Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 273 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC) Developed by Christian Whitehead, Headcannon and PagodaWest

#3241 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:46 AM

• Project:Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition; Sonic Genesis Adventure (Let's see how long this lasts :V)
  • Wiki edits:10

View Postbig smile, on 16 February 2017 - 09:27 AM, said:

View PostDark Sonic, on 16 February 2017 - 08:18 AM, said:

If it's a 50/50 split between Classic and original levels we're likely seeing 10 levels + some kinda end game boss level.

I think Iizuka said it's not going to be a 50/50 split and there will be more classic levels. However, we've also been told it's a big game and there will be plenty of new content.

I honestly don't believe a thing that man says at this point. He just says stuff just because.

#3242 User is online High Fidelity 

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:36 AM

View PostDark Sonic, on 16 February 2017 - 09:46 AM, said:

View Postbig smile, on 16 February 2017 - 09:27 AM, said:

View PostDark Sonic, on 16 February 2017 - 08:18 AM, said:

If it's a 50/50 split between Classic and original levels we're likely seeing 10 levels + some kinda end game boss level.

I think Iizuka said it's not going to be a 50/50 split and there will be more classic levels. However, we've also been told it's a big game and there will be plenty of new content.

I honestly don't believe a thing that man says at this point. He just says stuff just because.

Haha. Yeah, hoping for more original content than that, but should be good game either way. It's in good hands. If this does well I would hope we see a new classic game with all new content, which would be nice.

Although this is SEGA and I can't fucking predict anything they do :v:

Just a thought, but could this project have started out as a just a 3&K remaster but Stealth/Tax had new level ideas, so SEGA decided to incorporate those also? How was this project pitched, or did SEGA reach out to you guys?

#3243 User is offline MaskedMage 

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:16 AM

Actually, because we in this community can enjoy hacks that change mostly level design only (like Sonic 1 Alt, Sonic 3 DA Garden Edition or the recent Untitled Sonic 1 Hack, to name a few), it could be not a big problem for us if many classic zones are going to be reused. I differentiate Genesis Sonic games between each other less over time, so they are for me almost like sets of levels packaged with engine that has slight, if not none, modifications between each sets (save for the special stages). Similar instance is seen in classic Doom - 1, 2, Final and all fan-made vanilla mapsets.
On the other side though, we'd like to play something fresh as it is an upcoming commercial game.

#3244 User is offline Sparks 

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:53 AM

• Project:Kyle and Lucy: Wonderworld
  • Wiki edits:21
Things can always change mid-development too.

#3245 User is offline HEDGESMFG 

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:02 PM

So that panel starts about now. Any livestream or tweets we can follow for info?

Also, wonder if Mania will support modding? What if the next generation of Stealth/Taxman 2D fan turned pro devs are hackers who would hack Mania with new stages only to get hired someday?

Sonic-ception, anyone?

#3246 User is offline Roller 

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:28 PM

March 16, not February.

#3247 User is offline MaskedMage 

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:36 AM

By the way, according to what we've seen from videos and screens, I assume that Special Stages will be accessed through well-hidden Giant Rings, like in S3&K. It's.. kind of meh for me. I don't like this way much as it focuses more on exploration than the real essence of the gameplay. I definitely prefer the "gotta go fast" thing and keeping at least 50 rings, whether the access opens above checkpoints or finish signs. At least Special Stages in S3&K are really fun, so I hope Mania will also offer awesome Emerald hunt.

#3248 User is online High Fidelity 

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:53 AM

View PostMaskedMage, on 17 February 2017 - 09:36 AM, said:

By the way, according to what we've seen from videos and screens, I assume that Special Stages will be accessed through well-hidden Giant Rings, like in S3&K. It's.. kind of meh for me. I don't like this way much as it focuses more on exploration than the real essence of the gameplay. I definitely prefer the "gotta go fast" thing and keeping at least 50 rings, whether the access opens above checkpoints or finish signs. At least Special Stages in S3&K are really fun, so I hope Mania will also offer awesome Emerald hunt.

I actually prefer the way 3&K done the special stages, more than any other Sonic game.

Finding and holding onto 50 rings then hunting down a lampost, or opening a goal ring is harder, imo

#3249 User is offline MaskedMage 

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:08 AM

Probably it may be harder. But analogically in S3&K - when you're unlucky enough by taking paths that contains the least Giant Rings, you may end up accessing Special Stages less than 7 times. I guess that's why you can access SS infinitely after beating the game, as a recompensation. Still, there are some players who will feel better if they get all emeralds in one run.
So I hope Mania will have a fair amount of attempts in SS, cause it's really easy to make mistakes out there.

#3250 User is online High Fidelity 

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:19 AM

View PostMaskedMage, on 17 February 2017 - 11:08 AM, said:

Probably it may be harder. But analogically in S3&K - when you're unlucky enough by taking paths that contains the least Giant Rings, you may end up accessing Special Stages less than 7 times. I guess that's why you can access SS infinitely after beating the game, as a recompensation. Still, there are some players who will feel better if they get all emeralds in one run.
So I hope Mania will have a fair amount of attempts in SS, cause it's really easy to make mistakes out there.

Or if they are really feeling sadistic they can always do it a la' Sonic Advance 3 ;)

#3251 User is offline Dark Sonic 

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:03 PM

• Project:Sonic Lost World: Nonexistent Six/Fixed Edition; Sonic Genesis Adventure (Let's see how long this lasts :V)
  • Wiki edits:10

View PostHigh Fidelity, on 17 February 2017 - 11:19 AM, said:

Or if they are really feeling sadistic they can always do it a la' Sonic Advance 3 ;)

That's nothing compared to Sonic Advance 2's masochism.

#3252 User is offline OcelotBot 

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:05 PM

• Scooty-Puff Jr sucks!

From the footage we've seen, each act appears to have two giant rings. Whether this is the same across all acts is anyone's guess. Considering Mania is going to be a big game (I'm guessing at 14 zones; 8 re-imagined and 6 new) I think two special stages per act (like in 3D blast) is more than enough. We can only assume you won't need to collect rings to access the special stages like in 3&K, but whose knows...

Some acts in 3&K have as many as three or four giant rings (Marble Garden act 1 has eight) so it was never hard to find enough special stages to get the emeralds and the blue-sphere special stages are probably the easiest out all the classics games.

As for what you said about "I don't like this way much as it focuses more on exploration than the real essence of the gameplay, gotta go fast".

Erm, there's a lot more to the classics than hold-right-to-win! Going fast is fun to an extent, but using your skill (and speed) to find and explore all multiple routes, uncovering all hidden secrets is the real appeal of the classics for me, and finding hidden giant-rings in 3&K always feels rewarding. I'm gonna love exploring every inch of Studiopolis & Mirage Saloon!
This post has been edited by OcelotBot: 17 February 2017 - 01:06 PM

#3253 User is offline TimmiT 

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:32 PM

• Probably part of some problem
  • Project:Big screenshots
  • Wiki edits:8
https://twitter.com/...658743137406977

#3254 User is online High Fidelity 

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:34 PM

View PostDark Sonic, on 17 February 2017 - 01:03 PM, said:

View PostHigh Fidelity, on 17 February 2017 - 11:19 AM, said:

Or if they are really feeling sadistic they can always do it a la' Sonic Advance 3 ;)/>/>/>

That's nothing compared to Sonic Advance 2's masochism.

That's what I meant to say :v:

Edit: that new roller bandick looks great

Edit 2: best typo, leaving it
This post has been edited by High Fidelity: 17 February 2017 - 01:39 PM

#3255 User is offline MaskedMage 

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:04 PM

View PostOcelotBot, on 17 February 2017 - 01:05 PM, said:

[...]

Erm, there's a lot more to the classics than hold-right-to-win! Going fast is fun to an extent, but using your skill (and speed) to find and explore all multiple routes, uncovering all hidden secrets is the real appeal of the classics for me, and finding hidden giant-rings in 3&K always feels rewarding. I'm gonna love exploring every inch of Studiopolis & Mirage Saloon!

Actually, I didn't imply that hold-right-to-win is essential as rather doesn't fit my statement, especially when 50 rings have to be secured. Sonic games offer momentum-based gameplay. IMO the control and physics of Sonic are so complex and fun that can be compared to other physic-based games. The level design encourages to use the potential of controls and physics to the max in order to get as much fun of it. That's why even highly skilled players can enjoy these game the more the better games are beaten - in order words there is a very little chance to have the fun and replayability "bottlenecked" as in Mario. If not this, I would play instead other games more. Not to mention it's satisfying to see great time- and ring bonus then a mere 100 pts in the end of a level. Compare it to Tetris The GrandMaster - a subseries that I prefer greatly over standard Tetris. In short: what TGM is to Tetris, the same is Sonic to Mario.

With that said, the search for Giant Rings in the middle of a level, especially when they are in Guide-Dang-it places hidden, breaks my aforementioned "philosophy", thus by some extent the gameplay nature of Sonic.
This post has been edited by MaskedMage: 17 February 2017 - 05:06 PM

• 273 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

15 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users