Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Boom TV Show Megathread - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 57 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Boom TV Show Megathread Getcha CG cartoon chat here!

#31 User is offline Azu 

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:34 PM

• I must be stupid.
I almost died when Eggman slapped Sonic lol.

#32 User is offline Spinksy 

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:01 PM

gotta admit after watching the second episode I wasn't so impressed although it is still ok.

Just don't like the whole humour of eggman - he should kinda be the horrible bad guy in my opinion......

#33 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:04 PM

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8

View PostSpinksy, on 08 November 2014 - 08:01 PM, said:

gotta admit after watching the second episode I wasn't so impressed although it is still ok.

Just don't like the whole humour of eggman - he should kinda be the horrible bad guy in my opinion......

I don't think that would fit in with the kind of tone this show is going for. It's supposed to be light hearted fun, not dark and serious. I mean, it's not like you could replace Robotnik in Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog with Robotnik from SatAM and have it stay the same show.

#34 User is offline John the Dreamer 

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:08 PM

• Artist, acrobat, philanthropist, and oddball
  • Project:"Mobius: Empire"; a Sonic manga
I actually had fairly high expectations, and they were exceeded. Nowadays, "family-oriented" shows always end up being strictly "kids' shows" with themes and content that only the very young could enjoy....but I found all of this extremely engaging and hilarious. I will be following this show. Wow

I do hope that it won't be cancelled, because I'll be needing something to hang on to after The Legend of Korra ends.
This post has been edited by John the Dreamer: 08 November 2014 - 08:09 PM

#35 User is offline trakker 

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:34 PM

• The guy that's been warned!
  • Project:http://comicfury.com/comicprofile.php?url=Lunate-Epsilon
I can't figure out if I like it or my expectations were so low that I have been tricked into being impressed.

I know this show follows after the games, but it's very weird having Sticks just *poof* into existence in episode 2.

I kinda like Sticks, reminds me of Daffy Duck lol

#36 User is offline TheKazeblade 

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:47 PM

• "Our Life is More than a Side-Effect"
I honestly think that Sticks is the shows biggest weakpoint. You have four main protagonists all established through several years, then just randomly throw a fifth into the mix, and she just doesn't... fit. The paranoia is interesting, but really most everything of her personality could have been re-appropriated into existing characters to give them a little extra dimension, and get rid of a really really annoying voice in the process.

#37 User is offline iGamr 

Posted 08 November 2014 - 09:12 PM

View PostSpinksy, on 08 November 2014 - 08:01 PM, said:

Nah, I think Eggman works best when he has a nice element of comedy while still being reasonably threatening (like in Sonic Unleashed). Still, the first two episodes having elements of him cooperating with the heroes as a facade? As others and myself said earlier... save that stuff for later after you've developed the relationship between Eggman and Sonic. Even Mike Pollock wasn't able to save it completely, and that's saying something.

View PostTheKazeblade, on 08 November 2014 - 08:47 PM, said:

I honestly think that Sticks is the shows biggest weakpoint. You have four main protagonists all established through several years, then just randomly throw a fifth into the mix, and she just doesn't... fit. The paranoia is interesting, but really most everything of her personality could have been re-appropriated into existing characters to give them a little extra dimension, and get rid of a really really annoying voice in the process.

If anything, she's the last person who should be that paranoid. Her shtick (sorry) seems to be having grown up in the wilderness (if her apparel and the tie-in comic are anything to go by), so I can see her being paranoid about technology SPECIFICALLY, but having her yell at her own shadow is just stupid.

#38 User is offline Kiddo Cabbusses 

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:08 PM

• Wiki edits:100
For all the people saying "it's too early for these kind of episode ideas to be done", I think it's important to note that it's HIGHLY likely that the episodes are not being aired by the network in any particular order (either production or chronological). So it could very well be CN to blame for that, rather than the writing or production staff. I do agree that it's kinda a bad idea to introduce a "reboot" by episodes which the dynamics would only practically make sense to the established fanbase anyway (I liked these myself, but it's obviously because I was viewing these characters in regard to their dynamics in pre-Boom products) , but I would assume that was not the intent of the writers, and it's likely down the line a latter episode will be one that makes more sense for a "introductory" episode.
This post has been edited by Kiddo Cabbusses: 08 November 2014 - 11:11 PM

#39 User is offline GeneHF 

Posted 08 November 2014 - 11:16 PM

• SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be.
  • Project:Complete Global Conquest
  • Wiki edits:381
The introductory episode is the Wii U game.

Oops.

#40 User is offline Molotok 

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:05 AM

• Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Having watched both episodes twice now, I have to say that I liked the second episode more. However, as I have a DVR now I decided to conduct a little experiment: I recorded the premiere episodes of Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures in order to compare it. I know, it's comparing an hour-long two-parter pilot to two 15-minute episodes, but I figured what the hell. If nothing else, the animation was more fluid in Pac-Man's pilot. Though, on the other hand, the quality dipped in that area once you got to the first season proper after that. ... It's not really fair to say that they properly introduced characters when you have all that time in which to do it.

Maybe I should have compared this to one of Cartoon Network's other 15-minute shows? Adventure Time, Regular Show, Steven Universe, Clarence, The Amazing World of Gumball, and even Teen Titans Go! all had premiere episodes that essentially set the tone for what the viewers should expect from them. They started establishing their respective universes (well, all right, Teen Titans Go! didn't that as much) and the formulas by which they would operate (this was/is especially true for Regular Show). I can't put my finger on it, but Sonic Boom's premiere did feel off in comparison.

Perhaps it's partially expectations for some sort of pilot special? Maybe it's also, as has been speculated, that the episodes are being aired out of order. There hasn't been a proper introduction of Sticks to the audience... outside of the game. In the other series I've listed, there has been some sort of first proper appearance of new characters, with or without some even just half-assed explanations, from Thomas and C.J. in later seasons of Regular Show, Flame Princess in Adventure Time, to Steven Universe, Gumball, and Clarence's Simpsons-esque cast of characters in their respective fictional cities. You could excuse Orbot and Cubot, in a way, as they have been in previous games, but this is Sticks' first. Oh well...

Oh, and another parallel with Pac-Man: both premieres had the word "kill" somewhere in the dialogue. It was uttered by President Spheros in Pac-Man and Sticks in Sonic Boom.
This post has been edited by Molotok: 09 November 2014 - 12:10 AM

#41 User is offline Trunks 

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:15 AM

• AGAIN TRY
  • Project:The Bancast, Lone Stars, LOVE
  • Wiki edits:30
Is there anywhere to watch this (legitimately) online? I don't have cable.

#42 User is offline Molotok 

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:36 AM

• Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha

View PostJason, on 09 November 2014 - 12:18 AM, said:

View PostMr Lange, on 08 November 2014 - 09:20 PM, said:

No terrain or angle based physics, no variable momentum managing, a very static (and slow) running speed, completely linear platforming, and gameplay is driven mostly by cheap gimmicks.
Because, after all, no one can tell the difference anymore.
Sometimes I wonder if anyone even remembers what a Sonic game was.

In before every major game journalist outlet describes Shattered Crystal as "Classic 2D Sonic Action".

As for the cartoon, I couldn't watch more than five minutes of either episode. It feels like watching that old Donkey Kong Country show, but slightly better writing. I must be too old for this shit now.

And when there was singing, it was incidental and mildly humorous. You know, compared to DK doing a poor man's Cab Calloway dance while he crooned about the Crystal Coconut or a fatass Kremling reuniting with his pirate brother. I mean, I'm usually fine with singing in shows (I still have a few songs from season 1 of SpongeBob knocking about in my head every once in a while), but holy hell was that too much.
This post has been edited by Molotok: 09 November 2014 - 12:37 AM

#43 User is offline Glaber 

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:38 AM

• Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA
  • Project:Gmod Ragdolls and Props, Pony maps
  • Wiki edits:10
Oh guys, you arn't going to believe this, but Cartoon network use a fan render this time for Sonic Boom on their App.
http://fav.me/d85rpb8 (the discovery picture)
The Render used on an icon: Posted Image

And the actual render used: Posted Image
http://fav.me/d7l6809

#44 User is offline Chimera 

Posted 09 November 2014 - 03:15 AM

• I'm not a furry.
  • Project:TOO MANY. BUT ONE LESS.
  • Wiki edits:5
That's almost as great as Sonia in Sonic All Stars Racing.

The sonic fandom, the only one to produce such an exhorbant amount of art that it sometimes obfuscates the official material.

And at some points looks like THE official material :v

#45 User is offline Josh 

Posted 09 November 2014 - 03:51 AM

• TGC Warrior
  • Wiki edits:1
Somebody on Reddit posted both episodes in HD. I'll have to watch when I wake up, so hopefully they'll still be up!

• 57 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users