrew75 are you allowed to give an idea of what if any future releases will contain/do? Will there be a version with the fish eye?

If I get a spare hour I might have to sit down with the level editor and create a few levels just for the fun of it.

#199 User is offline Ctoan 

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:46 PM

Amazing, absolutely amazing. You guys are incredible. Will there be a real saturn version of this release soon that you can play on real hardware?

#200 User is offline Spinksy 

Posted 28 October 2015 - 06:43 AM

Was playing around with this last night for around an hour - amazing to be able to play these.

Thank you to ALL involved with this coming to light and being released.

In no way a complaint but it does seem very twitchy and as people have stated it can be really hard to control sonic enough to be able to jump on certain blocks etc.

I still haven't tried every level but amazing work guys

#201 User is offline GeneHF 

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:25 AM

• SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be.
  • Project:Complete Global Conquest
  • Wiki edits:381
At the least, this gives further validation to all the previews from E3 1996 saying the game didn't play particularly well and people hoped it was just rough.

I really don't think X-treme would have been the positive impact Saturn Sonic needed. I think it would have made things worse, actually.

#202 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:30 AM

• Technical Artist

View PostCtoan, on 27 October 2015 - 12:46 PM, said:

Amazing, absolutely amazing. You guys are incredible. Will there be a real saturn version of this release soon that you can play on real hardware?

There will be a future Sega Saturn release, ( the re-tweak of the Saturn V40 engine) but Jollyroger will concentrate on support for the newer build levels in that release.
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 28 October 2015 - 10:31 AM

#203 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 29 October 2015 - 01:39 AM

• Technical Artist
Sandman from Senntient requested I post this here.

There's an image in this package called "SNCRUNL3.PCX" that does not appear to be in the standard .PCX format (link for the file). This file cannot be opened by any modern image viewers/editors and might be an in-house SEGA image format or a .PCX format that is no longer supported. Here is my attempt so far at cracking the image file format.

The file's header:
http://I.imgur.com/bbrGL69.png

The magic number "ABCD" does not match the documentation for any file format that I could find. If you compare this file to a different .PCX file (here is an example -- SPRITE02.PCX) you'll see that the file formats do not match whatsoever.

The next two bytes are a short in little-endian, producing the value 84. This is definitely meant to reflect the size of the header, as these exact 84 bytes (highlighted above) are also the last 84 bytes of the file (see fourth image).

The third set of four bytes (00 00 16 0F), treated as an integer in little-endian, produces the value 5647. I'm not sure if this is a coincidence, but jumping to byte 5647 reveals that it is next to the strange file break that occurs at byte 5728.

http://I.imgur.com/fhcjQgB.png

If you add this value to the header size (84), it gets you to byte 5731 -- just 3 bytes away from the break's starting point. It's an odd-valued starting place, which is strange since standard programming conventions would likely have it padded to be an even value. However, if you check the size of the file (which is also an odd number -- 9063) and the starting point of the header at the end of the file (shown in the second image below) you'll see that they start and end on the same strange fourth byte.

http://I.imgur.com/rIpVFYf.png

http://I.imgur.com/OCsSpFm.png

If you treat the break at address 5731 as another header, it appears (after what looks like a 16 byte padding) to have the header size listed in one byte -- 128.

http://I.imgur.com/cwQUSEx.png

http://I.imgur.com/acWYDRb.png

Since the file is very clearly not in a raw bitmap format, this suggests that the file is a palette-based image, with both palette and image data, or a bit plane image. The other information in these headers remains a mystery to me.

Some further clues I've found in the files: in the header at the beginning of the file, there is a plaintext string of "PCX 8BIM" (see first image), and at the header in the middle of the file, there appears to be a string "DDUgxp" (see sixth image). The latter could be a random bit pattern, but the "PCX 8BIM" is clearly intentional. Some googling reveals that it may be related to either an older version of Photoshop or PC Paintbrush, the latter being made by the company that invented the .PCX format (ZSoft).

Finally, I think some interest should be paid to the name of the folder this file was in, "SONCANIM" -- Sonic animation, and the file name, "SNCRUNL3" -- Sonic run left 3. It is possible that the file could contain information for several frames of an animation. There were animation files used by SEGA that were developed in the program DeluxePaint Animation, but the format of this file does not match their formats. Regardless, here is an example .ANM file (64BALA02.ANM) and documentation of the file format (ANIMFILE.TXT) if you want to look for any correlation.

UPDATE: Figured out the "0CB0" part of the first header. It gives the size from the second header to the start of the repeated header at the end (3248 bytes).

If anybody is able to crack the image format, please post your findings!

Andrew, do you think you could post this on SonicRetro?

This post has been edited by Andrew75: 29 October 2015 - 01:41 AM

#204 User is offline Energy 

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:38 AM

Any chance of a re-up of the level editor?

-- EDIT: Never mind, found it in a folder on my computer but just so you know the links are down.
This post has been edited by Energy: 29 October 2015 - 06:41 AM

#205 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:29 AM

• Technical Artist

View PostEnergy, on 29 October 2015 - 06:38 AM, said:

Any chance of a re-up of the level editor?

-- EDIT: Never mind, found it in a folder on my computer but just so you know the links are down.

I'll let borman know thanks.

#206 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:01 PM

• Technical Artist
Ok so yeah, some links have been going down for various releases. if I fix the links, would Retro also be able to host the builds on the server or something? its hard to find time to keep re-uploading all the time.
(Added a new download link for the level editor) didn't fix the 2 broken links as they are related to Borman uploading them)
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 05 March 2017 - 05:17 PM

• 14 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users