don't click here

TBA Sonic Project

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by the.remaxter, Mar 31, 2019.

1. the.remaxter

the.remaxter

Test renders of my Sonic 3D model in the style of Sonic Adventure 1. Rigging is a work in progress. Project TBA.
    Constructive criticism is always very appreciated.
    Keep in mind the colors and shapes are not truly final, as I'm still finishing up the rigging and see how things work.
    Thank you! <3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

edit:i can't seem to show the images on the post, but I'm sure you can see them through the link. Sorry... newb in these forum things....
    edit two electric bogaloo: The images are now working! Thank you Ravenfreak!!

2. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    I feel like the mouth is just a teeny bit off. Maybe the placement, maybe the size, I can't quite put my finger on it.

Great beyond that.

3. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    The mouth does look a bit off... The lighting and everything else looks fine though. Also to post images on the forum, you'd need the bbcode share link, it'll look like this: [​IMG]. On imgur, it'll be listed under the share links. Good luck with your project!

4. the.remaxter

the.remaxter

Thank you for both the tip and feedback! //forums.sonicretro.org/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

Ye, agreed. I've been struggling with the mouth somewhat. I believe it's both. I'll work on it. Thank you!

5. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    The mouth's issues, I suspect, are caused by what's surrounding it more than the mouth itself. Bring the center brow between the eyes up a bit farther from the muzzle, and bring the nose up a bit (and possibly make it bigger? I can't tell for sure at this angle). If you're specifically aiming for Adventure style, you might also wanna make the eyes a little smaller/lower at the top; these taller eyes are more in line with current Sonic design.

Together, I suspect these will help the mouth.

6. Retroman

Retroman

Made a little edit of the nose position:
    [​IMG]

7. shawnsmitherson

shawnsmitherson

RocketDogShawn Member
    I think you've got a workable Sonic here with a few tweaks! Retroman's repositioning of the nose would definitely help, but I think rethinking your placement on a few things would help a bit too.

I did a half assed overpaint in sai to sort of illustrate what I'm talking about here.

[​IMG]

I personally don't think Sonic works well with a front mouth since he's a translation of a 2D character. Granted, I know this is a take on Sonic Adventure's model. Maybe try to make the mouth a little less symmetrical on the face though? Favor a side for expressions, or something like that.

And I think maybe the placement of Sonic's pupils wasn't conveying Sonic looking toward where he's running. Maybe slightly smaller pupils would help convey that more clearly.

These are just suggestions! You can totally take them with a grain of salt.

8. Retroman

Retroman

I personally like the front mouth

9. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    In instances where Sonic must open his mouth, I also prefer front mouth. Smiling with his mouth closed looks weird, though.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm a fan of the side mouth honestly. I've found most instances of a Sonic front mouth have looked strange.

11. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    My vote is side mouth too.

12. Powpuck

Powpuck

Front mouth is acceptable, but I don't think Sonic's maxillary teeth should be visible as shown here.

13. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I could go either way. I think the front mouth looks odd because I've just not seen it traditionally.