Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Generations Megathread II - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 229 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Generations Megathread II WORD ON THE STREET: IT CAN'T BE BEAT

#31 User is offline Dehry 

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:49 PM

View PostFelik, on 28 October 2011 - 02:51 PM, said:

So Remix of Stardust US in Gens and no US soundtrack in Sonic CD rerelease? That's suspicious.

It comes down to copyright law. It's a remix (and from what I heard, more sampling than remix) and not the original song. I'm not a media lawyer, but I deal with it enough working at a radio station to know about the nasty world of royalties. If Sega puts an original ROM image on an emulator, there was a contract previously agreed to for sales of that game which they abide by. If they want to remake/reuse the music in another work, a new agreement has to be made with the original artist. The Sonic CD re release is a remake using a new game engine. That means the soundtrack has to be licensed to be used. Spencer Neilson/Pastiche would need to negotiate for their works to be used. That's why there was a revision to Sonic Spinball since Sega does not own the Sonic 1 title theme. Since the Japanese soundtrack was made by people employed by Sega there is no problem using those tracks. Spencer Neilson also worked for Sega at the time but anytime vocals by Pastiche are used, they would have to be compensated for their contributions (It's no different than if they had Madonna sing instead.) It's easier (cheaper) for Sega to use the JP/EU soundtrack than to try and use the US soundtracks.

This stuff goes on all the time behind the scenes with games, but never is looked at as much as the differences between the beta and final game.

#32 User is offline Dusk Golem 

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

• Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie...
  • Wiki edits:1
There's actually a remix of the US Stardust Speedway in the game as an unlockable though...

EDIT: Ninja'd a bit, but there's the actual song.
This post has been edited by Dusk Golem: 28 October 2011 - 03:53 PM

#33 User is offline Artimus 

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:55 PM

Oh man that remix is sending chills down my spine. This OST so far has been really amazing, I'm really digging everything I've been hearing so far of it (outside of the vocal themes, never really liked those too much outside of a couple...). I really can't wait to get my hands on this game now! All the amazing stuff I've heard and watched so far has really sold me on this. I am a bit bummed of there being no classic Knuckles at the very least, but oh well :P

#34 User is offline Trunks 

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:57 PM

• AGAIN TRY
  • Project:The Bancast, Lone Stars, LOVE
  • Wiki edits:30
I've listened to nearly the whole OST. Definitely all the remixes. Sonic Generations: Best Video Game Soundtrack in the last twenty years.

#35 User is offline Mykonos 

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:01 PM

• MODE CHANGE.
  • Wiki edits:178
From what I've heard, every remix is incredible, and is on par with, or even surpasses the original.

Except for one glaring track.

For True Story...why? Unless my opinion changes before Tuesday, I have a feeling I'll be loading up the original on my mp3 player when I get to Shadow. =/ Bummer, this was one of the top 5 remixes I was looking forward to. One poor track isn't anything to sneeze at when everything else is so amazing, however.

EDIT: And yes, I have listened to Planet Wisp. Everyone seems to be hatin' on those two, but I quite like them myself.
This post has been edited by Mykonos: 28 October 2011 - 04:06 PM

#36 User is offline Squier Super Sonic 

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:14 PM

• Wiki edits:5
I know the first three cutscenes and a major spoiler cutscene are on youtube but I haven't seen any others. I checked the last few pages of the old thread and didn't see any. Has anyone uploaded them yet?

View PostMykonos, on 28 October 2011 - 04:01 PM, said:

EDIT: And yes, I have listened to Planet Wisp. Everyone seems to be hatin' on those two, but I quite like them myself.

I can understand the hate, it's a tad overdramatic, but as a final stage it suits the mood. The guitars and strings on the classic could be scaled back but I've got nothing but love for that whiny, triangular synth tone.
This post has been edited by Squier Super Sonic: 28 October 2011 - 04:38 PM

#37 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:15 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Go back a few more, you'll find them.

#38 User is offline Felik 

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:19 PM

• Wiki edits:1
Hm... interesting thing.
Mushroom Hill remix in Generations seems to be a different track than Mushroom Hill remix from Gens 3DS.
Maybe it's just an updated version? Doesn't seem so.
This post has been edited by Felik: 28 October 2011 - 04:19 PM

#39 User is offline KittenBurglar 

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:24 PM

I like the modern remix for Planet Wisp (calling it a modern remix makes no sense btw).

Classic, though...

#40 User is offline RGX 

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:25 PM

• Animator
  • Project:Freelance artist for hire.
  • Wiki edits:3

View PostFelik, on 28 October 2011 - 04:19 PM, said:

Hm... interesting thing.
Mushroom Hill remix in Generations seems to be a different track than Mushroom Hill remix from Gens 3DS.
Maybe it's just an updated version? Doesn't seem so.

Spoiler

#41 User is offline ancara 

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:26 PM

Welp guys, I have been listenin', and one track caught me COMPLETELY off-guard when I first heard it.

Based on what I had heard,
Spoiler

This post has been edited by ancara: 28 October 2011 - 04:26 PM

#42 User is offline Solaris Paradox 

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:27 PM

• Project:I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
  • Wiki edits:2
Spoiler tags don't say "spoilers," they say "spoiler."

EDIT: Oh, good, it's fixed.
This post has been edited by Solaris Paradox: 28 October 2011 - 04:27 PM

#43 User is online Mystical Ninja 

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:35 PM

• For old time's sake.
  • Project:Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
  • Wiki edits:282

View PostDusk Golem, on 28 October 2011 - 03:52 PM, said:

There's actually a remix of the US Stardust Speedway in the game as an unlockable though...

EDIT: Ninja'd a bit, but there's the actual song.

Oh, God, YES. You don't know how much it pleases me to know that this song made it into the game. Not that the Japanese/European soundtrack is bad, but to me, it just wouldn't be quite the same without Spencer Nilsen's music, since his is the one I grew up with.

#44 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:38 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Spoiler

#45 User is offline STHX 

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:39 PM

• SEGAAAAAAAAA?!?
  • Project:Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
  • Wiki edits:31

View PostMystical Ninja, on 28 October 2011 - 04:35 PM, said:

Oh, God, YES. You don't know how much it pleases me to know that this song made it into the game. Not that the Japanese/European soundtrack is bad, but to me, it just wouldn't be quite the same without Spencer Nilsen's music, since his is the one I grew up with.

You would be surprised actually. Think about one of your favorite songs from the series, and you can bet it's in the game somewhere. The soundtrack for this game is massive. There is almost everything.

• 229 Pages +
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users