Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog movie - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 21 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog movie (Originally: Sony presents - Sonic the Smurfs)

#31 User is offline SomeSortOfRobot 

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

• Project:http://legendoflucy.com
You guys can speculate all you want, but I'm not believing anything until I see a trailer.

#32 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN

View PostSomeSortOfRobot, on 10 December 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

You guys can speculate all you want, but I'm not believing anything until I see a trailer.

To be honest. I don't even think it'll even go as far as getting a trailer. Maybe I'm just being sceptical though. I can never tell whether Sonic's hot or not these days.

Still, there's no harm in wishfully thinking about what we'd like to see/not see in a theoretical Sonic movie though.

#33 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

• Project:Posting a lot (I have a lot of time at work)
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostSir_mihael, on 10 December 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

View PostSomeSortOfRobot, on 10 December 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

To be honest. I don't even think it'll even go as far as getting a trailer. Maybe I'm just being sceptical though. I can never tell whether Sonic's hot or not these days.

Still, there's no harm in wishfully thinking about what we'd like to see/not see in a theoretical Sonic movie though.

Hot or not, I mean they made a Smurfs movie. They were last relevant before Sonic even existed.

#34 User is offline TheKazeblade 

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

• "Our Life is More than a Side-Effect"
I don't really know how marketing films works. Is it usual for a major studio to buy the movie rights of a popular IP and register a domain name for a project that hasn't been green-lit... Or at the very least not in some state of development?

I honestly don't think they would register unless there are, at some level or another, gears turning.
This post has been edited by TheKazeblade: 10 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

#35 User is offline Commando Beta 

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:47 AM

When was the last time a movie based off a video game was any good?

#36 User is offline PsychoSk8r 

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:10 AM

• HighKnights
  • Project:30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
  • Wiki edits:19
Most people here are wondering who's making it, if it'll be any good etc.
I'm personally wondering more about the plot. Classic Sonic, or Modern Sonic? Death Egg Saga? Something completely new? At this point in time, the possibilities are endless (no pun intended :v: ).

#37 User is offline Jayextee 

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:05 AM

• Comic Mischief
  • Project:I DONE MAKED GAMES.
  • Wiki edits:27

View PostCommando Beta, on 11 December 2013 - 05:47 AM, said:

Mortal Kombat and Prince of Persia.

The former, so-bad-it-was-good kinda good. The latter, a surprisingly faithful-yet-fresh adaptation whose sole glaring fault was the whitewashing of the cast. Are we counting anime? Because the original Street Fighter II OVA was so spectacularly animated all around, even if the plot was lacking -- a side-effect of the adaptation.

#38 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:55 AM

• Project:Posting a lot (I have a lot of time at work)

View PostPsychoSk8r, on 11 December 2013 - 06:10 AM, said:

Most people here are wondering who's making it, if it'll be any good etc.
I'm personally wondering more about the plot. Classic Sonic, or Modern Sonic? Death Egg Saga? Something completely new? At this point in time, the possibilities are endless (no pun intended :v:/> ).

Modern without a doubt. Sega does not like using Classic Sonic outside of marketing.

#39 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:46 AM

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8

Does it count if the movie is based on video games in general? If so:
Posted Image

Otherwise, I don't know. :v:

#40 User is offline Captain L 

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:59 PM

• The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog
  • Project:Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief

Posted Image

And that was also a collaboration between the original company and Sony Pictures.

#41 User is offline Commando Beta 

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:06 PM

View PostTimmiT, on 11 December 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

Does it count if the movie is based on video games in general? If so:
Posted Image

Otherwise, I don't know. :v:/>

I wouldn't say that counts as it's not based off a specific video game franchise.

View PostCaptain L, on 11 December 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

Posted Image

And that was also a collaboration between the original company and Sony Pictures.

Given that I can't see that image, I'll say that this post refers to Resident Evil: Damnation and if it's anything like the other the other six, then it's either mediocre at best or poor. The general consensus is that any film media based off video games (directly) turn out poor. I have yet to see this chain broken.

#42 User is offline Shadow Hog 

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:44 PM

• "I'm a superdog!"
I'll echo Jayextee on Prince of Persia. It wasn't anything Oscar-worthy, but I really, genuinely enjoy that movie.

That said, I didn't really play the Sands of Time game, although I'm pretty sure it was nothing like the film. The film still worked rather well in spite of that, I thought.

#43 User is offline Arique 

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:56 AM

• How do I Sonic?
Necrobump.
Columbia Pictures just nabbed the rights to the movie.

It's recently been confirmed that a movie adaptation of SONIC THE HEDGEHOG is in development at Columbia Pictures, with the studio going for a dark, edgy version skewed towards older audiences! NOT ONLY this, but the studio plans to make it a mix of live-action and animation, allowing the much loved character to really meld with reality. For those of us who played the classic Sega video game as kids (or if you're still playing it right now), this could be an adventure ride for the ages. I mean, who doesn't want to see a bad ass version of Sonic?!

Original Films and SEGA are onboard to finance, with Neal Moritz and Toby Ascher producing. Samuel Dickerman, Hannah Minghella, and Foster Driver are overseeing the project as executives at Columbia.

The only thing to do now is find a writer for the project, and an awesome shortlist has already been put together with some real heavy hitters:

Brad Bird (“Incredibles, “”Wall-E,” “Brave,” “Toy Story 2,” “Up”)
Wernick & Reese (“Deadpool,” “Monsters Inc,” “Zombieland,” “GI Joe Retaliation”)
David Berenbaum (“The Spiderwick Chronicles,” “Elf”)
Phil Johnston (“Wreck it Ralph” and “Nebraska”)

Sonic has a long history, as it's been adapted for the small screen numerous times in the past – once as an animated movie (1996) and once as an animated television series (1993). This project currently in development, however, will bring an entirely new edge to the story, revealing the darker side of the blue hedgehog. It's a smart move by Columbia, as many fans of the original game are now into their late 20′s to early 30′s, and would need a stronger draw to get them into the theater. It also allows relatively new fans to join in – those who only know Sonic from the new Nintendo Wii versions or their Android/iPhone devices. Someone at Columbia is either a huge fan of the hedgehog themselves, or they just have a really good sense of the current market. Either way we are not complaining, as the movie could be a really big hit if development continues in this direction.

Everybody here at the Tracking-Board is anxiously awaiting its arrival to the big screen and we'll keep you posted as more details emerge!

Don't know if this is fake or not, but... Yeah. Sonic's getting the 2edgy4me treatment. Prepare for disappointment.
But a Sonic movie written by Brad Bird? I'd watch the shit out of that.

#44 User is offline Pyrosaur 

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:26 AM

• Lolzerz.
There isn't even a source mentioned in that article. This is definitely a rumor at best.

Also, a dark/edgy Sonic isn't what we've been seeing recently. It doesn't sound right.

#45 User is online Covarr 

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:36 AM

• Sentient Cash Register
  • Wiki edits:1
It has to be fake. The timing doesn't make sense at all. If we were gonna get a Sonic movie at this point, they'd try to tie it into Sonic Boom.

• 21 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users