Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: General Project Thread & Feedback - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 141 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

General Project Thread & Feedback Discuss ideas or issues not pertaining to specific threads.

#631 User is offline Moogle! 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:23 AM

The pixelization on the tree trunks and flowers is what I find jarring, moreso than the differences between Sonic and the Bee.

#632 User is offline SwissCM 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:24 AM

• Wiki edits:1

View PostDark Sonic, on Apr 27 2008, 11:50 PM, said:

Besides the bee on top, I think that it all blends quite nicely.

Sonic is flat-shaded (as he should be), the landscape artwork isn't. Same deal with the second bee (the first is way off).

All of the early Sonic games had a flat-shaded style, though they started to move away from it with Sonic 3 (which probably has the least attractive artwork since the Mega Drive's pallette wasn't exactly colourful).

Sure, they probably made it look that way due to the systems limitations, but much artistic ingenuity is born from limitations. You can still have the game look fantastic in HD while keeping the colour count similar to the original look.

EDIT:
I just thought of something else that is quite important... Aspect Ratio.

As we all know, 4:3 is on its way out and 16x9 is in. Almost all TVs and Monitors produced nowadays are in a widescreen ratio (either 16x9 or 16x10) so wouldn't it make sense to widen the gamefield a little? It may provide some challenges, but it's not like it hasn't been done before. Sonic is very much suited to widescreen.
This post has been edited by SwissCM: 27 April 2008 - 10:27 AM

#633 User is offline SANiK 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:31 AM

• Wiki edits:6
QUOTE (Moogle! @ Apr 27 2008, 11:23 AM) [post="191112"]Posted Image
This post has been edited by SANiK: 27 April 2008 - 10:55 AM

#634 User is online ICEknight 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:22 AM

• Wiki edits:18
QUOTE (SANiK @ Apr 27 2008, 10:31 AM) [post="191115"]Posted Image
[/quote]
Now the first bee blends better with the overall pic.... But if you don't want to take the trees and flower into account, just don't add them to the pic. =P

Since we still don't have any backgrounds finished, I'm still not sure if the badniks will look better to me as CG or as 2D art. On one hand, outside of the games they're sometimes treated like live creatures with different facial expressions, but in-game they're not depicted as "cartoony" like Sonic or Tails. I'd personally like to see how the CG bee looks against a CG background, while keeping the 2D Sonic.

Like I've said many times, the backgrounds have many elements that, since they were originally CG, might require some 3D modelling to look like they should. Else, it would take a lot more time to "try" to make it just look CG, and then any edit would be painful.

So I think the art should be like this:
-Main characters and animals: Cel-like vector art.
-Badniks: I'd make two sets, honestly. I like how both are looking.
-Backgrounds and objects: As CG-like as possible.

#635 User is offline Athelstone 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:39 AM

I agree with Cg-like as possible for the backgrounds IceKnight. I think that the backgrounds are going to need some real depth in order to do them justice. It might also be a lot easier to have them moving if they are done in CG, like moving clouds or water for example.

#636 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:56 AM

How? Remember that the original backgrounds had deformation and scrolling—it'll be much harder to recreate that adequately in CG. It'll be hard enough to recreate it at a higher resolution in general without looking weird, really.

#637 User is online ICEknight 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:07 PM

• Wiki edits:18

View PostTweaker, on Apr 27 2008, 11:56 AM, said:

Remember that the original backgrounds had deformation and scrolling—it'll be much harder to recreate that adequately in CG.

...I really don't see why.

#638 User is offline uk resistant 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:07 PM

hello im new here, but I hope to be contributing, specifically the special stages as im from a 3d background and I have a few suggestions/opinions:

1- I think the shoe buckles should go on sonic, as they aren't in sonic 2 and for me personally are too sonic adventure etc.
2-would be nice to have some 3d dynamics going on (only graphical) I.e screws in metropolis zone are 3d, or perhaps extra layers of objects (perhaps something like a layer of falling rocks closer to the players perspective in mystic cave zone)

3- a split screen co-op mode (give tails lives as well as his own ring count) etc. that's more of a post release thing I think.

any hope to hear some good feedback.

also what is the policy on content creation? is it just get on with it, present it then it gets ok'd or does it have to be commision so to speak?

cheers

edit*

I also forgot..
4. xbox style achivements (again that's a post release)
5.sonic cd style corkscrew spring jumps (though not on every spring)
This post has been edited by uk_resistant: 27 April 2008 - 12:16 PM

#639 User is offline George 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:10 PM

I think having the background moving would be extremely hard to keep looking great like Tweaker said.

As for the background in that image, ICEknight, I don't think a real background looks too great on cartoonish gameplay.

I think minor adjustments to the originals is all that needs to be done. The real life imaging is too much.

#640 User is offline DimensionWarped 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:44 PM

• Erinaceous!
  • Wiki edits:5
I personally don't like the idea of mixing in shaded CG with the regular art. If anything, pre-render them and shade them to fit with the rest of the art frame by frame.

I think it will be for the best both visually and in terms of saving time if everything is just made to match the character sprites as they are now. Flat shading, sticking to the existing pallets, and more than anything, sticking to the concept artwork for enemies and such.
This post has been edited by DimensionWarped: 27 April 2008 - 01:44 PM

#641 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:15 PM

• Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Character Artist
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD
  • Wiki edits:6

View Postuk_resistant, on Apr 27 2008, 07:07 PM, said:

hello im new here, but I hope to be contributing, specifically the special stages as im from a 3d background and I have a few suggestions/opinions:

1- I think the shoe buckles should go on sonic, as they aren't in sonic 2 and for me personally are too sonic adventure etc.
2-would be nice to have some 3d dynamics going on (only graphical) I.e screws in metropolis zone are 3d, or perhaps extra layers of objects (perhaps something like a layer of falling rocks closer to the players perspective in mystic cave zone)

3- a split screen co-op mode (give tails lives as well as his own ring count) etc. that's more of a post release thing I think.

any hope to hear some good feedback.

also what is the policy on content creation? is it just get on with it, present it then it gets ok'd or does it have to be commision so to speak?

cheers

edit*

I also forgot..
4. xbox style achivements (again that's a post release)
5.sonic cd style corkscrew spring jumps (though not on every spring)

Hi uk_resistant,

We still don't have any written "requirements" or "test" for contributors, for now it depends on "how well your results will be helping our development".
Actually, we are in the need of Emerald Hill BG so it'd be great if your contributions will be related to it! :thumbsup:

#642 User is offline Louis 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:18 PM

Hi,
First off let me say I am very excited about seeing Sonic 2 in HD! I'm a computer science major, and when I'm not listening to the ever intriguing lecture I am playing Sonic 2 :-D

For anyone that is interested: I own http://www.Sonic2HD.com and would love to donate it to the project, maybe as a blog of sorts to inform everyone of the project's current status.

Cheers,
Louis

#643 User is offline DimensionWarped 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:49 PM

• Erinaceous!
  • Wiki edits:5
IMO, the less work spent on publicity, the better. Highly publicizing it just increases the chances of it getting noticed on the cease and desist level. Besides, those 5 minutes every day/week/whatever could be better put to use organizing the effort here.
This post has been edited by DimensionWarped: 27 April 2008 - 07:50 PM

#644 User is offline Tweaker 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:55 PM

To be perfectly blunt, I don't give a damn if they send us a C&D. Unless I have a legal notice saying that I am about to be sued, without question, for monetary compensation or something retarded like that, then they can fuck off as far as I'm concerned.

And even then, we can just move the server to Sweden or something.

#645 User is offline Solid SOAP 

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:00 PM

• has covered wars
I think that the CG-like art used for the badniks is going to clash with the vector looking art used for Sonic and company, and I'll have to see what the CG backgrounds look like before I make a statement, but if they're to look anything like the background used in the above picture I say no way, it wouldn't work at all. Recreating the old backgrounds to go along with the current style of sprites would make much more sense, though I'll have to see what you have in mind for "as CG as possible".

• 141 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users