Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Social Media Shenanigans (This totally just happened...) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 109 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Sonic Social Media Shenanigans (This totally just happened...) RubyEclipse and the snarky Hedgehog

#1621 User is offline TheKazeblade 

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:45 PM

• "Our Life is More than a Side-Effect"
I was curious how long the internship would last. As far as internships go, a year is a pretty long amount of time! I hope his departure was on his own terms.

He definitely brought a lot of cred from around these parts to the official goings-on of Sega and softened some of the worst blows and increased the best moments. Any PR/Marketing/Social Media position he moves on to will be absolutely lucky to have him. Not surprised he won't be coming back as site staff considering he lived and breathed the franchise for over a year, but I hope he'll pop in from time to time.

Good on you, man. Best of luck.

#1622 User is offline .Luke 

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:42 AM

• Project:Freedom Planet fan art; Learning Music Theory

View PostTheKazeblade, on 01 December 2017 - 09:45 PM, said:

I was curious how long the internship would last. As far as internships go, a year is a pretty long amount of time! I hope his departure was on his own terms.

He mentioned that in a tweet a while ago: https://twitter.com/...792706482712576

Sergio Montealegre‏ @gene_hf said:

In all honesty, I felt it was time to move on to newer opportunities. There's no ill will behind it or anything, and if it feels like a betrayal to you all (the loving fanbase) I apologize. I'm glad you enjoyed the streams though. Super fun to make every other week!

Wishing the best for him as well. A lot of you Retro folk are fun people, and naturally, it was great to see Gene as a part of the official staff. I'll miss him too, as well as his own Sonic related tweets on the side of the official Sonic Twitter.

If he does return as a staff member here eventually, that would be a day worthy of another party thread, I think. :)/>

#1623 User is offline Ashram 

Posted 02 December 2017 - 07:56 AM

• Wiki edits:13
I won't lie, I actually went to go check Gene's profile. I really hadn't noticed that he hadn't been around for over three months.

#1624 User is offline Herm the Germ 

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:42 AM

• Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor!
  • Project:MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
  • Wiki edits:5
With all that hard-earned cash, first, he's gonna buy himself a pool.
… get it?

Best of luck in your future endeavors, dude. : O

#1625 User is offline blueswirl 

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:08 AM

Aaron Webber on Twitter:

"I'm looking to reach out to a few more highly-talented Sonic fan artists in the future. Who are some of your favorites?"

https://twitter.com/...880852766867456

Could it be Sonic Mania 2 or a new 3D Sonic made by fans?

#1626 User is offline Roller 

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:31 AM

I assume it's a broadening of scope for the project we already know Aaron is organising - in order to get high quality art made for the social media, he's been taking in fandom artists and letting them get feedback from Sonic Team to make sure they understand the house style(s) and don't misrepresent the characters. This results in SEGA commissioning them to make seasonal stuff like the Halloween pictures both this and last year, and the Easter picture this year.

It does eventually let you get closer to the games once you've built up a rapport with Sonic Team, but it's not nearly that quick of a turnaround and probably doesn't involve working on in-game stuff or concept art. For example, I'm pretty sure the Sonic Mania promotional character images that ended up on the boxart and in the manual were made by the same person who's been helping out for a while.
This post has been edited by Roller: 08 December 2017 - 05:34 AM

#1627 User is offline Sir_mihael 

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:01 AM

• DON'T TRUST THIS MAN

View PostRoller, on 08 December 2017 - 05:31 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure the Sonic Mania promotional character images that ended up on the boxart and in the manual were made by the same person who's been helping out for a while.

From what I know, Tom Fry was one of the main Mania artists who did most of the cover art, with Kieran Gates contributing additional promo art. Both of which managed to produce a similar consistent style that matched the classic artwork. However, both of these dudes were a big part of the main Mania team.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had done other promo art before though, this would be nice to know at some point.

I think you're right regarding the constant feedback, as Tom Fry had mentioned he was in quite close contact with Kazuyuki Hoshino and possibly others throughout Mania's development time, getting advice and feedback on various styles and designs.

One example being the juggling Buzzsaw crabs in Press Garden. Tom originally designed them to have normal eyes in their main body, but Hoshino suggested giving them googly eyes that stuck out instead, giving them the look that they have now.
This post has been edited by Sir_mihael: 11 December 2017 - 05:03 AM

• 109 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Yandex