don't click here

Knuckles in Sonic 1?

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Puto, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    That thing's great! Thanks! It even has spin-dash! :lol:

Now it only needs a palette change...

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    What an amazing hack. That was a quite clever change in Knuckles' color arrangement, shame about the few graphic bugs, I guess this is as good as it can get without having to recode many other things.
    I think you missed the point of Knuckles' recolor...

3. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Am I right in thinking that Knuckles' recolour was so the blue colours used on other sprites are unaffected?

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well, I don't think there's any other way to make everything look like it should... Knuckles already got an official socks change in Sonic & Knuckles, anyway.

5. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Weird. Recently I had been thinking of what had to be made to create S1&K and now this topic appears.

Well to make S1&K you would have to edit loads and loads of graphics (and I mean loads):
    - Enemies
    - Barriers
    - Bosses
    - Misc. objects
    - Splash Screens
    - the whole credits / Sonic Team Presents font
    - etc.

These would have to be edited to use the 4-colour grey gradient in pallet line 0, just like many objects in Sonic 2 (memory patch anyone?). It is entirely too much trouble from a practical point of view. But it could be done.

Stealth, I never knew you made a S1&K hack! But then again, I only know you for SonED, SonED 2, Mettrix and E02. Shame on me, you also did the Chaotix Cheat Patcher! :P (j/k)

Pu7o: Acho que tu ?s o ?nico outro gajo de Portugal nesta comunidade. Viv'os portugas!

6. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Well, but he could have given Knuckles yellow socks (since the shoes have a slight yellow portion, the same could be done about the socks...)

Still, it's a great hack, the best I've seen so far! :thumbsup:

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    How in God's name did you port the acceleration system? Tell me!

Source plz.

8. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    I only mentioned people who said they'd do it.

Very impressive though. This is the holy grail of Sonic hacking. Just a few minor bugs need to be fixed.

Gliding/climbing is fairly simple - just a few extra subroutines and some extra lines in the "jumping" code.

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I meant the acceleration system, AKA you run faster on slanted ground. I want that so badly.

10. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    *creams self*

11. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    awwwww

12. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Best time evar. =P

Attached Files:

13. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    [​IMG]
    HA!

14. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    For the record, it seems to work perfectly on hardware. Also, I had a feeling before I even sent the ROM to my SMD that you did indeed fix the "rolling too fast through GHZ S-pipe causes death" bug. :(

15. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    FU. =P

16. superstarCSB

superstarCSB

snootch Member
    Lawrence, Kansas
    I probably should get back to work on my site someday...
    Oh wait, I did ya one better...

Attached Files:

17. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    I'll try to write up an article about this for SHIT sometime tomorrow. I also publicized this a bit over at Acmlm's (I know some of us visit there too), so it sounds like Stealth is forever immortalized as the person to first release a nearly perfect KiS1 hack.

18. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Pretty damn awesome I'd say, although that's actually the understatement of the year. =P Aside from a few colouration errors on Knuckles' shoes (occasionally the yellow part is shaded with the deepest red rather than the brown skin-tone) and the fact that his socks are a bit too light compared to the rest of him (Yes, I'm an aesthetics nit-picker), it's freaking perfect. ^_^

I like the way you even went back and redid all of the demos so that they show off Knuckles' Spin-dash and Glide moves. ^^ The semi-backwards glide-jump at the start of the Spring Yard demo owns.

EDIT: Also, don't know if you noticed, Stealth, but one of the tiles on the leaves of the GHZ trees has become mysteriously mirrored. o_o; It's obvious which if you look at it. Any ideas how that happened?

Also, I just realised Knuckles' lower jump height means you actually have to put a tiny bit of thought into getting the invincibility at the start of GHZ act 3. That's cool. XD

19. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    absolutely beautiful. I always wanted to skip the underground portions of Marble Zone...

20. Ambil

Ambil

I want that heinous hedgehog hammered! Member
    Wow. I have to agree, this is the best Sonic 1 hack of all history, :(

May I get permission from you and inform about this in Sonic Spain? ;)