Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic X-treme STI Engines, Saturn, PC, Win95-PC+NV1, +V37 Level Editor - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 14 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic X-treme STI Engines, Saturn, PC, Win95-PC+NV1, +V37 Level Editor All Playable levels now included! +Updated V037 Engine Oct 23, 201

#16 User is offline Aberdorf 

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:56 PM

Oh man, this is amazing. Thank you JollyRoger, from a guy who wished to play Sonic X-Treme for almost two decades.

Just one question: On the promo video, they showed this same stage with the fish eyes effects. Is there another build with this same stage but with that effect on? Or was that a POV Saturn build?

#17 User is offline Jollyroger 

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:05 PM

Later versions of the STI engine had the fisheye effect.

We have a very rough (in the middle of a large code refactoring) version of the engine that has the fisheye effect (v40), which I am also in the process of porting.
The issues with it are much more serious than the version we just released, v40 is much more "broken" in the state we have it.
The fisheye effect also requires sorting the polygons in depth order, which neither v37 or v40 do, and the format of the level files is substantially different (simpler, fewer features), so most of the data will have to change for it to work.

Stay tuned, it will take a lot of work.

Jolly

#18 User is offline Blades 

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:09 PM

Stupendous.

Can't wait to see the other levels with the music and everything else you've found. I'm still not sure if this is actually happening.

#19 User is offline Jollyroger 

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:14 PM

The archives we recovered contained no music, but over time we will release multiple fixes to the engine (graphics emulation), more levels, ports of the newer version of the engine we found (v40), a variant of the v40 running on Saturn, and the Saturn engine POV had been working on.

Eventually we may improve the engine to reproduce some of the actual gameplay, but this will happen only after the code we already have is brought to a state where it works properly and is well understood.

It will take quite a long time, but we hope to release everything, besides the source code itself.

#20 User is offline LordOfSquad 

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:42 PM

• let's don't forget about it
  • Project:Comic drawing, game designing, working, dying.
  • Wiki edits:1
Incredible, I've been having a great day and this is the cherry on the sundae. Thanks so much everyone involved for your hard work bringing this to us lucky folks, it's beyond appreciated. Gonna take this for a spin tomorrow at work.

#21 User is offline Glaber 

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:05 PM

• Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA
  • Project:Gmod Ragdolls and Props, Pony maps
  • Wiki edits:10
If I recall, there was a release of X-Treme's music at one point.

If need be I can zip up what I have downloaded and send it your way.

#22 User is offline .Luke 

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:18 PM

• Project:Freedom Planet fan art; Learning Music Theory
Pretty sure the OST is already on Chris Senn's forums somewhere. They were great as-is, although I doubt they were in a finished state. I think Falk might've mentioned it before.

View PostJollyroger, on 23 February 2015 - 09:34 PM, said:

Thanks for the comments :-)

As for the performance, the engine as-is makes rendering with a modern card quite challenging (slow), and I am using some very old OpenGL features that may not work properly on Intel GPUs, so the driver may well be resorting to use software rendering, which is extremely slow.

I will work on fixing inevitable bugs and having greater compatibility with a larger variety of GPUs, right now the priority was to get SOMETHING out there... I just need some more time to tweak the rendering and it will be plenty fast enough on Intel GPUs too, one way or another.

Jolly

Your work here is much appreciated! I didn't think we would see it in a functional, running state this soon, let alone running on a modern Windows OS. That's leaps and bounds above my expectations, Jolly.

I had a feeling optimizations weren't done yet. It makes sense you're trying to get functionality over compatibility at the moment, and the use of quads in the game probably doesn't make things any easier.

#23 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:20 PM

• Sonic Hacking Contest Lead Organiser
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest, Other Stuff
  • Wiki edits:2,193
Any reason why Google Chrome is blocking this? Downloaded it from MEGA.

#24 User is offline null1024 

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:26 PM

This is actually way past cool. Completely unplayable, but way cool.
although it also gets like 20fps on my Macbook Air's integrated video, the trailer did look like it was smoother than that

View PostSpanner, on 23 February 2015 - 11:20 PM, said:

Any reason why Google Chrome is blocking this? Downloaded it from MEGA.

Chrome blocks any EXE file (even in zips) downloaded from MEGA, period. It'll do that for quite a few filesharing sites, actually.
It'll even block MEGA's official sync client.

solution for uploaders: put it in a 7z, Chrome doesn't look inside those
solution for downloaders: it'll still leave the .crdownload file, rename it to xtreme.zip or whatever and extract

#25 User is offline Covarr 

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:32 PM

• Sentient Cash Register
If Chrome blocks a download, go into the downloads window (Ctrl+J), and you can allow it from there. I dunno why you can't do it from the download bar.

#26 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:32 PM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects

View PostGlaber, on 23 February 2015 - 11:05 PM, said:

If I recall, there was a release of X-Treme's music at one point.

If need be I can zip up what I have downloaded and send it your way.

Yeah I have the same music, If Jolly wants to integrate some music than I can just shoot it over real quick.

View Postnull1024, on 23 February 2015 - 11:26 PM, said:

This is actually way past cool. Completely unplayable, but way cool.
although it also gets like 20fps on my Macbook Air's integrated video, the trailer did look like it was smoother than that

Open the .def file in your text editor and tweak some parameters and see if you can get it to more playable for yourself. Unless you mean because of the frame rate.
If that's the case than your out of luck unless you use a better GFX card or until Jolly gets some better compatibility going.
Have fun !
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 23 February 2015 - 11:35 PM

#27 User is offline Ayu Tsukimiya 

Posted 23 February 2015 - 11:43 PM

• UGUU~
God, playing this feels unreal. Not just because it's Xtreme, but also because it's such an early build. It's extremely (hue) rare to find a release of a game in it's infancy.

Days like this make me happy to be a Sonic fan.

#28 User is online 360 

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:08 AM

• Daft Punk Overdrive
  • Project:Sonic Neon
Getting a smooth ~60fps frame rate over here. Then again I have a pretty powerful laptop. AMD A6-4400M Dual Core ~2.7Ghz with a Radeon HD 7520G. Nothing spectacular or anything but most modern games including some graphically intensive first person shooters run like a dream. My advice would be to make sure you're running this on hardware that has a dedicated GPU. My Radeon GPU is handling this just fine. Zero stutter or slow down.

As for this release it's beyond amazing. Never thought I'd see the day when a build of Sonic Xtreme would be running on my computer. Looking forward to what's next.
This post has been edited by 360: 24 February 2015 - 12:09 AM

#29 User is offline winterhell 

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:45 AM

Its interesting you mention your problem with the Intel GPU is the speed. I'd expect it to not render certain features before anything else.
Here on GeForce GTX 650 I have 1-2% GPU load and I'm pretty sure most of it is due to the actual overlay I'm using.
A Riva TNT 2 should be fast enough (and have enough memory), given that the CPU transforms the vertices, or alternatively GeForce 3 if the shaders are written against that old version. (Edit) Oh wait, there isn't even a fisheye.

Anyway, cheers on the work.
This post has been edited by winterhell: 24 February 2015 - 01:49 AM

#30 User is offline HEDGESMFG 

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:46 AM

No problems with performance here.

Of course, I'm running an OCed i7-4770k, which is about the 2nd or 3rd most powerful haswell chip on the market right now, but y'know. ;)

I can't say I'm surprised to see this game getting shelved, even if this IS an early build (and a port of it, for that matter), but at least I'm able to 'play it' gosh durn it.

I look forward to the coming lengthy saga of improved stages and more completed releases. It's amazing that even after all these decades, we're 'still' uncovering all these crazy finds and secrets within the fandom.

• 14 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users