don't click here

Spoiler-free Sonic Mania discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Overlord, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Given it's digital only, I don't think we're going to get those but the Sega heads may greenlight a sequel based on the Metacritic alone. It'd be a good investment in "brand maintenance" to have something Sonic that is doing well with the critical crowd and I'm certain Mania is far cheaper to make than any of the 3d games.

Speaking of which, Taxman ever tell anyone what his salary was while working on this game?

2. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Auto-quote, wow!
    Anyway, I've tried the emulator's simple launcher which seems to be a totally different emulator, and treats my computer better, but I'm not sure I like the way it works. I've started a new S3&K game as Knuckles this time, and, man, devs hated him so much... The game's far less enjoyable playing as him, no matter how enjoyable can be gliding and climbing, thanks to design of his routes. I hope many beats S3&K ten times at this.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Typically it's in poor taste to ask anyone what their salary was for anything. If he says so fine, but it's still kind of a weird question.

Anyway, I am curious about DLC. What do you all think the chances are of us seeing anything in terms of maybe extra modes or characters or whatnot?

4. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    There's a good chance it's under NDA. Even if he wanted to reveal his salary (which I'm sure he doesn't), it's fairly likely he can't anyway.

5. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    He's doing what he loves. The $$$$ is just extra. Unless you are looking for market equity, it frankly isn't any of my business. I just hope they pay him enough for a second Sonic Mania....what ever it may be called.

6. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    Heads up - DO NOT WATCH THE LAUNCH TRAILER

tooooons of spoilers

EDIT: BTW Overloard, you said this thread would only stay up a week, but have you considered letting it stay till the PC Release?

7. I wouldn't be so sure about that, remember Alien Isolation? That game got great critic reviews and a fuck ton of let's plays on YouTube, but still no sequel.

But of course this is Sonic we are talking about. Hoping we get a continuation of the 2D series like we deserve after Mania

8. juicitron

juicitron

Sonic Adventure Unlimited
    I'm mildly upset that the PC release got delayed because this looks like a ton of fun, thank goodness I haven't spoiled myself for anything. I'm sure Mania is going to be a hit with the classic fans.

9. damn, I'm glad you let us know. I was trusting them to not spoil a ton of shit. one more day. i can do this.

10. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    FYI OpenCritic is a way better site than MetaCritic: http://opencritic.com/game/4493/sonic-mania

It doesn't have different pages for every single version of a game, so it actually counts all of the reviews instead of needlessly spreading them out on four different pages. Plus it also lists reviews that don't use scores, and lists the names of the reviewers instead of just the sites they wrote the review for.

Score on there is 86/100 right now btw, counting 31 scored reviews, putting it in the top 4.5% of all games on the site.

Also Eurogamer gave it an Essential, which is essentially the same as a 9/10 or 10/10 from them.

11. Just going to throw out - don't watch Dunkey's review/video on it. Lots of spoilers. Game looks sexy though.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Can there be a physical release collection with this and the Taxman versions of Sonic 1, 2, and CD (and 3K please :v:)? I'd pay $50 for that.

Sonic Jam Taxman Edition :specialed:

13. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I'd pay £1,000 for that <3

14. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Looks like my CE is going to arrive sometime between 2 and 6 PM tomorrow, so I'm glad I went ahead and bought another copy of the game so I didn't have to wait most of the day to play it. I knew that Mania would be bringing in good positive reviews. :)

15. I decided im.going to spoil a bit of the game for myself because I can't stay off the Internet for two weeks and I'm not going to get a PS4 now. I have my new PC controller in my hand and will wait. I do still plan on buying additional copies with new system purchases though.

And honestly, it's fine. Im not going to watch any playthroughs or anything but I have seen the trailer and heard a few things in discussion about the game. I just have felt so personally invested in this games success, for such a stupid reason, that I've just had to know how it's doing out there. And it seems to be doing really great. Phenomenal job, Mania Team.

There is one spoiler about the ending that made me roll my eyes but I won't say anything about it.

16. Pengi

Pengi

So Australia got a midnight launch on Switch? Does that mean the UK will get a midnight release too?

17. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I hope so. I wouldn't sleep for a second though.

18. Pigeon

Pigeon

Nothing really
    I'm hoping it does, although on my Switch there's some other random game that's coming out today that is still on the "coming soon" part of the shop. I was going to use it to gauge what time of day Mania would release, but it's getting close to 11pm of the 14th (although since you're asking about UK release I'm guessing you'd be in the same time zone as me anyway :P ) and that game hasn't come out. Hopefully Mania doesn't do the same thing. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

19. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    That one is now out of the 'coming soon' part at almost midnight. I really hope mania doesn't copy that timing tomorrow night :(

20. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Trying to conserve trial posts and phone data, but a friend has confirmed to me it hit the EU eShop at midnight CET, so I think we're fine, fellow Brits. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.