Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board: What would happen if… - Sonic and Sega Retro Message Board

Hey there, Guest!  (Log In · Register) Help
  • 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

What would happen if…

#16 User is online Dark Sonic 

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:31 PM

• Project:Working on my art!
  • Wiki edits:10
What I was always curious about is could S2&K access all the extra stuff from Sonic and Knuckles? Like could you change the art that's loaded so that instead of like the Sonic 2 title cards loading the Sonic & Knuckles title cards loaded but with the Sonic 2 level name? Or could you somehow start the game off in Mushroom Hill zone after you beat Death Egg Zone (I almost think that plot wise this would sort of work)? Or could you even use Sonic 3 Sonic instead of Sonic 2 Sonic?

#17 User is offline Hanoch 

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:01 AM

• Also known as TheKnock, Birashot
  • Project:everything
  • Wiki edits:8
I don't really understand about these things but the maximum size of a ROM is 4mb. If you take a sonic 2 hack, lets say, s2ae and lock it with s&k it will overload the size of the ROM and nothing would happen (because from posts I read in here, s&k is 3mb and s2ae is obviously bigger than sonic 2 itself). Unless you use bankswitching, then you might be able to play knuckles in S2AE.

#18 User is offline Cinossu 

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:10 AM

• inverted with love~
  • Project:Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
  • Wiki edits:474

View PostHanoch, on May 1 2009, 03:01 PM, said:

I don't really understand about these things but the maximum size of a ROM is 4mb. If you take a sonic 2 hack, lets say, s2ae and lock it with s&k it will overload the size of the ROM and nothing would happen (because from posts I read in here, s&k is 3mb and s2ae is obviously bigger than sonic 2 itself). Unless you use bankswitching, then you might be able to play knuckles in S2AE.

Sonic & Knuckles is 2mb, Sonic 2 is 1mb. The 3mb I was talking about is those two combined, then with the added 256kb at the end for S2&K to work.
Therefore, you'd need to keep your rom hack within 2mb (and that 256kb after 1mb as the heavily edited upmem with references to your hack) for it to work.

#19 User is offline Hanoch 

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:15 AM

• Also known as TheKnock, Birashot
  • Project:everything
  • Wiki edits:8
Exactly what I was saying. If your hack is bigger than 2mb, it will be impossible to play it locked on with s&k. And I am a little wondering, why would someone want to attach s&k to s2ae/s2delta? They already has knuckles in them.

#20 User is offline Spanner 

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:41 AM

• Sonic Hacking Contest Lead Organiser
  • Project:Sonic Hacking Contest, Other Stuff
  • Wiki edits:2,193
Do note that most of the hacks don't fully feature Knuckles. There are still some things that you need to sort out, such as the special stage and the ending. My port is still buggy and is basically just the Knuckles object itself, no changes to the life icon structure, text stuff or anything else. We have a disassembly but it doesn't work right. I also checked some of it and some stuff was wrong as well. Perhaps somebody should work on getting S2K to work, I did suggest snkenjoi to have a look at it since he made build tools for S3K but he's busy.

#21 User is offline JoseTB 

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:30 PM

• Wiki edits:4

View PostDark Sonic, on May 1 2009, 01:31 AM, said:

What I was always curious about is could S2&K access all the extra stuff from Sonic and Knuckles? Like could you change the art that's loaded so that instead of like the Sonic 2 title cards loading the Sonic & Knuckles title cards loaded but with the Sonic 2 level name? Or could you somehow start the game off in Mushroom Hill zone after you beat Death Egg Zone (I almost think that plot wise this would sort of work)? Or could you even use Sonic 3 Sonic instead of Sonic 2 Sonic?

The reason why there's a separate rom for S2&K (as oppossed to S3&K which is the same S&K code, already created with lock-on in mind) is because the differences between S2 and S3/S&K engines are pretty important. You can't just grab any data from S&K because even if you have access from the S2&K rom the formats are different in most cases.

• 2 Pages +
    Locked Forum

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users