don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Emerald altar with that background!? Don't say a thing about it; just for you to know, that hyped me more than anything I've seen or read until now. I only was so hyped for Mania when I learnt about it for the first time

2. Epicsuperleader

Epicsuperleader

in the gamespot review they mentioned unlockable characters, idk of thats the & knuckles thing but it has me hyped

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ok question. Do we know if Super Knuckles is a thing in this game?

4. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

I'm both happy and aggravated that they're at least + - being acknowledged   .

Regarding Sonic's ending:
    I know that it was most likely just sequel baiting to help sell Forces, but assuming Sonic Team still cares about the canon:

This has probably been brought up before, but I wonder if this is Sonic Team's way of trying to resolve the paradox created by Generations' ending. Eggman claims that the Classic Sonic in Forces is from another dimension, but what if it's actually the same one from Generations and Mania is what happens after S3&K as a result of Sonic, Tails, and Eggman having all experienced Generations? Their modern selves don't seem to recall Generations in older games (granted, Generations wasn't even a thing back then), but there's no reason for them to forget what happened and behave exactly as they did in the games that compose the Modern timeline.

The biggest issues with this idea would be that Sonic 2, 3&K, and possibly CD all presumably play out the same, though I guess it could be rationalized that Eggman already had most of this stuff set up and Sonic never thought of Knuckles as a villain, making his encounter with Modern Knuckles moot.

Also, if Knuckles Chaotix were to exist in the Mania canon, the backstories of Vector, Espio, and Charmy would conflict with their Heroes portrayal and ages, especially Charmy (who should be an infant if Classic is set 5 years in the past).

5. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    & Knuckles mode!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Liraxus

Liraxus

Some shmuck Member
    Idiotville
    Nothing, really.
    Well Press Garden is a pretty interesting stage...an oriental castle-like factory that...produces newspapers...

I wonder if Press Garden was just made on the idea of mixing the two strangest possible ideas together and making them work.

7. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Jim Sterling's Review

I think this is the highest he ever scored a sonic game.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Eggman converted Egg Garden into a Newspaper printer in order to fight Fake News

:v:

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Policy on spoiler tags:

Mania is out tomorrow (Tuesday) - I think it's fair to say that basically everyone apart from the PC users will be playing Tuesday, so I would say spoiler tags will be mandatory to continue using until Wednesday morning to ensure everyone gets a chance to play, but after that... the internet in general is going to be impossible to police so it's probably going to be fine from then onwards to not bother. Please keep Mania discussion to this thread though - be mindful of the PC users who won't get the game for another 2 weeks.

10. Liraxus

Liraxus

Some shmuck Member
    Idiotville
    Nothing, really.
    Good grief, thinking of that now, I wouldn't be surprised if this level was what born from Taxman's old Egg Garden level.

11. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    At the beginning on Angel Island with the EggRobos before they "turn" into the hard boiled heavies. Also after the Mirage Saloon Act 1 boss when Bean throws the bomb onto the Tornado. I don't regret seeing this as it makes me even more excited to see it!

12. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Regarding the ending
    I realized that by having the game tie into Forces means that SEGA acknowledges that Mania is an official main-series entry of the franchise and not just some fan game made by indie devs, and could also potentially attract more players to the classic series. I was born in 1995 so I didn't grow up playing a Genesis/MD like the rest of you, and I was introduced to the series through Sonic Adventure DX; however Sonic Mega Collection introduced me to the classic games and some time after that I realized that Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the greatest 2D platformer of all time. With that said, I'm glad SEGA wanted to have Mania tie-in to Forces if it means the classic universe is its own thing that we may get more games that take place in it in the future from the Mania devs.
    I'm just glad that we're finally getting a properly done 2D Sonic game, something that I have always wanted after exhausting every nook-and-cranny of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Sonic 4 was such a huge slap in the face, and I remember around the time the Sonic 1 and 2 remastered came out thinking how great it would be if the guys behind it were to make their own Sonic game, and we're finally getting it.

13. Lord Kanti

Lord Kanti

Oh God. Knuckles n' Knuckles mode? Seriously? lmao. The memes are strong in this one.

But seriously. The reviews are promising. The only one I didn't like was IGN. "There should be checkpoints in the boss fights."

... That's why they're called boss fights in the first place. lol

14. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    If that new plot device power source has a connection to the main villain of Forces...

Does that make it an Infinity Gem? :v:/>

15. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    [​IMG]

Polygon seriously fucking sucks

16. There was a rumor there would be a day 1 patch since some zones had no transitions. Any news on whether that turned out to be real or not, AUS/NZ folks?

17. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    IGN said the bosses should have checkpoints???? XD I mean aren't these the same critics of the "hold right to win" mantra?

Is there ANY game that does this outside of using an emulator with Savestates ala Gens?

Cheap deaths are upsetting, but some skill is required. They only had 26 years to practice.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    To be fair there's one instance I saw that could potentially call for a checkpoint:

The Metal Sonic fight. It's a multi parter. You run for a while, then fight him hooked up to the Silver Sonic generator, then run some more, then you're actually hitting Metal Sonic while avoiding a spike wall chasing you while you run around a Robotnik Statue

I'm also curious if a Day 1 patch is coming. Any word on that?

19. Nova

Nova

This holy shit dude I've been wondering about you for a good while

20. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Holy shit, it's Egg1!