don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    Preview for 31 is out.

Sonic has amnesia, acting real weird over in Blaze's dimension. Kind of a box of rocks, likes being called Mr. Needlemouse.

Also I guess Jewel the Beetle is going to be an actual character.

2. Vangar

Vangar

I feel like they should not go with the 'i lost my memory' plot again since they literally just did that with Eggman, feels wierd

Other than that, I've liked the comics a lot so far

3. Pengi

Pengi

Latest BumbleKast - 32m21s.

Interesting behind the scenes bit from the latest BumbleKast. During the Archie days, there would be resistance when pitching new magical gemstones or similar MacGuffin, so Ian would always make sure Sega knew the gem (or whatever) would be destroyed by the end of the story. Ian planned on doing the same with the Warp Topaz in the IDW series, where it would be destroyed at the end of the Metal Virus Saga - but this time, Sega specifically requested that they not destroy the Warp Topaz.

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    So... are SEGA building up to some sort of Sonic Infinity Gems?

Chaos Emerald(s) - Power
    Time Stone(s) - Time
    Phantom Ruby - Mind (Illusions)
    Warp Topaz - Space

Now we just need Soul and Reality, and then the collection is complete!

5. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Phantom Ruby much better fits as Reality Stone than Mind Stone.

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    According to Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces, what we're seeing are illusions.

Again, the Phantom Ruby does not appear to have actually changed the EggRobos we see in the start of Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces states it's casting illusions that are likely powered by "the body is the plaything of the mind" logic. I'm also still not sure Classic Sonic was actually there, with how he disappears at the end similarly to other Phantom Illusions, but debates for elsewhere.

7. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Exactly my point.

Thanos uses the Reality Stone to project an illusion that Knowhere is safe. That the Collector is still alive. That Gamora could kill Thanos. All of it illusions. Illusions realistic enough that they seem real. Illusions that alter reality.

The Phantom Ruby doesn't make Classic Sonic think he's in Green Hill Zone, it warps the surrounding landscape so that it is Green Hill Zone. It doesn't make the Hard Boiled Heavies think they've transformed, it warps their bodies so that they are transformed. Infinite doesn't make the heroes think they're being roasted by a sun, he makes a sun.

Bending reality to one's will, all courtesy of the Reality Stone/Phantom Ruby.

8. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    It doesn't?

Knuckles' cut-scene shows that they're still EggRobos after their encounter with Sonic in his. The Phantom Ruby is also flickering as it's brought on-screen, indicating it activated as it did in Sonic's cut-scene.

Before the Hard-Boiled Heavies fly away from Sonic:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]

It's not actually changed, it's an illusion.

9. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    End of Stardust Speedway: Sonic is standing on a flat platform, Phantom Ruby activates, all of a sudden Hydrocity Zone, Sonic is falling. Either the landscape changed, or Sonic was sent somewhere else.

10. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    He also grabs onto the Flying Battery as it's flying out of Studiopolis.

Again, this is all more "body is a plaything of the mind." I'm not even sure Sonic moved from that spot in Angel Island Zone. We see two different people affected by the Phantom Ruby at two different points in time, one soon after the other, and what we see is that the Phantom Ruby didn't affect anything other than Sonic's perspective:
    1. The Phantom Ruby is still in Angel Island Zone, it's not moved to Green Hill Zone nor has actually turned Angel Island Zone into Green Hill Zone.
    2. The EggRobos are not Hard-Boiled Heavies as they pass by Knuckles, they're still EggRobos. They only change when the Phantom Ruby once again activates and engulfs the character with its power.
    That, to me, suggests the Phantom Ruby is illusion-based, not reality-based: what we see isn't actually what's happening, and the cast are just caught up in the illusion.

Thus, the Phantom Ruby would be the "Illusion Stone" of this potential Sonic Infinity Gems.

11. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    ... and this has to do with the IDW comic... how?

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Warp Topaz might be a Space Stone for a potential Sonic "Infinity Gems", we're debating on what the Phantom Ruby would be, Mind or Reality.

Chaos Emeralds are Power.
    Time Stones are Time.
    etc.

13. Liliam

Liliam

Previously Fred Oldbie
    He didn't ask you to reiterate the unrelated discussion, he asked you how that discussion is related to the topic in the slightest.

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Warp Topaz is from IDW, and we've learned through an IDW source, Ian Flynn, that SEGA want the Warp Topaz intact. That was the source of the topic in question, albeit becoming off-topic due to the debate on the Phantom Ruby's placement on this prospective concept that may be cropping up in IDW (or even the games).

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
  16. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

17. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Can we also get the last issue of Mega Drive printed too? I don't care about any of the other non-printed Archie stuff. Just the last issue of Mega Drive. I need it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Eh, I'd kind of like the last issue of Genesis of a Hero, but I think that might be reaching too far over what is feasible.

19. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    It's funny how even the comic version of Sonic 3's (re)release is denied to us, in a very soul-piercing kind of way. :')

Quite excited for the Classic special. To avoid getting your hopes up I think the miniseries they're describing is either Bad Guys (ie, the one already announced) or another non-Classic one given the wording, but I'd love to be proved wrong. Any Sonic comics are good Sonic comics, me thinks.

20. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3 is cursed, confirmed.