Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Buyatari's Sonic Art Pics - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 5 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Buyatari's Sonic Art Pics

#16 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:29 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204

View PostBuyatari, on 30 April 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

View PostOverlord, on 30 April 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

I do wish ASSembler wouldn't plaster their URL all over unique images. Watermarking sucks.

Assembler didn't do that.

I did that.

Years ago on Atariage someone swiped my posted images without asking and sold white hooded sweatshirts with the images on eBay. The sweatshirt auctions were discovered by the same person who sold me the artwork. The artist made the assumption that I was behind these eBay sales and that I was using his images to sell merchandise without his permission. It was a horrible situation and he was not happy with me about it.

Watermark protection can always be circumvented but I'm not going to make it too easy for these guys.

I doubt anyone's gonna make a t-shirt of a proto Heroes box, though. =P

If you feel that way there's nothing really I can do to force you, but I'd echo Iceknight's request to please release these without a watermark at some point down the line.

#17 User is offline Buyatari 

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

View PostOverlord, on 02 May 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

I doubt anyone's gonna make a t-shirt of a proto Heroes box, though. =P

If you feel that way there's nothing really I can do to force you, but I'd echo Iceknight's request to please release these without a watermark at some point down the line.

I'll just stick to posting pictures of items that have already been published and no one will have to get upset over this.

Here is a page from the Sonic the Hedgehog Official Stylebook & Character Manual showcasing several licensed products.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 User is online ICEknight 

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

• Wiki edits:18
Hm... I think all the stuff Buyatari is posting deserves its own centralized topic, separate from the "merchandise" and "other knowledge" ones.

#19 User is offline Buyatari 

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:27 PM

I've never photographed these before so this is something new for you guys. These 4 large paintings (10inX30in) were used for the backgrounds on the MB Sonic the Hedgehog board game.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 User is offline Buyatari 

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

Here are some more paintings used in the production of the MB board game and the Sega Genesis Wacky Worlds cover art.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wacky Worlds

Posted Image

#21 User is offline doc eggfan 

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:45 PM

• bona fide games journalist
  • Project:GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
  • Wiki edits:2

Years ago on Atariage someone swiped my posted images without asking and sold white hooded sweatshirts with the images on eBay. The sweatshirt auctions were discovered by the same person who sold me the artwork. The artist made the assumption that I was behind these eBay sales and that I was using his images to sell merchandise without his permission. It was a horrible situation and he was not happy with me about it.

Sorry to harp on about it, but I don't quite understand how the original artist could be upset about "his" images being used without permission. I don't know the specifics, but it's likely that the ownership of the image belongs to the copyright holder/game company (in these cases, Sonic belongs to Sega). The artist doesn't get to "own" anything, and has surrendered his rights in regards to profits from bootleg merchandise of "their" images when they don't "own" them. In fact, selling the sketches and original art is probably just as copyright infringey as the bootlegged merchandise.

Awesome images by the way.
This post has been edited by doc eggfan: 09 May 2013 - 09:46 PM

#22 User is offline Kail 

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:05 AM

• depression queen
  • Wiki edits:6

View Postdoc eggfan, on 09 May 2013 - 09:45 PM, said:

Sorry to harp on about it, but I don't quite understand how the original artist could be upset about "his" images being used without permission. I don't know the specifics, but it's likely that the ownership of the image belongs to the copyright holder/game company (in these cases, Sonic belongs to Sega). The artist doesn't get to "own" anything, and has surrendered his rights in regards to profits from bootleg merchandise of "their" images when they don't "own" them. In fact, selling the sketches and original art is probably just as copyright infringey as the bootlegged merchandise.

It's not so much the idea that the artist is pissed that his personal property was stolen, it's the idea that he sold this artwork to the dude and he assumed the dude turned around to make a quick buck off it without offering to cut some of the profits with the artist. Imagine you're a an artist on Deviant Art and you find out your Sonic the Hedgehog fan art is being sold on poorly made t-shirts, yeah you don't own the rights to Sonic but still you put time and effort into that drawing and someone else is making cash off it for nothing.

View PostAesculapius Piranha, on 30 April 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

View PostRika Chou, on 30 April 2013 - 09:29 PM, said:

Hey, we're lucky enough he's sharing these. We would likely never have seen them otherwise.

We still haven't seen them. We've seen them with a big black ugly and distracting text pasted on top of it.

Also, who is this 'we?" If you feel lucky to see that vandalized image, good for you. Personally I wouldn't have given it a thought if he wasn't bragging about how he ruined artwork for everyone just to spite people who make bootleg shirts. My mind is blown.

My mind is blown at how entitled you feel you are to see this artwork. Buyatari didn't have to post these pictures at all, seriously I thought internet douchebaggery went out of style in 2003. And this is coming from the dude who had sex on a sonic bed and wrote a kotaku article about it for christ's sake.

#23 User is offline Vangar 

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:54 AM

View PostKail, on 23 May 2013 - 12:05 AM, said:

View Postdoc eggfan, on 09 May 2013 - 09:45 PM, said:

It's not so much the idea that the artist is pissed that his personal property was stolen, it's the idea that he sold this artwork to the dude and he assumed the dude turned around to make a quick buck off it without offering to cut some of the profits with the artist. Imagine you're a an artist on Deviant Art and you find out your Sonic the Hedgehog fan art is being sold on poorly made t-shirts, yeah you don't own the rights to Sonic but still you put time and effort into that drawing and someone else is making cash off it for nothing.

Well he did sell it to him, they should have been more careful about what rights he received with the purchase?

#24 User is offline doc eggfan 

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:58 AM

• bona fide games journalist
  • Project:GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
any transfer of rights from the artist would be voided by the copyright holder anyway. The artist can be upset, but he/she doesn't have a leg to stand on.

#25 User is offline Skyler 

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:05 AM

• On a neverending quest to find the Oldbie Lounge
  • Project:Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3
  • Wiki edits:136

View PostBuyatari, on 29 April 2013 - 11:22 PM, said:

No idea what this is. Rudely cut from something. Back is blank.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#26 User is offline Spinksy 

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

Great stuff!! I remember a few random Sonic merchandise items from back in the early 1990's - all of which have been dumped over time :argh:

Thanks for sharing

#27 User is online ICEknight 

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostBuyatari, on 07 May 2013 - 11:27 PM, said:

Posted Image
Wait a second... isn't that the Clock Work Zone? :O

#28 User is online Master Emerald 

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:08 PM

• Project:College
  • Wiki edits:22
Isn't that just Scrap Brain?

(Considering how different the rest of the art looks compared to the game)
This post has been edited by Master Emerald: 25 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

#29 User is offline David The Lurker 

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

• For some mysterious reason...
  • Wiki edits:1,239

View PostSkyler, on 24 May 2013 - 05:05 AM, said:

Posted Image

It was also used as the cover to one of the issues of the classic gaming magazine SEGA VISIONS. It even contained the maps to the first two levels in that issue! Or maybe it was the following issue. Either way. Um.

Posted Image

#30 User is online ICEknight 

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

View PostMaster Emerald, on 25 May 2013 - 06:08 PM, said:

Isn't that just Scrap Brain?

(Considering how different the rest of the art looks compared to the game)
Looks more like this to me than the final level...

Also, other stuff in those drawings could have been taken from early versions of the game. For example, it's possible to make a green Catakiller by just changing his pallete index, so it might not have been just the artist's creativity at work.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 28 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

• 5 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users