Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Character Art - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 22 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

Character Art Sonic, Tails & Small Animals

#61 User is offline Master Emerald 

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:42 PM

• Project:-
  • Wiki edits:22
That tails reminded me of those deformed babies people post o.o

#62 User is offline zemulii 

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:29 PM

Making slow progress. It's still so much trial and error for me working in vector. But at least I'm learning. I'm sure it'll all click one day and then I'll be able to just churn stuff out wink.png.

Left, Vector; Middle, Concept; Right, Sprite:

Larger:

This post has been edited by zemulii: 22 April 2010 - 05:26 AM

#63 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:00 AM

• Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Character Artist
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD
  • Wiki edits:6
Trasparent or green BG please! wink.png

#64 User is offline zemulii 

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:30 AM

Sorry Vincent, edited the original post (a lot easier on the eyes!).

#65 User is online ICEknight 

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:51 AM

• Wiki edits:18
The beak is starting to look disturbingly realistic. You don't need to add that kind of details if they don't fit the cartoony nature of the artwork.
This post has been edited by ICEknight: 22 April 2010 - 09:02 AM

#66 User is offline RedStripedShoes 

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:56 AM

• And I'm gone again.
  • Wiki edits:1
QUOTE (ICEknight @ Apr 22 2010, 08:51 AM)
The beak is starting to look disturbingly realistic. You don't need to add that kind of details if they don't fit the cartoony nature of the artwork.

I think it looks cute.

#67 User is offline Volpino 

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:02 PM

• Things are looking up!
  • Project:A secret. >:3
  • Wiki edits:16
QUOTE (RedStripedShoes @ Apr 22 2010, 10:56 AM)
QUOTE (ICEknight @ Apr 22 2010, 08:51 AM)

I think it looks cute.

I agree with this. It's just shaded well.

Sorry if this is a bother, but are there any freeware vector programs that aren't hard on resources?

edit: A little blended shading on the cucky picture might make it look a bit more like the other sprites, or at least adding the extra shades in between, and making that pinkish shade on it's white a little darker. It's hard to differentiate the whites of it's eyes with it's feather color, adding some of that lighter purple used in the darker areas of the picture around the rim of the eyes would help.

#68 User is offline zemulii 

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (ICEknight @ Apr 23 2010, 01:51 AM)

I was debating with myself over whether to keep it like that or not, but I decided it probably wouldn't be much of an issue when you can hardly see any detail at game size anyway (which doesn't bother me - it's good practice!). So I just decided to leave it and get on with the rest.

QUOTE (Volpino @ Apr 23 2010, 05:02 AM)
A little blended shading on the cucky picture might make it look a bit more like the other sprites, or at least adding the extra shades in between, and making that pinkish shade on it's white a little darker. It's hard to differentiate the whites of it's eyes with it's feather color, adding some of that lighter purple used in the darker areas of the picture around the rim of the eyes would help.

Yeah it's still got quite a bit of shading to do (all this for one frame heheh - still, I suppose the first is the most important)! I know the eye is quite hard to see at the moment. I haven't really given that part too much attention just yet, but I'll try to darken up the rim to separate it smile.png.
This post has been edited by zemulii: 22 April 2010 - 06:14 PM

#69 User is offline Vincent 

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:28 PM

• Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Character Artist
  • Project:Sonic 2 HD
  • Wiki edits:6
QUOTE (zemulii @ Apr 22 2010, 06:29 AM)
Making slow progress. It's still so much trial and error for me working in vector. But at least I'm learning. I'm sure it'll all click one day and then I'll be able to just churn stuff out wink.png.

Larger:
Getting the hang of vectors eh! smile.png

I could sum up all my suggestions into: get back its colour scheme to the Concept.

Keep up with different attempts guys, they are very useful! wink.png
Anyone takes the challenge to try out some more artworkish path with Tails?

Volpino, besides the vector program of choice which is Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape is freeware and compatible with several vector formats. Not as powerful as the former though.

#70 User is offline zemulii 

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (Vincent @ Apr 23 2010, 11:28 AM)
Getting the hang of vectors eh! smile.png

I could sum up all my suggestions into: get back its colour scheme to the Concept.

They're more fun than I thought they would be wink.png. It's like a whole different way of thinking compared to regular drawing. Okay, I'll see about the colour scheme once I'm happy with the shading. I was thinking everything looked a bit blueish and cold before, but that was probably more due to the fact it was bland and unshaded. So I'll change it back later.

#71 User is offline Hamneggs 

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:12 PM

• Official Breakfast of S2HD
  • Project:Networked lighting
QUOTE (zemulii @ Apr 22 2010, 06:44 PM)
They're more fun than I thought they would be wink.png. It's like a whole different way of thinking compared to regular drawing. Okay, I'll see about the colour scheme once I'm happy with the shading. I was thinking everything looked a bit blueish and cold before, but that was probably more due to the fact it was bland and unshaded. So I'll change it back later.

Also, if it matters your version of the feet are a tad darker and less defined due to the lost contrast. And also, I would suggest also a few more steps to soften the shadows, particularly from the wing onto the tail, and the head onto the body. And the eye outline is missing. And so concludes my low-grazing nitpicking. Fix that, and along with the color scheme in general, and I feel that it would be promptly approved.

#72 User is offline Cerulean Nights 

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:49 PM

• Sonic 2 HD Sprite Artist
  • Wiki edits:1
QUOTE (zemulii @ Apr 21 2010, 11:29 PM)

Larger:

I think it's looking great so far! One thing that is bothering me is that there is a shadow on the top part of his back foot, instead of the bottom. Your lighting looks like it is coming from directly in front of the chicken, when really it should be coming from somewhere above where the camera would would be, up in the sky, if that makes any sense. Take a look at the lighting on other sprites to get a better idea.

#73 User is offline zemulii 

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (Hamneggs @ Apr 23 2010, 02:12 PM)
Also, if it matters your version of the feet are a tad darker and less defined due to the lost contrast. And also, I would suggest also a few more steps to soften the shadows, particularly from the wing onto the tail, and the head onto the body. And the eye outline is missing. And so concludes my low-grazing nitpicking. Fix that, and along with the color scheme in general, and I feel that it would be promptly approved.

I'm intending to add more steps to most of the shading. A lot of areas I haven't even begun to shade really. I've mainly been focusing on the head so far. Don't worry, I'll put more detail into it and soften it up wink.png.

QUOTE (Cerulean Nights @ Apr 23 2010, 03:49 PM)
I think it's looking great so far! One thing that is bothering me is that there is a shadow on the top part of his back foot, instead of the bottom. Your lighting looks like it is coming from directly in front of the chicken, when really it should be coming from somewhere above where the camera would would be, up in the sky, if that makes any sense. Take a look at the lighting on other sprites to get a better idea.

Thanks! Ahhh I thought I might run into the lighting direction thing eventually. I wasn't really even thinking about it when I drew up the concept and I've just been basing my shading on that (whoops). The highlights would be the main problem right? I'll see what I can do about the shadow on the back foot.
This post has been edited by zemulii: 22 April 2010 - 11:13 PM

#74 User is offline Volpino 

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:06 AM

• Things are looking up!
  • Project:A secret. >:3
  • Wiki edits:16
QUOTE (zemulii @ Apr 23 2010, 12:12 AM)
QUOTE (Hamneggs @ Apr 23 2010, 02:12 PM)

I'm intending to add more steps to most of the shading. A lot of areas I haven't even begun to shade really. I've mainly been focusing on the head so far. Don't worry, I'll put more detail into it and soften it up wink.png.

QUOTE (Cerulean Nights @ Apr 23 2010, 03:49 PM)

Thanks! Ahhh I thought I might run into the lighting direction thing eventually. I wasn't really even thinking about it when I drew up the concept and I've just been basing my shading on that (whoops). The highlights would be the main problem right? I'll see what I can do about the shadow on the back foot.

You might also want to lighten up the tail, because until I looked at the sprite, I confused it with the opposite wing, and then add an opposite wing with the shades you're using now. I realize the sprites didn't originally show two wings, but I think it would look much better since we're able to do more detailed sprites.

Also, I did have a copy of Inkscape but it was outdated. Glad that was brought up because I completely forgot about it and it disappeared from the listings of programs. Thanks. (Google is shit for looking up programs, it wasn't like I asked without trying, I've been trying for months because my computer can't run Illustrator because it requires too much RAM.)
This post has been edited by Volpino: 23 April 2010 - 12:07 AM

#75 User is offline zemulii 

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:10 AM

Adding the second wing could be an idea. I'll see how it looks.

• 22 Pages +
  • ◄ First
  • Last ►
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users