Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Video of earliest known Sonic R prototype - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

Video of earliest known Sonic R prototype From the founder of Traveller's Tales himself

#1 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:50 PM

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8
Jon Burton, the founder of Traveller's Tales and programmer on Sonic R, found his earliest known prototype for Sonic R on an old hard drive. He made a video of him playing it using an emulator:

Link in case Youtube embed doesn't work.

He's been uploading videos of prototypes of other Traveller's Tales games as well.
This post has been edited by TimmiT: 03 September 2017 - 11:59 PM

#2 User is offline JaxTH 

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:01 AM

• Pudding Deity
  • Project:Jack shit.
  • Wiki edits:2
I wonder how many hoarders are bombarding him.

#3 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:09 AM

• Wiki edits:6
This is certainly interesting. It's not all that different to the final game - nothing is unrecognisable.

He says that one of the buildings in Resort Island has an Ichthus on it. Has anyone ever noticed this? I'm curious to see it.

#4 User is offline ICEknight 

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:13 AM

• Wiki edits:18
Wow, that was surprisingly in-depth.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 04 September 2017 - 12:17 AM

#5 User is offline big smile 

Posted 04 September 2017 - 04:29 AM

Sonic R actually started life as a non-Sonic racing game. I wonder if any prototypes of that still exist (It might not have even got to the prototype stage).

He says that one of the buildings in Resort Island has an Ichthus on it. Has anyone ever noticed this? I'm curious to see it.

From memory, I think it's in the village section.

#6 User is online Blue Spikeball 

Posted 04 September 2017 - 05:09 AM

View PostBlue Blood, on 04 September 2017 - 12:09 AM, said:

This is certainly interesting. It's not all that different to the final game - nothing is unrecognisable.

Here you go:
Posted Image

#7 User is offline Jonny Axehandle 

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:03 AM

• Wiki edits:4
Hot damn this makes me nostalgic. Gotta play some Sonic R, and maybe some other games from that era.

It's a huge shame. Give this game some polish on the physics and the engine could have been used for a proper 3D Sonic game on Saturn. Shouldda happened what with Xtreme being the kerfuffle it was.

#8 User is offline High Fidelity 

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:07 AM

I'm still yet to play Sonic R!

Traveller's Tales artstyle put me off at the time, I remember buying Wipeout on the Saturn instead. Will get round to trying it out at some point

#9 User is offline Blue Blood 

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:50 AM

• Wiki edits:6

View PostBlue Spikeball, on 04 September 2017 - 05:09 AM, said:

View PostBlue Blood, on 04 September 2017 - 12:09 AM, said:

Here you go:
Posted Image

Wow. I was expecting something subtle, but that's just staring you right in the face.

#10 User is offline Conzuh 

Posted 04 September 2017 - 08:20 AM

• help
  • Project:Redbubble memery
That certainly flew over my head as a kid. I read recently that there's a lot of Christian references in TT games but I never considered Sonic R.

It's wonderful to see this though. The question is, will he ever er, "release" it? :v:

#11 User is offline Hydr0city 

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:20 PM

• Sonic the Fighters for EVO 2018
Oh wow! I love seeing old prototypes of games so this is really neat. Never expected anything like this to ever show up.

The broken loop has got to be the funniest part.

Thanks for sharing this!

#12 User is offline Overlord 

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:31 PM

• Substitute Meerkovo IT Chief
  • Project:VGDB
  • Wiki edits:3,204
Saved the video, just in case =P This needs to go onto the wiki!

#13 User is offline Black Squirrel 

Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:02 PM

• wikiman
  • Project:thinking of a better member title
  • Wiki edits:20,569

View PostBlue Blood, on 04 September 2017 - 07:50 AM, said:

Wow. I was expecting something subtle, but that's just staring you right in the face.

This was written about once - I can't remember if it was in an online interview or magazine, but I noticed it as a youngling.

I found Sonic R a bit cryptic as a lad - I didn't realise you had to finish first to collect chaos emeralds, so you start over-analysing textures like this for clues.

I had a much higher opinion of game designers (if not humans in general) back then.

#14 User is offline witapepsi 

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:52 PM

• Meseta Stealer
  • Project:Just discovering!

View PostBlack Squirrel, on 04 September 2017 - 03:02 PM, said:

This was written about once - I can't remember if it was in an online interview or magazine, but I noticed it as a youngling.

I found Sonic R a bit cryptic as a lad - I didn't realise you had to finish first to collect chaos emeralds, so you start over-analysing textures like this for clues.

It's mentioned in this Gamasutra interview from 2006.

“However,” Burton adds, “for the eagle eyed Christian game players, Puggsy had a room with a bible verse in huge letters and Sonic R had the Christian Ichthus - fish symbol, like on the back of cars - above the houses on the first track.”

You can sort of see the symbol in the demo video during the split screen comparison part, but only for a split second. I'm no religious person, but it's fun to find out stuff like this lol.

#15 User is offline Shoemanbundy 

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:43 PM

• Project:selling shoes
  • Wiki edits:1
Looks like Sonic R must have been one of those games with a pretty rigid development. They knew exactly what they wanted from the beginning going by how little it differs from the final. I'm betting all the other stages didn't change too drastically, either.

He said in one of the comments that the build is time-stamped May 2, 1997, and the retail release was within the same year, so this was a pretty fast project!

• 3 Pages +
    Locked Forum

5 User(s) are reading this topic
2 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Oldbie: kcowolf,
  2. Oldbie: Cooljerk