don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Violet

Violet

Sweden
    Flicky Engine, Overdrive
    Yep it is.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Either that or Sonic in "Mario x Rabbids" confirmed. =P

3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTfvmCu2nX0

GG Silva.

4. Turbohog

Turbohog

I remember seeing some sketches/animations similar to the one in the latest trailer in this thread about a month or so again? Does anyone else remember them? If so, does it seem like those animations are some of the same animations from this trailer? I seem to remember an animation of one of the new Egg Robo's shooting at Sonic.

Edit: Here it is. Maybe more animation like this is yet to come?

5. Nice! I like how removing the ink layer gives it that minimalistic look. :P

I may try my hand at some coloring in Photoshop some time.

6. Just bought the game. Guess I have 2.5 months to figure out how this Steam thing works.

7. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    If this doesn't massively outsell Generations (which I thought was great, admittedly), Sonic 4, and Forces, I will cry.

This is Sonic's redemption, and the gaming community at large needs to embrace it as such.

8. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Given all the hype surrounding Mania (even in non-Sonic circles), it will probably quickly become one of the best selling Sega games. At the moment, Iizuka thinks it's just some little niche, so I wouldn't be surprised if the success of Mania has an impact on the direction of the series. Forces is probably too late in development to be impacted but I could see them trying to make modern Sonic more classic-like (in terms of game play and level design).

I just hope Iizuka's decision to re-use old levels doesn't create an issue. I know of two casual gamers who gave up on Sonic after SA2. They've seen GHZ and wrongly assume that Mania is just an emulated game. That may seem strange to us, but I think a lot of the non-fans quickly form their opinions then lose interest (And yes of course this is just weak anecdotal “evidence” and so it's not worth reading too much into…).

9. Linkabel

Linkabel

I feel like the elevator is part of the story since it feels like an opening like Sonic CD. Maybe Sonic and co. have to make their way throughout the tower and each floor is an entrance to a level-like virtual reality. It would give an excuse on why they revisit old levels without having to show island hopping (going to South Island, Little Planet, Angel Island etc etc etc.)

10. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Got my Steam pre-purchase in too, and like many here it's the first time I've ever done that. PC is the only system it's coming out on I own currently but I plan to get a Switch eventually so I will defo be double dipping.

Nintendo need to get this trailer up on their channel too. If the previous trailers for the game were any indication, it would probably get even more views there.

11. I would quite like a similar situation to Generations, minus the white void. A whole lot of zones, old and new, mashed together by Robotnik's destructive search for the emeralds. It would make for some interesting level transitions.

12. ^ This, so much. This is the stuff from Sega that should be rewarded, not the half-assed attempts by Sonic Team to keep Sonic relevant and to keep Iizuka employed.

13. Donnie Paradox

Donnie Paradox

Some Gai Member
    I pre-ordered the game on Steam. On day one.

I rarely do that.

I'm that hyped for this game. And it just feels even better knowing that this game is in good hands.

14. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Pre-ordered at Steam and PS4, already had Xbox one collectors pre-order soo.. triple dip, yeah. So hyped!!

15. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Preorder.....Complete. Steam DL.... Complete!

Now to get a controller and Generations in the meantime.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Press email finally confirms that the Collector's Edition will be coming to Switch in Europe. PC Collector's Edition is apparently still exclusive to North America though.
    None of the European Amazon sites are listing the Switch version yet, but it's only a matter of time now.

17. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I wonder how they will handle Metal Sonic. It'd be odd to bring back Stardust Speedway without the robotic doppelganger. But I think this is supposed to take place before Sonic 4 which shows how Metal came back to life after Sonic CD. (The again, Chaotix also showed how Metal was revived, so I guess it wouldn't be too odd having a third game which shows his resurrection after Sonic CD).

18. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Why do we think this takes place before Sonic 4? Sonic 4 used the modern art style, but story-wise it's a classic Sonic game. It also explained Metal Sonic's return with Episode Metal.

19. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

IIRC, S4E1 immediately follows the events of 3K. But it's crystal clear that nobody gave a moment's thought to the story in that game so I wouldn't be surprised to see it swept under the rug and retconned.

20. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US
    Not gonna lie, I would like to see a Sonic 4: Episode I or II zone recreated and remixed in Mania.