Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: Hirokazu Yasuhara revealing all kinds of Sonic development stuff - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 46 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

Hirokazu Yasuhara revealing all kinds of Sonic development stuff Including that Sonic 2 was going to have time travel

#676 User is offline Master Emerald 

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:12 PM

• Project:-
  • Wiki edits:22

View PostChebghobbi, on 24 March 2018 - 08:02 AM, said:

View PostDigitalDuck, on 22 May 2017 - 04:01 PM, said:

It also wouldn't make sense to call a zone that's in an earlier time period and a different place than Green Hill Zone, "Neo Green Hill Zone".

Sorry, very late to this party.

It actually makes perfect sense because 'neo' is the ancient Greek word for 'young'.

Young in 'fresh', 'contemporary'. You're actually distorting the meaning. The antonym of 'neo' is 'paleo' (yep, from paleontology) and would be adequate for describing an ancient green hill.

#677 User is offline ThunderPX 

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:35 AM

• Wiki edits:20
Let's not pretend the people behind "Genocide City Zone" had any idea what they were doing with the level names.

#678 User is offline Andrew75 

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:30 AM

• Technical Artist
  • Project:Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
Hey guys ! I woke up to a message from a Discord friend who is currently offline now. He asked me to post these here in hopes that people like cat could find them useful for perhaps an alternate starting point to clean, color, and fix up.
I'm not sure if he wanted me to give his name and any background info on the scans in where he had obtained them. I'll make an update when I get any info on the images the next time he is on.

Edit: Ok so yeah guys, the images were taken by xrick03, he doesn't have an account here so he had asked me to post them. His source for the images came from the video here:
https://www.youtube....h?v=J-3avMBqJ9s

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
This post has been edited by Andrew75: 31 March 2018 - 11:23 AM

#679 User is offline XRick 

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:18 PM

• Wiki edits:2
I've been following this topic almost since it started, and I've been enjoying it so far.
The idea that there could have been 2 time-travel-related stories released at almost the same time could've been quite appealing, if not to compare both of them and see each person decide which they could deem better.
As one who loves game maps, these ones are simply amazing to look at, especially because they even list the zones each one had.
Too bad Yasuhara hasn't dumped them online, nor even South Island, I'd love to keep them in my computer for life.

One thing I've been wondering is the fact nobody seems to have felt, so far, like trying to reproduce Sonic2's original concept.
Since I have no programming, hacking or modding skills, I don't have the first idea of how it could be made.

Anyway, I've notified Kat about the maps Andrew75 helped me post here, before I could do so myself, maybe sometime soon we may see new versions of the works of art she previously made. I, for sure, shall be awaiting them.

#680 User is offline Hitlersaurus Christ 

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:38 PM

• @gayanimedad
  • Project:Snoic Generatons 2017
With this community being what it is, I'm sure a Sonic 2 hack based on this stuff will happen eventually. Then again, I thought the same thing about a Sonic 4 demake and that never happened...
This post has been edited by Hitlersaurus Christ: 09 May 2018 - 03:39 PM

#681 User is offline Ashura96 

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:44 PM

• FUTURE 2222
  • Wiki edits:6
Enthusiasm for Sonic 4 died pretty quick. Creating "what could have been" for Sonic 2 has a lot more allure and appeal.

#682 User is offline Blue Spikeball 

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:49 PM

I'd perhaps attempt to recreate the original concept in the form of a hack or fangame, if I had the artistic skills required to produce the level art for the scrapped levels :v:

#683 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:59 PM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL

View PostBlue Spikeball, on 09 May 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

I'd perhaps attempt to recreate the original concept in the form of a hack or fangame, if I had the artistic skills required to produce the level art for the scrapped levels :v:/>

I'm in the same situation. I essentially made a full game design document when these maps (and the other concept art) were made available, with a potential level order (based on the back-and-forth we had in the thread before), potential gimmicks and badniks found in the new levels, setpieces, story and cutscenes (S3K style of course), music (reorganising the existing tracks and descriptions of new tracks) etc.

But I don't have the artistic ability to draw any of these, even in sketch format, and even adding art and music is beyond my hacking abilities (at least at the moment), let alone the other stuff. And of course, nobody wants to make my vision of "the real Sonic 2" because anyone capable of doing so has their own vision.

Maybe I'll get round to it at some point but for now it'll sit on my hard drive.

#684 User is offline Glaber 

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:03 AM

• Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA
  • Project:Gmod Ragdolls and Props, Pony maps
  • Wiki edits:10
I'd love to see a new hack based on this happen too. Maybe Called Sonic 2 DX Director's Cut?

#685 User is offline HedgeHayes 

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:25 PM

• Project:Too many of them
Put me in the "I want to do that but I can't yet" list. I was thinking about naming it "Sonic 2B" to link it both to a beta concept and a more shakespearean approach because, in fact, it wasn't but could have been. I would have made it more inspired in than reconstructed from, however, and in the form of a fangame due to how big it seems for a hack.

#686 User is offline Hez 

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:39 PM

• Asshole
  • Project:Your mother
  • Wiki edits:27
It blows my mind that the blue mountains in the background of Hill Top zone are likely another zone, Blue Lake Zone.

#687 User is online pacguy 

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:00 PM

• ASM amateur
  • Project:Sonic 2 CD Remix
I always thought it might be cool to do a Sonic 2 hack that tried to recreate the original ideas as accurately as possible. I was actually inspired to add a 7th emerald to my first Sonic 1 hack, by hiding it in HPZ, which is based on what I heard about it at the time. I've been thinking about doing this for a while now; adding in Cyber City, Wood Zone, Dust Hill, Rock Zone, etc. as they actually might have appeared in the final game if the design hadn't been shifted. Of course, there are still some holes in what I know that would make this difficult (how exactly would you time travel? Surely it wasn't going to work like Sonic CD...), but it all seems possible.

Of course, I can't draw, and my level layouts aren't exactly the best these days, but I do have some of the skills required to actually get a project like this off the ground. Maybe I'll get around to it someday...

#688 User is offline DigitalDuck 

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:25 AM

• Arriving four years late.
  • Project:TurBoa, S1RL

View Postpacguy, on 10 May 2018 - 01:00 PM, said:

Of course, there are still some holes in what I know that would make this difficult (how exactly would you time travel? Surely it wasn't going to work like Sonic CD...), but it all seems possible.

Time travel would've been story-driven like in Sonic '06, just a plot device to get you from one zone to the next.

• 46 Pages +
  • ◄ First
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users