don't click here

Spoiler Free Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Yeah, I ended up looking at a few spoilers and decided that I wasn't going to buy it. Maybe once the inevitable price drop comes around I'll get it, but as for now I'm just not sold on it. I'm just waiting for the reviews to pile in at this point, which I'm 80% sure is going to be very mixed.

2. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Is anyone else having issues with the Bonus Edition DLC? I entered in my code, am sure it is correct, and it doesn't work. Hoping that a pirate didn't already guess it or something.

So far I don't hate it. I'll give a more fully formed opinion later, but it isn't bad so far. It is just more of the same except not broken. I like the homing attack changes. I like the music. I like the characters. I feel like they took a few ideas for characterization from SatAM that weren't terrible. Customization is enjoyable. As far as Adventure-styled games go I like it. My main complaint so far is a little too many automated play style cutscenes for my liking, and naturally even with homing attack being less ezmode, the game is still pretty ezmode.

Mania outclassed this game in most ways so far just sticking to the basics, so let me get that out of the way. With that in mind for what it is, it is surpassing my very low expectations and I find it enjoyable so far.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Regarding the codes I don't think they work 100% yet. A day 1 patch is supposed to come out today that should activate any DLC and fix a few things.

4. Pokepunch

Pokepunch

UK
    A Sonic 2 Hack
    The Steam unlock time for the UK is bogus. Why 4pm? Can't even pre-load the game either.

5. Speaking of Steam...
    The price for the game in the United States is $40 USD. Sounds reasonable enough, right? Well, the price on the Australian Steam store is... wait for it... $45 USD. Yes, they have made the game more expensive for Australians to purchase IN AMERICAN DOLLARS.
    Of course, SEGA are hardly the only publisher to do this. Ubisoft have done it recently with South Park: The Fractured But Whole, and Asscreed Origins (and no doubt countless other games). However, it's a policy of mine to never, ever purchase a game on Steam when the publisher has done this bullshit (as if the presence of Denuvo and the actual game being tripe weren't enough to completely turn me off). They didn't even pull this shit with Mania, for fucks sake. That was $20 USD on Steam both in the US and in Australia. What the fuck?! So angry right now.

6. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    For the Nintendo Switch Eshop: It looks like you can download the bonus Shadow costume for free even if you don't have the game. It will put a Forces icon on your home screen. Anyone know what happens if you tap the downloaded Shadow costume icon when you don't own the game? (I'd check, but I am in the middle of a Mania No Save game which I don't want to close!).

7. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    I'm trying now and will edit this post when done. Most likely it's going to tell me to insert a cartridge (which would be the point of downloading DLC without the game digitally).
    EDIT: It just says "you must have the software in order to play" and has a cloud download icon next to the name. Odd way of handling it.
    [​IMG]

8. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    @Hinchy Thanks! It strange that it gives the costume it's own icon. And also strange that you can download it without owning the game (as it's suppose to be for pre-orders/first week orders only). I guess it's another Switch quirk!

9. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    So I'm an hour or two into the game, and so far it's nothing special, and it's trashy, but it's fine. I'm kind of enjoying it but I have a feeling I won't be feeling the need for a second playhrough any time soon. Classic Sonic is better than in Generations but still nowhere near where it should be, and the snappy platforms don't help the feel. Don't bother rolling, I instinctively pressed down whilst going down a loop and I just slowed to a crawl. This coming after Mania makes any improvements from Generations seem like nothing.

I'm miffed as to why the drift is missing, as that was always really fun. But basically if you enjoyed Colours for what it was and you aren't hoping for too much, I expect you'll probably have a reasonable time.

I'm more into the avatar customisation than I thought I would be.

EDIT: I re-read this and realised I sounded kind of down on the game. I'm actually enjoying it much more than I thought, or came across. It's a bit of a mindless good time like watching reality TV or something.

10. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Yeah it worked for me on PS4 a couple hours after I posted that. Thanks!

11. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    PC version crashes when trying to play for longer than the 2nd stage, confirmed to be an issue with Denuvo; their servers are getting destroyed with all the games currently online using it, or specifically with all the copies of Forces. Or it's just a shitty implementation of Denuvo who knows.

Point is, this time it has objectively damaged the experience of the game :v:

I'd be remiss to exclude this: you CAN play the game in offline mode. Guess its another "day one bug" but this time a bit more... "annoying."

Funny enough it's the opposite effect of Mania's experience lol (in that now you HAVE to be offline)

12. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I preordered the game and played a bit of it last night and this morning. I'm actually enjoying it so far, and I love the soundtrack so far too. It's not as good as mania, but it's definitely better than Lost World and of course Rise of Lyric.

13. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    [LINK]

Sounds like Denuvo botched another PC version of a Sonic game. After the messes Denuvo caused with both Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces, I hope Sega can find a way to alter their contact and remove that DRM from both games. I am willing to forgive Sega for their fuckups if they somehow manage to do that this month with an apology to their consumers. We deserve better than this.

14. MissingNoGuy

MissingNoGuy

Sounds totally automated. Member
    Oof, that is bad. Especially the bit with the FPS. 60 FPS caps it to 30, and 30 caps it to 22? Jesus christ, sounds like they either outsourced the port or it was poorly assessed.

15. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sECcOTO8Ij4

didnt even hesitate a day lmao

everyone get your popcorn and embrace arin's inevitable smarmy "see this series is always shit"

16. Frostav

Frostav

Boy I can't wait to watch them be absolutely fucking terrible at the game and blame it on the controls and not them sucking.

This game looks piss easy and they'll still probably die 1000 times getting to the end

17. Linkabel

Linkabel

The controls do suck in this game so they'll be in the right if they complain.

18. Frostav

Frostav

Doesn't really matter when the levels are all mindless straight lines devoid of any platforming whatsoever

19. ezodagrom

ezodagrom

It was outsourced to Hardlight, which mostly develops smartphone games.
    Somehow launching the game through Steam's big picture mode fixes the framerate limiter.

20. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    So, pre-orders got the Shadow avatar costume, right?