don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works
    [​IMG] Love me or hate me, I'm doing this thing. Its coming along well actually for animating it, just it plays the animation too slow. Either I cut down the frames or find a way to speed it up.

2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I didn't hate the the way he drifted in Unleashed. It's just that Unleashed had a shitty drift that Generations fixed. So since this is just Generations drifting with Unleashed animation I approve.

EDIT: What is the problem with the Mazuri ground again?

3. There's Xbox SDK lying around the internet from what I've seen :V Don't know how much use it would be though.

4. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Microsoft's Xbox 360 SDK != Havok SDK. The Havok SDK (EDIT: The commercial one, which has access to read havok file platforms outside the PC, including the 360 files which is what BOTH versions of Unleashed "HD" use, curiously) would be able to dismantle/convert/do anything to Xbox 360 platform .HKX files. Currently there's no way to convert .hkx files to PC platform HKX files (or even .XML which could be converted to PC platform .hkx), so this brings up an issue. It's the main reason we (k fine Dario and Damizean) put so much research into HKX files (generating them and making them work with Generations gameplay); we simply have no other options other than making our own collision and animations! :v

On the bright side, we ended up learning more about how to make custom collision, physics, and animations, which is a good thing if we want to ever see custom levels get pumped out. Which is ENTIRELY possible and is in the process of being worked on, for all you "oh Generations is too complex to be properly modded" pessimists ;P Had we not come to this issue with HKX files and had to actually learn stuff, that might actually be true.

Also model files are being worked on being cracked; at the time of writing around 90-98% of the terrain-model and terrain-instanceinfo formats have been cracked.... We're very close, believe me.

5. Twilightzoney

Twilightzoney

Tech Member
    Elgin, IL And Hampshire
    Unleashed and Generations Stuff and Custom Works

I have a nice animation I want to use for this, but using it makes it play super slow. I need to find a way to increase the animation playback for this. So I went and used a nerfed version of my animation which is 8 frames instead of 42. But at least it shows that this could be done, the reason its stiff is because I don't want Sonic derping up with jaggedness moving his quills and arms so fast with a few frames. I'll hopefully find it in Sonic.xml, relating to the frame playback speed, unless its dependent on the animation export itself?

6. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    I'm not sure if it's a problem with uv mapping or those textures are supposed to fade in the borders. Also there's no instancing done yet for the grass, so those dark patches at the side there should be animated grass. All we have to do in theory is recreate the animation hkx for the instancing to work properly.

7. Dario FF

Dario FF

I have the hardest reverse engineering boner right now.
    [​IMG]

Sonic likes his new max teapot.

EDIT: To be a little more specific, that's the streetlamp terrain mesh replaced by my own export. It's still a bit limitted, but hooot daaaamn....

8. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I will gladly allow you to slap me in the face with your reverse engineering boner.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Wait... Is that a street light or a trash can. Looks like a trash can to me

10. Dario FF

Dario FF

It's a static lamp post replaced by a teapot. :v: Thanks to a lot of help from Darkspines with the format I've been able to figure out most of the rest of it. Now I only have left to work on getting normals, uvs, grouping files... woot much work ahead. This is the first test I did that didn't crash at least! :)

EDIT: In other words, yes, you're getting your custom geometry ports... eventually... :v:

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh now I see it. I thought you were reffering to the trash can on the left. That teapot is hard to see.

12. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    Is anyone interested in the collectors room models? My mate ripped them and I thought to share it with Retro. I apologise if it's already done....

13. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    I personally wouldn't mind those models whatsoever and would quite appreciate them, even with their static-ness. :0

14. Dario FF

Dario FF

Because there's no uv mapping coords nor GIA applied to it... yet....

Here's a better import of that. I added my name to the model but I rotated it wrong. :v: You can see the D in the 2nd screenshot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member

http://www.4shared.com/rar/eZYnEOM2/Sonic_Generations_Collection_R.html

Here are the rips. Credit goes to Rosanna Weyland for ripping these :)

16. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy

YEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. What model format do you recommend? I start modeling today. I don't even give a fuck how limited it is right now.

17. Dario FF

Dario FF

Well my plan was to use Ogre meshes and materials(since they can be editted manually in a notepad). I would do 3ds BUT it has name limitations so nope. Besides, I can just load up an scene from Ogre in a pretty similar way to convert it to terrain.

There's OGRE exporters for all this software. Have fun picking one! (In case of Max I recommend using OgreMax, although the free version has some limitations). Just do your scene in your favourite 3D software and all you'll have to do is export it later.

It will be quite a while before you can import a full scene though. Gotta figure out grouping files(already got the spec), and most importantly I don't know about the terrain.terrain files. Also need a .material writer.... oh well, fun times ahead. :eng101: At least I kind of know now the basic framework of most of their files.

18. Pexs

Pexs

Otherwise known as Spex Member

Yeah, I might as well start today too! Having the ability to edit something like this will be amazing!

I know we're sitting here shamelessly befitting off your hard work (and I'd help if could, honest), but good luck with that, yeah? All of us look forward to your work!

19. Dario FF

Dario FF

Ha, thanks to Darkspines for doing some awesome research into all this, and here's hoping to a bit more.

Besides, the point of me making an editor is so you(in general) don't need to deal with any of this binary crap and can get right to modelling. I'm not that interested in creating a level on my own, I'm interested in creating the tools so it's possible for the rest.

20. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Awesome, many thanks right back, then. : D